PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft doing OSS and Linux a favour

Kai69
March 4th, 2010, 11:10 PM
Im not Microsoft bashing
Ive been thinking over the last few days about Microsoft in various news articles bashing OSS and Linux or any other company not using Microsoft products.
If people who use MS products and read these articles with all the negative press for OSS do you think these people would try and find out about OSS and Linux?
And if they look into OSS do you think they may start using OSS instead of buying MS products
I think Microsoft are doing us all a favour, people are not stupid im sure they would try to find out what all the fuss is about and maybe even try a Linux distro..

sydbat
March 4th, 2010, 11:12 PM
Only about .98% of them...

Kai69
March 4th, 2010, 11:25 PM
Only about .98% of them...

I dont know about that because youve got to look at what governments in other countries are starting to do, looking into using OSS or even switching altogether. Maybe this is why Microsoft is getting negative about OSS and Linux.

JackRock
March 4th, 2010, 11:29 PM
The problem is that MOST of humanity read the first thing that comes across their desk on a particular subject, and thereafter, that is the end-all-be-all of the topic. So if Microsoft's words get to these people first (and it most likely will), most people are going to simply say "Well, Microsoft said this about Linux", and will refuse to listen to another point of view.

Sad but true. I deal with these people all the time. I've even had customers of mine tell ME what MY COMPANY can/will do, when they heard it from a person who wasn't even a customer of mine, much less an employee.

Shpongle
March 4th, 2010, 11:45 PM
The problem is that MOST of humanity read the first thing that comes across their desk on a particular subject, and thereafter, that is the end-all-be-all of the topic. So if Microsoft's words get to these people first (and it most likely will), most people are going to simply say "Well, Microsoft said this about Linux", and will refuse to listen to another point of view.

Sad but true. I deal with these people all the time. I've even had customers of mine tell ME what MY COMPANY can/will do, when they heard it from a person who wasn't even a customer of mine, much less an employee.

same, I like to call these people sheeple!

Post Monkeh
March 4th, 2010, 11:48 PM
same, I like to call these people sheeple!

since this is all opensource hippy crap, i'm gonna use that and there's nothin' you can do to stop me :D

Kai69
March 4th, 2010, 11:59 PM

I can understand that but surely if Microsoft keep being negative about OSS /Linux people would start to think why, Also with countries choosing OSS and telling the population about it people would take an interest..

swoll1980
March 5th, 2010, 12:05 AM
Any publicity, is good publicity, they say.

Hwæt
March 5th, 2010, 12:10 AM
Streisand Effect

JackRock
March 5th, 2010, 12:28 AM
I can understand that but surely if Microsoft keep being negative about OSS /Linux people would start to think why, Also with countries choosing OSS and telling the population about it people would take an interest..

To quote a good movie:

A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.

The problem is that the rare person who tries to find multiple sources, find they "whys" and the "hows" and the "whats" is exactly that....rare. Many of th em are right here on this forum, because they did their research and found Linux to be a better fit for MOST circumstances. But many of those same people are also Microsoft knowledgeable because they know that MS still has something to offer this world. Simple truth, like it or not.

And yes, MS can bash OSS, and some people will go "why do they think that?", and wonder if it's some large-corporation induction of mass hysteria, and they'd be pretty much right. But MS isn't stupid. They know that if they make a statement with uneducated points and lies, that MOST people will believe them, and therefore those sheeple (MS calls them customers) will avoid looking at alternative Operating Systems.

For the few that are "in between", they'll go to Apple and buy Macs instead of OSS. Why? Because it's "Professionally created". Somewhere, somehow, along the way, somebody decided that because you get paid for it, you can't make any mistakes. Odd, I know.

Similar experience with the same company - People would tell us that the product was "professionally installed", so it CANNOT POSSIBLY be a problem with the installation (we don't do the install, just the manufacture). My response to those morons is "Well, they were 'professionally manufactured'".

Kai69
March 5th, 2010, 01:02 AM
To quote a good movie:

The problem is that the rare person who tries to find multiple sources, find they "whys" and the "hows" and the "whats" is exactly that....rare. Many of th em are right here on this forum, because they did their research and found Linux to be a better fit for MOST circumstances. But many of those same people are also Microsoft knowledgeable because they know that MS still has something to offer this world. Simple truth, like it or not.

And yes, MS can bash OSS, and some people will go "why do they think that?", and wonder if it's some large-corporation induction of mass hysteria, and they'd be pretty much right. But MS isn't stupid. They know that if they make a statement with uneducated points and lies, that MOST people will believe them, and therefore those sheeple (MS calls them customers) will avoid looking at alternative Operating Systems.

For the few that are "in between", they'll go to Apple and buy Macs instead of OSS. Why? Because it's "Professionally created". Somewhere, somehow, along the way, somebody decided that because you get paid for it, you can't make any mistakes. Odd, I know.

Similar experience with the same company - People would tell us that the product was "professionally installed", so it CANNOT POSSIBLY be a problem with the installation (we don't do the install, just the manufacture). My response to those morons is "Well, they were 'professionally manufactured'".

I must admit I didnt know anything about OSS or Linux I had heard of Linux but didnt know what it was. Then last year after a Vista sp2 update It broke my internet, I called my internet supplier and had a go at them then called Microsoft and told them the problem they told me to get on the net and get a patch that had been released ??? When I told my stepson about the problem he said the only way to sort it is a full reinstall. Then for my birthday my dad brought me a lappy running XP but within 4 months the lappy got slower and slower I tried everything to sort it out in the end I Googled Free OS I didnt even know there was such a thing but I found Linux and Ubuntu so installed.
Yes its been a bumpy ride but with the help of the people of this forum and and a lot of reading up of Linux and OSS ive started to understand more about where OSS is going and who it helps.
And now with the way MS is being so negative about alternatives and the Vista users that have become disenchanted with MS, surely some of them would have moved to OSS ? I for one cannot afford the cost of W7 with 4 kids and the resseson ( ok I have a pirate copy but cant be bothered with it ) and surely other people are in the same boat..

mikewhatever
March 5th, 2010, 01:34 AM
So far, MS has been very successful in getting it's way with both vendors and customers, and if Vista and W7 is anything to judge by, that hasn't changed. And don't even get me started on MS's draconian licensing policies and insecure designs. I guess that means I disagree, besides, we don't need favors from MS.

Shpongle
March 5th, 2010, 01:36 AM
its gotten to the stage where i dont watch tv , listen to the crap on the radio , read most newspapers etc coz its all crap. you cant do anything without someone trying to sell you something . its like "you need to buy this daisy for your car, jim used to be unemployed but since he bought a daisy for his car he lives a happy life and owns his own business" - i know this makes no sense but they might as well be saying something stupid like that. like who cares!! , and dont even get me started on the music (lady gaga etc what a load of crap). mainstream media these days is designed for idiots , i mean xfactor <insert country here>'s got talent.

its robbing people of knowledge and creativity. go out meet people learn an instrument etc . i see MS as the same , they dumb down the user!, im more annoyed by the fact they sell a defective product to begin with! and they have legions of sheeple / cash cows who defend them to the death without even realizing , oh well

strange times were living in. I see a lot of intelligent people who see the world for what it is on here. its a good forum to be apart of

peace

Kai69
March 5th, 2010, 01:53 AM
its gotten to the stage where i dont watch tv , listen to the crap on the radio , read most newspapers etc coz its all crap. you cant do anything without someone trying to sell you something . its like "you need to buy this daisy for your car, jim used to be unemployed but since he bought a daisy for his car he lives a happy life and owns his own business" - i know this makes no sense but they might as well be saying something stupid like that. like who cares!! , and dont even get me started on the music (lady gaga etc what a load of crap). mainstream media these days is designed for idiots , i mean xfactor <insert country here>'s got talent.

its robbing people of knowledge and creativity. go out meet people learn an instrument etc . i see MS as the same , they dumb down the user!, im more annoyed by the fact they sell a defective product to begin with! and they have legions of sheeple / cash cows who defend them to the death without even realizing , oh well

strange times were living in. I see a lot of intelligent people who see the world for what it is on here. its a good forum to be apart of

peace

+++1 I see the same... BTW you should have said xfactor <insert country here>'s got NO talent.never have never will :P

murderslastcrow
March 5th, 2010, 02:06 AM
As a social movement, open source adoption would be very good for the economy, for the advancement of technology, and for the enlightenment of mankind, really. If everyone in the world had free access to technology and code, just imagine what we could create? If Linux only has the developers and users it does now, and it's THIS AWESOME, just think about how cool it could get if people collaborate on the good projects en masse?

mikewhatever
March 5th, 2010, 02:12 AM
As a social movement, open source adoption would be very good for the economy, for the advancement of technology, and for the enlightenment of mankind, really. If everyone in the world had free access to technology and code, just imagine what we could create? If Linux only has the developers and users it does now, and it's THIS AWESOME, just think about how cool it could get if people collaborate on the good projects en masse?

I think you are assuming that quantity equals quality, which isn't the case in most cases, in fact, quite the opposite is true.

Hwæt
March 5th, 2010, 02:32 AM
I think you are assuming that quantity equals quality, which isn't the case in most cases, in fact, quite the opposite is true.

"With enough eyes, all bugs are shallow" - Linus Torvalds

gsmanners
March 5th, 2010, 02:37 AM
Microsoft and others who rely on IP for profit are this generation's buggy whip makers, type writer repairmen, candlestick manufacturers, etc. They are hopelessly behind the times and doing everything humanly possible to feed the sickness known to the sane part of the world as raving neophobia.

In short, they are to be pitied and ultimately forgotten.