PDA

View Full Version : Ripping a DVD to a computer illegal?

blur xc
March 4th, 2010, 02:04 AM
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2010/03/realdvd-copying-software-dies-in-45-million-settlement.html

What's that mean about handbrake? Is that illegal software as well? How is ripping a dvd any different than ripping a cd?

BM

hobo14
March 4th, 2010, 02:28 AM
Depends what country you live in.

If you're in the US, making a personal backup is ok, but on the other hand DCMA makes breaking the encryption needed to do this illegal! So there's a conflict there...

Of course, no-one is going to know or care if you break the encryption for a backup, as long as you don't start seeding torrents with it.

Sporkman
March 4th, 2010, 02:29 AM
Thou shalt not make unauthorized duplications

hobo14
March 4th, 2010, 02:39 AM
Thou shalt not make unauthorized duplications

That's not right. Backups of stuff you legally own is covered by fair use, you don't need authorization.
Breaking encryption is another story....

Sporkman
March 4th, 2010, 02:45 AM
That's not right. Backups of stuff you legally own is covered by fair use, you don't need authorization.

Maybe, but that's what's printed on my CDs (paraphrased of course :) ).

Jesus_Valdez
March 4th, 2010, 02:54 AM
I always assumed that the "bad" part was the sharing.

mamamia88
March 4th, 2010, 03:24 AM
I always assumed that the "bad" part was the sharing.

exactly. i'm not going to go buying multiple copies of a movie on all my devices. if i want to rip a movie and copy it to my ps3 i will. i don't think i'm doing anything wrong as long as i don't sell it or give it away

Sporkman
March 4th, 2010, 03:26 AM
How about streaming? Are you allowed to stream copyrighted content?

gsmanners
March 4th, 2010, 03:36 AM
The world of lawyers is a work of fiction. Any resemblance of their world to ours is purely coincidental and only meant to be taken seriously by politicians, fanatics, and other assorted raving lunatics.

Genius314
March 4th, 2010, 03:37 AM
The overpaid CEO's of these companies are just trying to squeeze more money out of people.
Already have the DVD, but want to watch the movie on your Portable Media Player? Too bad, you have to buy it again.

Anyway, they can't prevent everything. If you can see and/or hear media, there's a way to get a copy of it. The only way they can truly prevent piracy is to make DVD's completely useless... although it seems they're headed that way.

Lightstar
March 4th, 2010, 03:39 AM
Yep I'm with these guys, if you own the movie DVD, it's legal to make a backup copy, at least here it is (In Canada)
Sometimes it's encrypted and you can't, if you contact the movie company, they can send you a program to rip the DVD. Though get ready to fight for your rights, they often try to refuse that.

juancarlospaco
March 4th, 2010, 03:58 AM
Yep, theres a jail full of DVD drives.