PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Leaving the Jaunty Jackalope...?

KiDroboto
March 4th, 2010, 04:33 AM
I want to start off by stating that I LOVE Ubuntu. My friend gave me a Live CD of Jaunty and I haven't looked back since I started toying with it some weeks ago. My question is with Lucid Lynx coming up soon, is there any major features that I should upgrade for? I ask this because Jaunty runs pretty perfectly on my desktop and I'm not sure if I should upgrade. Is there anything that I'm missing out on from Karmic Koala that is reason enough that I should upgrade now?

Enigmapond
March 4th, 2010, 04:43 AM
IMHO...Don't. I upgraded to Karmic and it didn't go well at all. I was used to Jaunty running so very stable and then encountered a ton of problems when I upgraded. Now, I admit, had I just gone for a fresh install of 9.10 I might have avoided some of the misfortune but it was a nightmare. My theory now is, if it's not broken, don't fix it. I'm happily back to Jaunty running virtually problem free and will await the new LTS to upgrade with a fresh install. I love Jaunty and you're really not missing out on too much by staying with it and awaiting Lucid.

Good Luck whatever you decide...but I think by just reading some of the problems with Karmic, that alone should keep you here...:D

nitstorm
March 4th, 2010, 04:51 AM
If Jaunty is stable for you, there is no need to upgrade or so i think. For me, Jaunty was unstable and gave me a lot of issues but when i reluctantly switched to karmic, all my problems just disappeared and Karmic seems to be stable on my system. Hence I am sticking with Karmic for now. Super-eager to check out Lucid once it gets out :D

Oh and I also found Karmic had a faster boot-time (about 25 secs) on my machine than Jaunty, but I am not sure if Jaunty took some time to boot since it was unstable for me.. just wanted to let you know that :)

KiDroboto
March 4th, 2010, 04:57 AM
IMHO...Don't. I upgraded to Karmic and it didn't go well at all. I was used to Jaunty running so very stable and then encountered a ton of problems when I upgraded. Now, I admit, had I just gone for a fresh install of 9.10 I might have avoided some of the misfortune but it was a nightmare. My theory now is, if it's not broken, don't fix it. I'm happily back to Jaunty running virtually problem free and will await the new LTS to upgrade with a fresh install. I love Jaunty and you're really not missing out on too much by staying with it and awaiting Lucid.

Good Luck whatever you decide...but I think by just reading some of the problems with Karmic, that alone should keep you here...:D

I have had a STRONG gut feeling to just wait so I think I'll stick with Jaunty since it seems to be my best friend (OS-wise, I do have friends... like human ones :p). I've been experimenting with linux on my laptop and Karmic seems to work pretty well on it.

I installed KDE elements and XFCE so I can boot into a few desktop environments. I gotta say that I really prefer Gnome, very stable and easy to use. I have to say this, I'm a bit disappointed that the KDE plasma widgets just seem so buggy. I haven't ran into issues with the Gnome interface other than a *slightly* laggy trash bin icon.

Anywho, thanks for the assistance, encouragement, and guidance!

Enigmapond
March 4th, 2010, 05:06 AM
My Pleasure! Good Luck!!;)