PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use Konqueror?

jfbilodeau
March 4th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Greetings,

I've switched from Firefox to Konqueror a couple of month ago. I switched mostly out of curiousity. It works fine, but there's a lot of rendering and JavaScript issues on some sites (including Ubuntu Forums).

I'm curious to know how may Kubuntu users make use of Konqueror for their day-to-day browsing. If I'm one of the few using Konqueror, I can understand that most sites will not bother to test for it. On the other hand, I would expect that many KDE users would use it...

dazer26
July 8th, 2010, 06:18 PM
I honestly could never stand Konqueror, even years ago when it was also a file manager. Since I first used it 10 years ago or so (the dark times before Firefox and Chrome), it's been glitchy, had problems rendering pages, and it hasn't really seemed improved much; except for tabs that is. Though I hear Konqueror getting it's engine updated soon, so maybe it will be able to browse the web properly in the near future. One of the first things I uninstall from Kubuntu is Konqueror, which is too bad, because I often prefer to use KDE apps in KDE. Shortly after, I install both Chrome and Firefox lol. I like chrome the most, but mainly keep Firefox around for flash-block. Watching flash videos in Linux while there are a dozen complex flash adds on the same page tends to slow things down a bit :P

Honestly tho, I dunno why people are still working on that browser with so many great free open source alternatives. I know KDE likes to have their own app for everything, but I don't see Konq ever catching on. I would think that their time would be better spent making a great Chrome or Firefox skin or something. But then again their probably are a small minority that love it and often thats all you need to keep a project alive.

BrokenKingpin
July 8th, 2010, 08:13 PM
I try not to use any 'K' programs as they bloat up my Gnome system.

doorknob60
July 8th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Only occasionally. I use KDE right now, but I use Chromium. I need my browser to have an Omnibar/Chrome smartbar/whateveritscalled thing, and there's no way to make Konqueror have that. Same with Opera. Also I need some extensions that I can't use with Konqueror.

mister_playboy
July 15th, 2010, 01:38 AM
I went from Gnome to KDE with 10.04, and I decided to give Konqueror a try... what can I say? It seems every single page you visit has at least one rendering problem, and it just plain doesn't work for doing some activities, such as filling text forms.

I tried it and found it very lacking.

jerrylamos
July 15th, 2010, 01:48 AM
I have a lot of trouble with Flash on Konqueror that I don't have with Firefox.

Jerry

Grifulkin
July 15th, 2010, 03:01 AM
I use Konqueror on my Slackware64 install because I don't see the need to have both Konqueror and Firefox installed at the same time.

NightwishFan
July 15th, 2010, 03:31 AM
I used to use Konqueror all the time, I have since switched full time to gnome though. It was a pretty amazing app, a lot of kubuntu users might not have seen the full potential of it as a file manager. I should note that back in the day khtml was pretty fast as well, since the topic is "as web browser"

WinterMadness
July 15th, 2010, 04:37 AM
i dont really like it, so i use firefox

Ghil
July 15th, 2010, 04:40 AM
on the rare occasions I do use KDE, I never touch Konqueror. I really prefer some alternatives when possible, because I find it hard to work with, kind of sluggish and bloated. Dolphin is miles better, in my opinion. If they could phase out Konqueror completely and use Dolphin always for the file manager, it would be great.
And as an Internet browser...youch. There's worse for sure, but not that much. on the other end, the Khtml rendering engine is what gave birth to Webkit.

sertse
July 15th, 2010, 06:28 AM
Who says the linux community doesn;t have consensus?

The replies look all one way here :)

Khakilang
July 15th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Since Firefox is defaulted on my Ubuntu. I never look elsewhere except maybe Chrome browser.