PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Is there any way of making ubuntu compatible with winodws without using software?

Strata1
March 4th, 2010, 08:33 PM
I'm really sick of wine crashing and running very slow is there any way i can run any program on ubuntu 9.10 without use of sofware such as wine? If there isnt then thats fine i was just wondering

Mark Phelps
March 4th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Your question is somewhat different from the thread title, but if your asking can you run MS Windows programs "inside Ubuntu" without the aid of third-party stuff such as Wine (and other variants), the answer is NO.

There are alternatives involving using VirtualBox to set up a virtual machine inside Ubuntu, installing MS Windows inside of that -- but I don't know if that meets your definition of "inside Ubuntu".

VB allows you to run virtually any MS Windows program, but you have to install the MS Windows OS, you will need a license to activate that, and you will suffer some degree of performance degradation. Plus, as far as I know, you can't run 3D accelerated games that way.

pastalavista
March 4th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Windows games can't run on Linux. If you want to play them, it's best to just use Windows (dual boot). Why don't you try some Linux Games (http://www.linuxgames.com/)? Personally, I'd rather play games on the Xbox, PS3 or Wii. Computers have too many distractions :)