PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone think that Ubuntu's graphic overhaul looks half done?

TheLastDodo
March 4th, 2010, 09:03 PM
If I were to get Nautilus to look good, I'd switch the color scheme and perhaps put together something a bit more professional looking like this pic below, which is a mockup of a work in progress by the designer behind the Elementary iconset, theme and Nautilus revamp.

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/052/f/5/elementary_Nautilus_by_DanRabbit.png

samalex
March 4th, 2010, 09:17 PM
If I were to get Nautilus to look good, I'd switch the color scheme and perhaps put together something a bit more professional looking like this pic below, which is a mockup of a work in progress by the designer behind the Elementary iconset, theme and Nautilus revamp.

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/052/f/5/elementary_Nautilus_by_DanRabbit.png

Hmm, the image you linked to looks just like OSX.

Sam

Excedio
March 4th, 2010, 09:20 PM

I like that mock up. Looks very nice. However, I don't dislike the current Nautilus look.

Queue29
March 4th, 2010, 09:46 PM
Ubuntu's graphics have never not looked half-done.

Regenweald
March 4th, 2010, 10:36 PM
I like that mockup, but also really like the new default theme.

adeypoop
March 5th, 2010, 12:25 AM
I agree that the graphics overhaul looks like it needs a little more work, perhaps the icons in nautilus could have a new look too... they still match the default orangy brown colour rather than the new 'light' theme.

However I'm not sure about that mock up you posted a link to, I agree with one of the other responses, its too much like OSX.

pastalavista
March 5th, 2010, 12:40 AM
"Good" looks are very subjective. I think the mock-up looks a lot like the 'Unity' theme.. but a little "half done"

swoll1980
March 5th, 2010, 01:01 AM
To me the new theme looks like Open Solaris, not that that's a bad thing.

mikewhatever
March 5th, 2010, 01:39 AM
I like the new look. However, this thread once again proves that you can't please everyone, so there is no point trying.

Meep3D
March 5th, 2010, 03:31 AM
I like the new look. However, this thread once again proves that you can't please everyone, so there is no point trying.

Can I just point out that the 'Linux isn't Windows' article was almost 100% made with Microsoft Word? See such snippets as:

<span style=""></span></h3>
<p class="MsoNormal"><span style="">

All over the HTML, which sort of undermines the whole thing. Plus the whole thing to me seems to go fundamentally against the Ubuntu philosophy - see 'Subproblem #5b'. Anyway ...

I agree with the OP, there has been some serious changes made in this new design with very little thought to the ramifications, plus it lacks the polish and efficient use of space that is expected in a modern OS.

To be perfectly honest I don't really see that it improves on anything and simply seems to be different for the sake of it. Change that leads to an improvement is good, but I just don't see it here.

Technoviking
March 5th, 2010, 03:55 AM
No, and there is still almost two months till the release of Ubuntu 10.04.

T-V

mikewhatever
March 5th, 2010, 04:40 AM
Can I just point out that the 'Linux isn't Windows' article was almost 100% made with Microsoft Word? See such snippets as:

<span style=""></span></h3>
<p class="MsoNormal"><span style="">

All over the HTML, which sort of undermines the whole thing. Plus the whole thing to me seems to go fundamentally against the Ubuntu philosophy - see 'Subproblem #5b'.

Well, the article doesn't deal with Ubuntu specifically, but rather with Linux based distros as a whole, regardless, Ubuntu offers a very flexible user experience, starting from the point and click DEs all the way to custom and CLI installations. In other words, it doesn't force an experienced user to have training wheels and doesn't deny them to a novice.

As for MS office, I don't quite see your point.

Meep3D
March 5th, 2010, 04:53 AM
Well, the article doesn't deal with Ubuntu specifically, but rather with Linux based distros as a whole, regardless, Ubuntu offers a very flexible user experience, starting from the point and click DEs all the way to custom and CLI installations. In other words, it doesn't force an experienced user to have training wheels and doesn't deny them to a novice.

As for MS office, I don't quite see your point.
The main problem with what he says is that FOSS is an ideology at best, a software license at worst. Is he the owner of Linux? Does he somehow have copyright over large chunks? Did he write most of it? Any of it? If not he has absolutely no right to say what it is or isn't. If I had millions in the bank I'd consider shaping a Linux distro to my image - and it would go fundamentally against what he is claiming. Does that mean what I would create wouldn't be Linux?

Plus the MS Office is relevant - he's using the exact same training wheels he claims should be removed. If he followed what he said he would have coded the HTML in vi, which is far easier and faster (if you know it) than doing it in Word. Yet he did it in Word as his aim was writing an article, not learning HTML. Computers are appliances, not learning experiences.

I just find so many people blindly promoting an article that claims CLI vi is as easy as Word (yet doing web page authoring in Word) mind boggling. Especially since his closing remarks are fundamentally at odds with the whole point of Ubuntu.

Jesus_Valdez
March 5th, 2010, 05:15 AM
i think that everybody is overreacting on the subject of the "new" looks.

As far as I know, is just a "mock up" that shows the new colors to be utilized, not the new GTK theme that will be ship with Lucid, let's just wait and see.

Either way, I do think that looks half done, probably because it is half done, let's wait its arrival on the updates and judge.

mikewhatever
March 5th, 2010, 05:50 AM
The main problem with what he says is that FOSS is an ideology at best, a software license at worst. Is he the owner of Linux? Does he somehow have copyright over large chunks? Did he write most of it? Any of it? If not he has absolutely no right to say what it is or isn't. If I had millions in the bank I'd consider shaping a Linux distro to my image - and it would go fundamentally against what he is claiming. Does that mean what I would create wouldn't be Linux?

Personally. I take the article as an opinion, which the author had every right to express, just like you can yours and I mine. Why do you think he needs to own Linux to express his opinion?

As for MS office, I don't see the problem once again. Isn't it a bit like Ubuntu advocating for free software, but providing easy access to proprietary drivers and codecs to those who want them?
Perhaps it should be noted that I don't know the author personally, nor can advance the reason as to why the article was written with the software you claim it had been. That said, I can pretty much agree with every argument discussed, be it written in MSoffice or vi.

pelle.k
March 5th, 2010, 08:28 AM
Does anyone think that Ubuntu's graphic overhaul looks half done?
Although i indeed think the new theme does look half done, much of the blame should be put on the application developers. The sad truth is that hardcore developers often lack a sense of style and elegance. They see beauty in code instead.
A company like apple have actual designers doing the UI layout and graphics part of an application, while i doubt that is as true with open source developers (lone wolve developers).

Nautilus, IMHO, is a prime example of a very nice application with a less than ideal UI. I'm not saying it's butt ugly, but it sure aint the pinnacle of good UI design either, I can easily name quite a few other UI inconsistencies and design mistakes in other core gnome applications as well.

graabein
March 5th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Hey guys, where can I find screenshots of this new Ubuntu look?

I also like OpenSolaris Nimbus. Used to have that on Gnome but now days I'm mostly on xmonad. Still have the Gtk Nimbus look for controls though.

Update: Once again I got too excited to search myself before asking for a link. Thanks, rajeev1204.

Ubuntu Rebranding Revealed (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1420839)

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Brand

rajeev1204
March 5th, 2010, 09:58 AM
LIke technoviking said, Its not finished yet, and 10.04 will release in April.Those who are using lynx alpha are aware of this fact.

Read the sticky in the cafe which should give you details about the themes and icon sets which are still being worked on.

Keyper7
March 5th, 2010, 11:04 AM
I completely agree with the OP. If this was an alpha release with months left to tweak it would be acceptable.

But since Lucid is already officially released and nothing can change anymore...

...oh. Wait.

Nevon
March 5th, 2010, 02:19 PM
To everyone saying: "Oh but there's two more months until release. They have plenty of time to fix this." Sure, for the branding and whatnot, they have time. But the UI freeze was yesterday, so doesn't that mean that the themes we have seen are the themes that will be in Lucid?

Regenweald
March 5th, 2010, 02:22 PM
I completely agree with the OP. If this was an alpha release with months left to tweak it would be acceptable.

But since Lucid is already officially released and nothing can change anymore...

...oh. Wait.

LOL. Nice mix of irony and sarcasm there. I give it a 9.5

Keyper7
March 5th, 2010, 02:33 PM
To everyone saying: "Oh but there's two more months until release. They have plenty of time to fix this." Sure, for the branding and whatnot, they have time. But the UI freeze was yesterday, so doesn't that mean that the themes we have seen are the themes that will be in Lucid?

The main point of the user interface freeze is not obsoleting documentation screenshots and translations to the point of them being unhelpful. Small tweaks to button positions, a thicker border here, a different gradient there wouldn't cause such problems.

It's true that a massive overhaul cannot happen anymore at this point, but I haven't seen enough negative comments to justify that.

pelle.k
March 5th, 2010, 08:48 PM
It's true that a massive overhaul cannot happen anymore at this point, but I haven't seen enough negative comments to justify that.

Yes, from another thread i read that;

Mark Shuttleworth: We have room and time to tweak, the only thing that’s final is the basic set of concepts.

I, for one, hope they can get the fuzzy look, and yellowish tint gone from the "light" theme. But i can always switch to clearlooks i guess.

Anyone else thinks the button part in the metacity looks wierd? The red button stands out like a sore thumb (almost literally!), and it looks "glossy", while the other buttons look "matte".
Also, the "sink" effect around the buttons just look like a gradient to me. It fails to bring the illusion of a "bevelled" or "sunken" area (for me at least).

samalex
March 5th, 2010, 11:46 PM
Honestly I equate this to when Red Hat rolled out Bluecurve with RH 8.0 back in 2002. It made all the Linux headlines (http://www.crn.com/software/18821719) of the day, but for the most part it was aesthetics.

Speaking of Bluecurve, I personally loved it, even though I'd been using RH for years, and I can't help but think this new 'Light' theme Canonical is talking about with Ubuntu 10.04 is about the same type of thing. It's a new coat of paint, which is always nice to see, but as long as they bring half the ideas they've talked about to fruition in 10.04 I'll be happy.

Besides I generally gut the stock theme for my own anyway :)

Sam