PDA

View Full Version : Best way to boost wifi signal?

Xbehave
March 4th, 2010, 09:09 PM
I have an old (but working fine with kubuntu laptop), unfortunatly the wireless signal (transmitter) is very week. What is the best way for me to boost this on the cheap? (i.e not buying a new laptop)

0)Overclock the chipset/fix the settings. (only thought of this while writing this post but it's an ath5k (can get model, etc), is it possible that some firmware setting is wrong and can be fixed.
pro:free

1) build a new antenna (my current antenna is not broken as it recivies fine and i tested with a spare screen).
pro:geeky
pro:cheap
con:have to carry it around
Q: can it boost my signal much?

2) Buy a new internal chip (I have a spare intel around but it makes my kernel hang when i load it)
Pro: nothing new to carry round
Q: can it boost my signal enough as it has the same pci limitations as my existing chipset?

3) Buy a new dongle.
Pro:can inject packets with the dongle while snooping with the other)
con:Compatibility problems
Q:The dongle is tiny how can it have a better signal than a monitor sized antenna

juancarlospaco
March 4th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Get a 1.000 mWatt WIFI Amplifier.

audiomick
March 4th, 2010, 10:23 PM
Your best bet would be an antenna. That is generally the weak link in any wireless setup. It is also possible that your dongle, if it has been knocked around a lot, may have gone of tune a bit. I don't know if you can do anything about that, and even if it is possible, it is a job for experts.
Do a bit of searching for instructions on how to build an antenna. There must be thousands around, as it is not that hard.

Cuddles McKitten
March 4th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Make a "horn" out of tinfoil. Put it on the antenna of the router and/or the receiving antenna. That solved my problems caused by having my router next to my microwave.

Easy Limits
March 5th, 2010, 01:21 AM
You could also buy a range expander that matches your wireless router.

Xbehave
March 6th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Your best bet would be an antenna. That is generally the weak link in any wireless setup. It is also possible that your dongle, if it has been knocked around a lot, may have gone of tune a bit.
It has definitely been knocked about a lot, i will look into this thanks.

You could also buy a range expander that matches your wireless router.

Make a "horn" out of tinfoil. Put it on the antenna of the router and/or the receiving antenna. That solved my problems caused by having my router next to my microwave.
thanks for the suggestion, but this comes into play much more when i don't have control of the wireless hardware, but i ill probably try the "horn", thanks.