PDA

View Full Version : Invisible?

jayze
March 4th, 2010, 08:16 PM
How far down the road does Virtual become Invisible...I keep leaving please help threads and not a single answer!...cant get into launchpad (its a long story)...fed up of network problems...why am I on a WINDOWS network periodically?

LowSky
March 4th, 2010, 08:40 PM
How far down the road does Virtual become Invisible...I keep leaving please help threads and not a single answer!...cant get into launchpad (its a long story)...fed up of network problems...why am I on a WINDOWS network periodically?

Sorry but I don't understand any of that.

Please asks your question again, but this time try to explain what your problem is exactly.

what I can answer is that the cafe isn't the correct part of the forum to ask about network issues.

jayze
March 4th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Ahhh. Thankyou LowSky!At least now I know I am not completely invisible on the Forums...Have asked the relevant questions on the correct forum (point taken)...no answers! (and no views either).Ah well...such is life!

orlox
March 4th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Perhaps a good start would be to provide links to the forum posts where you describe the problems you're affected by?

cariboo
March 5th, 2010, 12:28 AM
I've had a look both you threads, you really haven't explained you problem very well, so it is hard to give you an answer of any sort. From what I understand you have a modem, a router and two computers. What are you trying to do, local link really doesn't mean anything when it comes to trouble shooting.

jayze
March 5th, 2010, 12:45 AM
Right then.. Firstly sorry if I cant do computer speak. My first problem is that geographically I have a linked local network back to the nearest exchange...there is no otherway short of digging up five miles of cables or putting in skyservice for the internet. ...I have a laptop and I have a desktop. I am a simple girl and can only use one of them at a time. My situation is "standalone" with a router connecting the pc to the line but an unwanted network administrator and network service that like logging on to other peoples PCs(my isprovider say this is nothing to do with them and so we presume someone has latched onto the network)....my second problem is that my desktop system (microsoft) has security flaws(remote access) (microsoft have admitted to this)..short of a new PC there is little I can do there. I do not use wireless and disable it where possible.....I turned to Ubuntu in the hope of being a little more secure..and it worked for a while..now I find my network settings change as fast as I change my underwear...currently I am part of a "Windows" network...I just need advice really...pack in PCs?? (I'd like to try a Mac tho a younger freind says its no better than Ubuntu)..I'd appreciate any help and advice...ps thanks for replying

jayze
March 5th, 2010, 12:48 AM
ps ...sorry but I havent learnt to do a link to other threads yet!

Post Monkeh
March 5th, 2010, 12:56 AM
ps ...sorry but I havent learnt to do a link to other threads yet!

just copy the bit in the address bar (it'll start off as http://ubuntuforums.org then have a lot more random stuff after it) and the easiest thing to do is just paste it into your post.

jayze
March 5th, 2010, 01:02 AM
You are not going to believe this (and it is NOT a wind up) but I never learned to copy and paste! Am a completely self taught dilittante who has managed to learn along the bumpy way a zillion times more than the average pc user who doesnt seem to know what system they use or where the start button is....but like one of the other forum threads said "you know youre a geek when you have more fun installing the game than playing it"...I'll learn one day when Ive fixed other more pressing problems like keeping interlopers out (lol)

jayze
March 5th, 2010, 01:06 AM
Ps and YES please if anyone has any advice it will be appreciated....

jayze
March 5th, 2010, 01:12 AM
Oh and can anyone comment on these gismos that send broadband along the electric wires as some bright "spark" (excuse the pun) has blown up two braun oral B's...wiped out two mobile phones and continually blows my desktop lamp bulb...its getting to be an expensive game..

wojox
March 5th, 2010, 01:22 AM
You don't have to worry about posting your other links jayze. We can click your name and select "Find more post by jayze". I'll go look at them now.

cariboo
March 5th, 2010, 01:23 AM
Your question would be better asked and answered on one of you original threads. I'll start with this (http:///ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1421683) one.

jayze
March 5th, 2010, 01:31 AM
Thank you kind people.....I'd just like to remind you that the Ubuntu Forums saved my life this winter when snowwed up & the boiler broke down and the plumbers amongst you talked me through fixing it...if you can all help me get rid of my friendly neighbourhood hacker that would be merely a bit of icing on the still alive cake (though I cant guarantee to be civil when I finally get my hands on them lol )