PDA

View Full Version : Torin_93 the noob

Torin_93
March 4th, 2010, 08:01 AM
Hello everyone. I'm torin. Just wanted to make a quick intro thread.

First off I just wanted to say that I've become interested in ubuntu lately so I thought I would give it a try. I installed ubuntu via wubi on my baby (laptop) to dual boot with windows 7. While installing it froze. I shut Dow. Reinstalled and voilą I successfully installed ubuntu. The next morning I decided I didn't want ubuntu so I wanted to remove it. I couldn't get into windows and I didn't know what to do. After hours of stressing out I finally figured out what to do. So I fixed the Mbr on windows and deleted the ubuntu partitions where I was back to a normal computer again.

Sooo I decided I would install ubuntu on my desktop running windows xp. It went smoothly and now I want to do something cool with it. Like give it a cool theme or put that cube thing on it. Thanks for checking me out. Please let me know where I should start.

Torin

Khakilang
March 4th, 2010, 08:37 AM
Look like you already started.

sau99ms
March 4th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Hello everyone. I'm torin. Just wanted to make a quick intro thread.

First off I just wanted to say that I've become interested in ubuntu lately so I thought I would give it a try. I installed ubuntu via wubi on my baby (laptop) to dual boot with windows 7. While installing it froze. I shut Dow. Reinstalled and voilą I successfully installed ubuntu. The next morning I decided I didn't want ubuntu so I wanted to remove it. I couldn't get into windows and I didn't know what to do. After hours of stressing out I finally figured out what to do. So I fixed the Mbr on windows and deleted the ubuntu partitions where I was back to a normal computer again.

Sooo I decided I would install ubuntu on my desktop running windows xp. It went smoothly and now I want to do something cool with it. Like give it a cool theme or put that cube thing on it. Thanks for checking me out. Please let me know where I should start.

Torin

Hi Torin,

That cool cube you mention is enabled by using Compiz - there's a good 2 page walkthrough guide here:

http://www.howtoforge.com/compiz-fusion-ubuntu-8.04-nvidia-geforce-fx-5200

Although this is for hardy 8.04 this will work on Jaunty 9.04 and Karmic 9.10 as it did for me when I first got started with Ubuntu. You'll need a 3D graphics card - mine is a GTS250 and you'll most likely need to install the proprietary drivers unless ubuntu can recognise it automatically.

I also suggest you google Cairo-Dock or AWN - depends on your preference. Cairo Dock is really cool and very OSX esque.....

Gnome-look.org also has some very good themes/wallpaper ideas and there are even youtube videos that show you some cool themes and how to install them if you have the time or inclination.

Hope this helps but feel free to post back if you have any questions and I'll try and help if I get chance. Working now so can't type too long......lol!

Best wishes and welcome to Ubuntu!

Mark

Torin_93
March 4th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Thanks Mark that's alot of useful information. I will get back to you for sure if I have any problems thanks.

Firestem4
March 4th, 2010, 04:50 PM
I would like to mention if you have any questions there is a very helpful subforum called Absolute Beginners Thread. If you have any questions about anything and specifically you need help that would be the place to go. (You can find it on the main page of ubuntuforums.org)

Good luck and enjoy.

by the way to save you a lot of time and trouble, download and install "ubuntu-restricted-extras". This lets you run things such as flash, java, all kinds of audio/video codecs and other things that don't come in Ubuntu by default.

I don't use Ubuntu so I don't remember where the GUI repository program is to easily download it, but if you're interested in learning how to use the terminal the easiest way to do that is:

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

when you type this command it will ask you to enter in your password (using the command "sudo" invokes this). When you type your password you wont see any asterisks or characters show in the terminal, they're typed in blind.. Just type correctly ;)

sau99ms
March 4th, 2010, 10:34 PM
Thanks Mark that's alot of useful information. I will get back to you for sure if I have any problems thanks.

My pleasure - anytime!