PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] GNOME-Shell/Netbook Remix interface on CLI install

djmoore85
March 4th, 2010, 06:24 AM
I have been trying for a couple days to see if I can find a solution on the forums but it doesn't seem like anyone has asked this yet; I like doing a cli install, I don't like having a ton of software I'll never use and can break my install by deleting. So, I would like to know what packages I would have to obtain from a fresh install of a cli Ubuntu to get A) GNOME-Shell as a default interface or B) the UNR interface style. I do like both of these interfaces but want a base install. Thank yall for the help

fanum
March 9th, 2010, 09:26 AM
What have you tried so far? There is a PPA that will allow you to run gnome0shell, and may install enough of gnome 2 to run standalone, but I am not sure. Here is the PPA link:

http://www.webupd8.org/2009/10/install-docky-and-update-gnome-shell.html

djmoore85
March 22nd, 2010, 04:29 AM
I have tried to figure out which packages are necessary just to run one of these two interfaces. Reason I am attempting this is I hate getting all the pre-bundled software with a straight Ubuntu install. I like to build a base system, get wireless networking running and then build from there. I will be migrating from a Compaq V2555us laptop to a Toshiba NB205 netbook in a few weeks. I like the simple interface of the UNR, and Gnome-Shell seems it would work well on a small screen too. I gave plasma-netbook a shot as well, and would like to see a more stable setup. Anybody know which packages to obtain to just get one of these interfaces going on a minimal install?