PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] can't install tinyproxy

daytripper1021
March 5th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Another newbie here trying out Ubuntu 9.10 Linux. :)

I would like to install tinyproxy so I downloaded the package from the 'net. However, when I tried to install this is what happened:

root@RPBox:~/tinyproxy-1.8.0# sudo apt-get install tinyproxy
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package tinyproxy

It seems that since Ubuntu was installed on my server via CD, apt-get is always searching for the package there. But the problem is that the CD is not anymore in the server and that the server itself is on a remote site.

Is there a way to tell apt-get that "hey! I don't have the CD anymore so install this package that I downloaded, ok?!"?

Hope you can help.

Thanks.

Soulcage
March 5th, 2010, 09:26 AM
You can't use apt-get to install something you downloaded off a site.
It downloads and then installs a package, you would need to read the readme or install file inside the folder for tinyproxy.

If you want to use apt-get you should try:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install tinyproxy

daytripper1021
March 5th, 2010, 09:32 AM
You can't use apt-get to install something you downloaded off a site.
It downloads and then installs a package, you would need to read the readme or install file inside the folder for tinyproxy.

If you want to use apt-get you should try:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install tinyproxy

Thanks. I forgot to mention that I did read the install file and it told me to run ./configure. However, upon running it, I ran into this problem (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1422150).

Soulcage
March 6th, 2010, 07:40 AM
Well since your ubuntu install doesn't have a internet connection you best bet is to just go to http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?suite=default&section=all&arch=any&searchon=names&keywords=tinyproxy and download the package there and make sure to get any dependencies it wants too.