PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Should I install "kubuntu-desktop" on my Ubuntu?

kelvin.illa
March 5th, 2010, 03:27 AM
KDE 4.4 just came out, and Ubuntu 10.10 will be released with GNOME 3 (I think).

Right now I'm on GNOME (Ubuntu). I have been using my Ubuntu since Jaunty. Quite frankly, I'm getting bored as I've used-up all the available features I can find -- the reason why I left OS X (it's so boring in there compared to Ubuntu, honestly), and installed Ubuntu on 'this' MacBook.

I'm really looking forward to "GnomeShell" in GNOME 3, but it's still so far away. I'd actually tried Kubuntu when KDE 4 was just released; I thought it had more features than GNOME, looked prettier, but was totally unstable. But still, I prefer KDE in general, just not then. Now that it's in 4.4, want to try it in complete installation.

I've tried the Kubuntu Live but the experience is not the same as with full installation. And I don't like VirtualBox for the same reason. Also, I don't like disk partitions.

Back to my question: Should I install "kubuntu-desktop" on my Ubuntu to try out KDE 4.4? Should I install reinstall Kubuntu, completely wiping out my machine? Or is it not worth trying, thus I should wait for Ubuntu 10.10?

dyous87
March 5th, 2010, 04:32 AM
From my experience KDE has always seemed more bloated then gnome. If you wana go for it however it may suite you better. Installing the Kubuntu-Desktop will give you all the features of jsut installing Kubuntu from scratch except you'll be able to go back and forth between gnome and kde.

David

kelvin.illa
March 6th, 2010, 01:18 PM
From my experience KDE has always seemed more bloated then gnome. If you wana go for it however it may suite you better. Installing the Kubuntu-Desktop will give you all the features of jsut installing Kubuntu from scratch except you'll be able to go back and forth between gnome and kde.

David

Do you think that it would affect the OS's performance? I mean, for example, would the start-up application of GNOME and KDE run simultaneously on either desktop environment?

Last question, would "kubuntu-desktop" change my default Ubuntu boot screen, the glow-y Ubuntu? I want to keep it; Kubuntu's boot screen is ugly.

Thanks, Dave.

wojox
March 6th, 2010, 01:21 PM
You can follow this how to: http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-Install-KDE-SC-4-4-on-Ubuntu-9-10-134546.shtml

As far as performance no. Not with the naked eye.

MelDJ
March 6th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Do you think that it would affect the OS's performance? I mean, for example, would the start-up application of GNOME and KDE run simultaneously on either desktop environment?

Last question, would "kubuntu-desktop" change my default Ubuntu boot screen, the glow-y Ubuntu? I want to keep it; Kubuntu's boot screen is ugly.

Thanks, Dave.

no. kde's startup programs only run when kde is launched.
you can change the boot splash with startup manager

sprince09
March 6th, 2010, 05:23 PM
I had serious stability issues with KDE in both 8.10 and 9.04, but 9.10 seems very solid. I think I've only had 1 KDE application crash on me since I upgraded both my laptops and my computer at work about a month ago. This is with KWin's compositing enabled too :)

kelvin.illa
March 7th, 2010, 01:39 AM
Thanks, guys. I'm really in between; I think I'll be installing "kubuntu-desktop."

kelvin.illa
March 7th, 2010, 03:45 AM
OK, the setup sucked. GNOME Do did fire-up in KDE (though I hoped it wouldn't because it's not natively) but the 'results window' overlapped the GNOME Do window. The OS was a bit confused about what settings should be default: my mouse-pointer was KDE on GNOME, and could only be changed within KDE; my file browser in KDE was Nautilus -- it looked ugly -- but Dolphin was there. I made up my mind when I saw Nautilus in KDE.

I had to manually pick-out the what-I-think-were-exclusively-KDE packages in Synaptic. Then, I fired-up Computer Janitor, used it... now, everything is back to normal.

I guess I should just save the Kubuntu installation to another computer.