PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along-Blog

Shibblet
March 4th, 2010, 02:04 AM
Has anyone seen this?

http://www.drhorrible.com/images/banners/big_square.gif (http://www.drhorrible.com)

If so, what did you think of it?

I found it to be absolutely incredible. I'm still humming the songs over a week later.

I'd love it if Joss could consistently keep coming out with a web-based show that could be of this quality. The problem with most web-content is it's mostly amateur stuff done with hand cameras and home videos.

freeball1
March 4th, 2010, 02:21 AM
Finally some good taste! :popcorn:
This were like the most entertaining hours in years, when i saw it the first time (along with the Making Of and Audio Commentary). I mean, who in this project isn't completely ingenious...
My favourite song would be My Eyes. I think I even heard rumors about a second part a while ago :D

Joss Whedon had me hooked since Firefly (damn you, FOX!)

solitaire
March 4th, 2010, 02:37 AM
"Commentary: the Musical" is a great to :D
Got the DVD :D loved it

Shibblet
March 4th, 2010, 02:44 AM
Joss Whedon had me hooked since Firefly (damn you, FOX!)

I read an article about his ventures in some magazine a while back. I think it was Rolling Stone. Anyway...

His first venture to TV was Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Buffy was the most successful show on UPN. They actually didn't have a better show at the time. And decided to cancel it after 5 years. Then WB picked it up for two more seasons. He was also gimping "Angel" along with WB at that time also.

Then came "Firefly". In my opinion, the best Sci-Fi show EVER made. And Sci-Fi Network decided to play it late at night, and out of sequential order. So it was doomed from the beginning. However, it had enough of a fanbase, and made enough DVD sales to warrant the production of a major motion picture. That never happens.

Finally he pitched his idea of Dollhouse to Fox. They loved it, and then began the meddling process. Making Joss change the way he envisioned the show to go. Now it's cancelled.

It seems to me that he is one of the best writers in the business, has some of the most creative ideas, and networks keep messing with him. Let this man be creative! Let him work his magic, and the money will come a-following. Look at his track record.

I loved the idea of Dr. Horrible. I watched it on iTunes the other day at a friends house, and ran out to buy the DVD immediately.

DeadSuperHero
March 4th, 2010, 02:56 AM
I discovered this a while ago, absolutely loved it.

Truly a brilliant piece of work, and it's one step closer to my hope of one day seeing an epic Superhero rock opera.

And Joss Whendon is an absolute genius. It's a shame Firefly never really took of...

Megrimn
March 4th, 2010, 03:22 AM
yep, my brother introduced me to it. pretty good stuff.

dyslexia
March 4th, 2010, 03:24 AM
Great Science-Fiction, but very politically un-correct (We are supposed to be for the *bad-guys* who rob trains and kill people, and lost the last war....)

...which might be the reason the show has trouble.

Never mind that the characters as directed by Joss are quite charming.

Ralph Hinkley
March 4th, 2010, 03:31 AM
My wife introduced me when the web event first took place and we had to wait (what was it a week???) between each of the 3 episodes. We LOVED it!!! I got the DVD on Netflicks after it came out, and still show EVERYONE I can corner the episodes on the website.

Fantastic! I fly my geek flag super high on this one!

Lightstar
March 4th, 2010, 03:35 AM
I don't know what it is.
So I went on the site.
I don't know what it is.

Ewingo401
March 4th, 2010, 03:48 AM
Anyone who has not seen this should drop whatever they're doing and see it now. It's going to cost you about 45 minutes of your life, but it's 45 minutes well spent.

Shibblet
March 5th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Anyone who has not seen this should drop whatever they're doing and see it now. It's going to cost you about 45 minutes of your life, but it's 45 minutes well spent.

Agreed. It's amazing how "cheesy" musicals tend to come across as, but when you watch them, they're very entertaining.

Tristam Green
March 5th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Dr. Horrible is my favorite recent superherovillain.

Read the one-shot comic by Dark Horse - it's just as good, and explains their origins.

Nathan Fillion, NPH, and Felicia Day are some of my favorite personalities too haha.

doas777
March 5th, 2010, 09:02 PM
I don't know what it is.
So I went on the site.
I don't know what it is.

a little 3ep 45 minute independent series that joss wheadon did with his brother and friends during the writters strike a few years back. one of the best things I've seen this year. you should be able to stream the eps off their site.

who'd have thunk that NPH could sing? Go Barney Howser, Go!

doas777
March 5th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Dr. Horrible is my favorite recent superherovillain.

Read the one-shot comic by Dark Horse - it's just as good, and explains their origins.

Nathan Fillion, NPH, and Felicia Day are some of my favorite personalities too haha.

I've heard that Felica Day did some other good web humor. any recomendations?

Tristam Green
March 5th, 2010, 09:04 PM
I've heard that Felica Day did some other good web humor. any recomendations?

"The Guild".

If you game World of Warcraft, know someone who does, or are even aware of its existence, watch it. It is hilarious comedy gold.

Shibblet
March 5th, 2010, 11:51 PM
You know, there has got to be a market for 10-15 minute weekly web-videos. Something episodic that could be played on Hulu, for example.

Joss Whedon could easily be a pioneer in that field. Look at the success of Dr. Horrible.

Release a show on Hulu, with an advertiser/sponsor, then drop it on DVD or BD a few months later. Make it available on iTunes. Heck, you could even make it a 30-60 minute show. This would allow Joss to have complete creative control. No more network meddling.