PDA

View Full Version : Google's Writely word processor

rfruth
March 10th, 2006, 12:41 AM
Is Google Linux friendly or not, their word processor (Writely) http://www2.writely.com/info/WritelyOverflowWelcome.htm
says "we've heard from some folks who run Writely running on Linux, but don't support it because there have been too many problems with it." hmmm

evilgold
March 10th, 2006, 01:26 AM
That kind of thing is browser dependent, not really OS dependent.

It says above the part about not supporting linux that they support IE 5.5+, mozilla 1.4+ and firefox... all of those browsers will run on linux, so writely will run on linux. I dont know whats so speical about the program that they cant support linux, because the browsers all funtion the same no matter what os they are run on.

rfruth
March 10th, 2006, 01:50 AM
You said it evilgold its browser dependent, not OS, Google here I come (again) :mrgreen:

papangul
March 10th, 2006, 11:38 AM
They are speaking as if writely is a standalone program. If this is the situation then may God save Writely and Google.

Jucato
March 12th, 2006, 07:36 AM
Is Google Linux friendly or not, their word processor (Writely) http://www2.writely.com/info/WritelyOverflowWelcome.htm
says "we've heard from some folks who run Writely running on Linux, but don't support it because there have been too many problems with it." hmmm

It would be strange if they were not Linux friendly, considering that it's already known that they're also using Ubuntu on their computers.

Still, I just noticed last night that many of their desktop software (Google Earth, Desktop, etc) all run only on Windows. None for running them natively in Linux. Don't know if they have plans to port them. It would be sad if they don't, since they're so close to giving MS a big headache.

Zeroangel
March 12th, 2006, 08:03 AM
They probably just dont want to support Lynx. :mrgreen:

Felix21685
April 1st, 2006, 08:49 AM
im sure if they had all the resources they wanted to they would do linux and mac.. but windows is mainstream sad enuf..-my opinion

Cavaco
April 20th, 2006, 04:41 PM
whats the point of this app anyway ?

IYY
April 21st, 2006, 07:46 PM
It would obviously work on Linux, but they just don't want to "officially" support it.

macewan
May 16th, 2006, 06:55 PM
It does work on Linux, I use it. I'm using it to write a 5 page research paper - switching between a desktop and laptop. Both using Firefox - the laptop is an iBook with OSX.

No problems noted.

vodkarush
May 16th, 2006, 07:24 PM
Can anybody send me an invite? I'm interested in using it. My email is vodkarush at gmail

Thanks!

Lord Illidan
May 16th, 2006, 07:36 PM
Ah well guys, its a beta... perhaps Google will add linux support, perhaps not. Who cares. There is always AjaxWrite, and Open Office..

kallis
June 21st, 2006, 05:53 PM
came across http://www.zoho.com online office suite.they have http://zohowriter.com online word processor http://www.zohosheet.com online spread sheet .They say online presentation http://zohoshow.com is coming up.
They also have an interesting online application creator http://zohocreator.com.
they are real competitors of google.

Adamant1988
June 28th, 2006, 07:11 PM
if they're doing invites for this please send me one.

adamant1988 at gmail.com

samir85
June 28th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Ok everybody, who needs invites contact me on my JabberID samir.vds@gmail.com

Adamant1988
June 30th, 2006, 05:43 AM
I emailed you.. no response.

blackjack6.21.91
July 4th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Could I please have an invite?
blackjack6.21.91@gmail.com

rcarring
July 4th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Supported browsers: IE6, Firefox 1.5.4
Unsupported: Seamonkey 1.0.2

Miki01
July 6th, 2006, 11:47 PM
invite please yzakb4ddrg at gmail dot com

shirizaan
July 7th, 2006, 05:59 AM
I would also like an invite. shirizaan at gmail.com

jahrules
July 7th, 2006, 01:26 PM
It would be strange if they were not Linux friendly, considering that it's already known that they're also using Ubuntu on their computers.

Still, I just noticed last night that many of their desktop software (Google Earth, Desktop, etc) all run only on Windows. None for running them natively in Linux. Don't know if they have plans to port them. It would be sad if they don't, since they're so close to giving MS a big headache.

the latest beta of google earth has a native linux version
also picasa has been ported to linux by google.

so google is interested in supporting linux, but their priority rests on the huge market share of windows (which is where they generate most money so its understandable)

Hg80
July 7th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Thinkfree.com is so much better

dabear
July 7th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Those who requested to be added earlier in this thread:
-You're added

theosbeer
July 7th, 2006, 07:09 PM
could you send an invite to theosbeer@gmail.com

dabear
July 8th, 2006, 12:37 AM
could you send an invite to theosbeer@gmail.com
done

matrooswolf
July 8th, 2006, 09:38 PM
Hi could you send one to re3info at gmail.com too?
Thanks!

dabear
July 8th, 2006, 10:45 PM
Hi could you send one to re3info at gmail.com too?
Thanks!
Yup

matrooswolf
July 10th, 2006, 08:14 AM
Hi Dabear,
thanks, but did I get that? I can't find it ...
re3info@ gmail.com

Edit: I'm sorry, maybe I should be a little more patient ;)?, maybe it takes some time from writerly?

benplaut
July 10th, 2006, 08:31 AM
you guys probably already exhausted the supply, but if anyone has any left for bplaut [at] gmail, it would be appreciated.

Lord Illidan
July 10th, 2006, 08:41 AM
Hey...me too? lotrlordillidan at gmail.com

kripkenstein
July 11th, 2006, 09:40 AM
I'd be very grateful for an invite, as well: kripkensteiner (at) gmail.com

Thanks!

WaterWalker
July 11th, 2006, 02:29 PM
It'll probably to late but if anybody has an writly invitation left you can send it to deneb.algedi(at)gmail.com

Many thanks

Monsuco
July 12th, 2006, 07:35 AM
the latest beta of google earth has a native linux version
also picasa has been ported to linux by google.

so google is interested in supporting linux, but their priority rests on the huge market share of windows (which is where they generate most money so its understandable)
In addition, Google has contributed to the Wine project when they ported Picasa as they used wine to do so. I think they also contributed a bit to Ubuntu when they made their "goobuntu" private distro. I think they have also hired several of the Gaim devs too and mention 3rd party clients that support google talk. They also help FOSS stuff in their "Summer Of Code" stuff. They also ported their toolbar to the open source Firefox browser. Gmail is accessable with third party programs like Thunderbird. All most all of google's stuff works on Firefox. Google has been very friendly to Linux compaired to it's rivals MSN or Yahoo. It has every reason to want linux to succeed. First, if Google helps increase linux usage, then they are hurting Microsoft, and thus hurting MSN. Also, Google uses linux for their servers and most of their desktops and laptops so it gives them more people to choose from when hiring people if there are more linux users out there as knowing linux is probably a must for working there. Supporting linux also helps google push their "dont be evil" ideal (say what you want about google's filtering in China, the fact is, Yahoo and MSN did it too, and all google really did was make it so that sites china already had blocked didn't appear in the search results. It is likely that if google hadn't filtered them that most of those sites wouldn't be accessable anyways. They werent filtering their search, so much as optimizing it to only show content that would be viewable) Supporting only Windows could be seen as supporting the evil MS. Supporting only Windows and Mac would be seen as supporting the evil MS and the Mac dictatorship. Supporting linux is seen as supporting freedom. IfGoogle may eventually become like Red Hat, Codeweavers, Linspire, or Canonical and benifiting FOSS development. Wouldn't it be nice to have a company that owns the second most visited site in the world that is one of the most powerful tech companies in existance backing linux?

Meanwhile back at the ranch...
Writely seems like it will wind up like Abiword sorta only online. It will be good being able to access my schoolwork from anywere there is web access. I liked google spreadsheets, so I can't wait to see their wordprocessor. Now I doubt it will replace Writter, but it should complement it nicely and (just like linux itself) choice is always a good thing.

ipstone
July 13th, 2006, 04:55 AM
hi, I have been waiting to sign a writely account for a long - until tonight I thought of that someone at ubuntu must can help:
- just found this thread, can someone send me an invitation at
isaacpei at gmail dot com?

greatly appreciated!

matrooswolf
August 20th, 2006, 11:38 AM
Writerly accepts new users, just go to the homepage:
www.writerly.com
(also try out www.zoho.com they have a whole office suite)