PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] New Ubuntu Theme -- Love It Or Hate It

KiLaHuRtZ
March 4th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Personally, I love the "Human" theme and think Canonical is getting a little to "corporate" which worries me. Red Hat started out pretty good and then went down this path. I fear one day Ubuntu will start costing people money and follow that same path. To me the theme change is just the tip of the iceberg. With that said, what are the feelings/opinions of others in the community?

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Brand

golusweet
March 4th, 2010, 09:19 AM
I love it. though I didn't like themes much. panel icons are like OSx icons.

they should design a new icon set.:p

KiLaHuRtZ
March 4th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Yeah, I think it looks to "Macish" for my taste. Don't get me wrong, I love Mac's and own a few, but I really think Ubuntu needs to have a defined theme like it has been up until now. They also need to put the window icons back on the right side.

JamezQ
March 4th, 2010, 09:45 AM
Yeah, I think it looks to "Macish" for my taste. Don't get me wrong, I love Mac's and own a few, but I really think Ubuntu needs to have a defined theme like it has been up until now. They also need to put the window icons back on the right side.

That I agree with.

Roasted
March 4th, 2010, 08:24 PM
I dig it. But I'd like to try it out to get a better opinion. Can I get it for Karmic?

doas777
March 4th, 2010, 08:26 PM
like it better than the last, but I have the same problem with orange that I have with brown. not my colors.

Roasted
March 5th, 2010, 07:24 AM
Is this installable on Karmic, anybody? I'd like to check them out.

tom4jean
March 5th, 2010, 07:36 AM
From what it looks like on the release announcement, and judging from the release schedule for 10.04 it will not be available until the Lucid Lynx 10.04 beta 1 release on March 18th.

It is specifically the 10.04 LTC theme, and not for 9.10 Karmic.

See this link there are lots of pictures of it;

Frogs Hair
March 5th, 2010, 05:15 PM
I found the earth tones a bit much, only because it's winter. The Gnome art page allowed me to create my own look and I love the many options.

Roasted
March 5th, 2010, 08:00 PM
From what it looks like on the release announcement, and judging from the release schedule for 10.04 it will not be available until the Lucid Lynx 10.04 beta 1 release on March 18th.

It is specifically the 10.04 LTC theme, and not for 9.10 Karmic.

See this link there are lots of pictures of it;

Yeah I understand. I was just hoping it was a theme that may be public that I could toss on my Karmic install and check it out.

Man, even if it was for Lucid only, I'd install a VM of the Alpha to check it out...

KiLaHuRtZ
March 19th, 2010, 06:58 AM
Well, you can change all instances of "karmic" to "lucid" in '/etc/apt/sources.list', install it and then change "lucid" back to "karmic".

Make changes, then...

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-artwork

Revert changes, then...

sudo apt-get update

Just be sure you make a backup of your sources file first!

Roasted
March 19th, 2010, 05:12 PM
I got it installed and tried out Ambiance and Radiance.

Radiance - looks too pink to me, I don't know why. It just looks kind of fluffy and not something I want to stare at all day.

Ambiance - it needs to either be darker or the text lighter. They went a little too soft with the balance of easy to see/won't be too bright.

I'd like to retract my "it rocks" vote to a border line "it has potential" or "just plain sucks" vote.