PDA

View Full Version : ubuntu hardware centre

sudoer541
March 5th, 2010, 05:17 AM
Back in a while, I heard that Canonical was making a cloud based app that would analyze the user's hardware and it would tell if the user's computer would be compatible with ubuntu.
Does anyone have any news regarding this? I am very interested.

Sporkman
March 5th, 2010, 05:20 AM
That's actually not a bad idea!

darrenn
March 5th, 2010, 06:11 AM
Would sure cut down on the people who complain their hardware isn't supported.

Psumi
March 5th, 2010, 06:58 AM
Would sure cut down on the people who complain their hardware isn't supported.

ubuntu Hardware compatibility list.

See my sig.

Sporkman
March 5th, 2010, 02:29 PM

See my sig.

Users wouldn't necessarily know how to look up their component info.

undecim
March 5th, 2010, 03:39 PM

See my sig.

@Psumi: Quick, what model timing belt and spark plugs do you have in your car?

That's pretty much how most people feel about being asked what model video card or motherboard they have. Most people don't know and would, as far as they know, have to jump through hoops to find out.

Wouldn't it be easier to download something run it and get a message that says "Your computer should work fine with Ubuntu", or "Your computer will work with Ubuntu, but you will have to install proprietary drivers. Click here for more information"?

mickie.kext
March 5th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Sun had (and now I guess Oracle has :D) Java applet which tells you if your computer is compatible with OpenSoLarry's and SoLarry's 10. It works on all OSes since it is Java based.

Canonical should too use Java in order to support every OS, or maybe check if Sun open sourced their thing and reuse that.

I wanted to provide a link, but can't find it on Oracle site.

PS:here it is (http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/hcts/device_detect.jsp), not open source, in fact it has two pretty nasty EULAs https://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/CDS-CDS_SMI-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewProductDetail-Start?RegistrationDomain=CDS-CDS_SMI-Anonymous&LicenseUUID=vqFIBe.pfwIAAAEmIY4XbFI0&cnum=&evsref=&sln=&ProductUUID=ew1IBe.od8MAAAEmXqpkxFIs&ProductUUID=ew1IBe.od8MAAAEmXqpkxFIs&ProductUUID=ew1IBe.od8MAAAEmXqpkxFIs&LoginForm_Login=Continue+»

markyb73
March 5th, 2010, 04:27 PM
I guess you can just run the live cd to see if everything works but a nice web based app would be cool :D Maybe when you go to download the iso.

Psumi
March 5th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Oh, you want THAT kind of application.

Hardware testing, a gnome app is in the System menu in default ubuntu.

If you don't have it, I don't know how to help you, since I don't know its package name.

Also, how to access the results: http://getsatisfaction.com/canonical/topics/how_does_one_access_the_results_of_ubuntus_hardwar e_test_on_launchpad

Sporkman
March 5th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Oh, you want THAT kind of application.

Hardware testing, a gnome app is in the System menu in default ubuntu.

That would require that you already have Ubuntu installed.

We're talking about a pre-installation app, to help the user to decide whether Ubuntu is right for their machine.

swoll1980
March 5th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Users wouldn't necessarily know how to look up their component info.

When I went to upgrade the processor in my dell a year ago. I had to take my computer apart to find out what kind of mother board it had. It wasn't clearly visible anywhere. I forget where I ended up finding it, but after I pulled it out, I found it in tiny, barley readable letters, stamped on the board somewhere. I don't think the average user would be willing to do this.

sudoer541
March 5th, 2010, 08:30 PM
That would require that you already have Ubuntu installed.

We're talking about a pre-installation app, to help the user to decide whether Ubuntu is right for their machine.

Exactly, and that was the point of this thread in the beginning.
So, I guess no new about ubuntu hardware centre?

Sporkman
March 5th, 2010, 09:47 PM
"Ask your doctor if Ubuntu(tm) is right for you.**

**Side effects may include mental arousal towards computing, difficulty going to bed on time, and mild to moderate shirking of social activities. Seek medical attention immediately if you experience continual mental arousal lasting more than four hours..."