PDA

View Full Version : Am I reading this right? Vista's end of life to come BEFORE XP's?

blur xc
March 5th, 2010, 12:16 AM
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/26/microsoft_vista_xp_2000/

Either way- this stinks for my 4 dual boot machines at home. Good thing they are mostly used in Ubuntu- but still.

BM

lisati
March 5th, 2010, 12:21 AM
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/26/microsoft_vista_xp_2000/

Either way- this stinks for my 4 dual boot machines at home. Good thing they are mostly used in Ubuntu- but still.

BM
Stinks for my laptop too.

My desktop has an XP install, but for the most part that's largely academic since I usually have Ubuntu 9.04 server running on it to host my website and email.

(I only keep XP around because the software that came with my phone won't install on Vista with all the updates installed, and I haven't bothered figuring out accessing the phone's media storage through Ubuntu yet; mobile broadband was fairly easy to get working with Ubuntu once I found some settings that work)

Post Monkeh
March 5th, 2010, 12:25 AM
i think it's only for systems that won't install a service pack.

i find it funny thought that they're gonna stop support for xp when they're still essentially pushing it as the only option for netbooks

edit: ah, there's still service pack 3, that's ok then.

The Toxic Mite
March 5th, 2010, 12:27 AM
Damn. I have WinXP on my craptop old laptop. TinyXP to be precise.

blur xc
March 5th, 2010, 12:27 AM

I think you are right. I've been reading through the comments and the general consensus is that there will still be support if you have up to date service packs.

BM

Fenris_rising
March 5th, 2010, 12:31 AM
Where's my hammer =D Yep it stinks. Xp was extended purely to muscle in on the netbook market, Vista screwed end user and peripheral makers and now MS are going to shaft everyone again.

Everything comes to an end of course but how it's done really says a lot for Redmond's respect of their users and their wallets.

Upgrade to W7 AKA open your wallet and say help yourself.

regards

Fenris

katie-xx
March 5th, 2010, 12:52 AM
XP actually works rather well for businesses and its difficult to imagine exactly how Microsoft will be able to toally abandon support for their contracted customer base.
As for vista. Well its a much better Operating System than its critics would have you believe although, the company I work for, have found it a pig to configure for our purposes.
We much prefer XP.
The news regarding WinServer 2003 is probably more of an issue than the client operating systems.
There is an awful lot of kit out there running on WinServer 2003 and I would guess it wont be cheap to upgrade and it doesnt look as if it will be cheap to move to extended support either.
Very interesting situation because, here in the UK anyhow, its invariably much more cost effective for a medium or large sized business to procure everything from Microsoft than it is to go for an open Source solution.
Maybe this will tip the balance ... I dont know.

Techsnap
March 5th, 2010, 01:05 AM
Second Paragraph, first line:

The company said yesterday that a Vista service pack-free OS

You're reading it wrong.

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/search/default.aspx?sort=PN&alpha=Windows+Vista&Filter=FilterNO

Extended support for Vista clearly says it ends in 2017. Though that does look like it's only for business customers.

gletob
March 5th, 2010, 01:09 AM

i find it funny thought that they're gonna stop support for xp when they're still essentially pushing it as the only option for netbooks

Microsoft is starting to push OEM's towards Windows 7 Starter edition for net books. Although is netbooks keep progressing towards faster CPUs and GPUs, they're aproaching the point where they could run Windows 7 Home Premium very easily.

katie-xx
March 5th, 2010, 01:11 AM
Second Paragraph, first line:
You're reading it wrong.
http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/search/default.aspx?sort=PN&alpha=Windows+Vista&Filter=FilterNO
Extended support for Vista clearly says it ends in 2017. Though that does look like it's only for business customers.

Yes I knew that and I read it the same way you did. :)

Kate

Shpongle
March 5th, 2010, 01:17 AM
Microsoft is starting to push OEM's towards Windows 7 Starter edition for net books. Although is netbooks keep progressing towards faster CPUs and GPUs, they're aproaching the point where they could run Windows 7 Home Premium very easily.

well this also means that linux will run even better on those new machines , due to it's memory & resource management , assuming we have the drivers etc, although at the rate its going im sure we will.

Post Monkeh
March 5th, 2010, 01:20 AM
well this also means that linux will run even better on those new machines , due to it's memory & resource management , assuming we have the drivers etc, although at the rate its going im sure we will.

if they can run windows 7 then most of them will have windows 7

jayze
March 5th, 2010, 01:25 AM
It doesnt suprise anyone that Vista is getting the boot. I HATED it!...Interesting that Microsoft have just started to admit to security flaws in some XP's...Does anyone think they might want us all to chip in 100 quid for Mr Gates pocket change so we all end up on 7?

murderslastcrow
March 5th, 2010, 01:53 AM

Actually, I know 4 people who got computers on or around Christmas, with brand new hardware, and it all worked out of the box (given some of them requires closed-source graphics card or wifi drivers, but that's hardly a big deal compared to what you have to do if you install Windows 7 from scratch).

It's obvious that Microsoft wants to put Vista behind them, so they're forcing users to move on or feel guilty and socially awkward if they don't move on. I'm kinda' surprised they didn't end Vista support the day Windows 7 came out! XD

jayze
March 5th, 2010, 01:57 AM
I always look at it this way....a certain microsoft top dog didnt get to be the richest person around without thinking about how to squeeze the very last penny out of each and every PC user...if Microsoft can charge you 59 dollars for a support email then they can steal their grannies purse and nothing they do suprises me in terms of commercial enterprise and marketing ploys however underhand....:popcorn:....just remember folks...todays peacock is tomorrows feather duster!

Ozor Mox
March 5th, 2010, 02:08 AM
Damn. I have WinXP on my craptop old laptop. TinyXP to be precise.

Haha, good to see I'm not the only one who refers to a particularly prehistoric laptop as a "craptop" :D

gletob
March 5th, 2010, 02:32 AM

Why of course with good driver support.

Regenweald
March 5th, 2010, 02:38 AM
I won't mind if they wrap things up with an SP3 for vista. Squeeze a lil more performance out.

lisati
March 5th, 2010, 02:59 AM
Eeek SP3! My main desktop needed a patch otherwise XP SP3 wouldn't play nice; I discovered this about the same time that I'd botched an install of Ubuntu, so major running round like a headless chook wondering what Ubuntu had done..... :(

XP actually works rather well for businesses and its difficult to imagine exactly how Microsoft will be able to toally abandon support for their contracted customer base.
As for vista. Well its a much better Operating System than its critics would have you believe although, the company I work for, have found it a pig to configure for our purposes.
We much prefer XP.

Although the copy of Vista that came with my laptop has some nice features (e.g. a DVD authouring tool that works with Windows Movie Maker) I find some aspects of XP easier to find my way around.