PDA

View Full Version : Just noticed something interesting.

sandyd
March 5th, 2010, 01:47 AM
I used to run apps with higher privelages with "sudo", which as you know isnt good for running graphical apps. I didnt really encounter any problems while doing that, so I didnt really bother to change what I was typing.

today, I encrypted my home folder, and to my suprise, afterwords, GUI programs would not work with sudo, and only gksudo.

looks like im going to be forced to use "gksudo" instead of "sudo" now :D
it just says

no protocol specified
cannot open display :)
LOL

wojox
March 5th, 2010, 01:50 AM
That's ironic. There was just a big discussion in one of the threads on why you needed to run gksudo instead of sudo yesterday or the day before. The OP just didn't understand.

PC_load_letter
March 5th, 2010, 02:19 AM
@Carlee:
Just out of curiosity, why would you want to encrypt your Home folder? I've heard about encrypting the whole drive, that I get, but what can you gain from encrypting the Home folder other than things will slow down as files get decrypted before they are processed..

sandyd
March 5th, 2010, 02:25 AM
@Carlee:
Just out of curiosity, why would you want to encrypt your Home folder? I've heard about encrypting the whole drive, that I get, but what can you gain from encrypting the Home folder other than things will slow down as files get decrypted before they are processed..
protects sensitive information. I work as part of IT support and i got my backup service records, logs .etc.etc on there.
and no, it actually doesnt cause a slowdown.
or not that Ive noticed at least.
probably because its a quad-core laptop.

PC_load_letter
March 5th, 2010, 02:42 AM
...because its a quad-core laptop.

:D Here you go. Thanks for the explanation.

MooPi
March 5th, 2010, 03:06 AM
I generally just encrypt specific folders and not the entire home folder. Nothing to fancy just enough to hinder someone if my computer is ever stolen or god forbid hacked.