PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of the new Ubuntu branding?

madnessjack
March 3rd, 2010, 10:26 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1420839

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Brand

Nice and easy, what do we think?

Islington
March 3rd, 2010, 10:37 PM
Until that gtk theme is refreshed, I will wait to pass judgement.

mickie.kext
March 3rd, 2010, 10:38 PM
Methinks it is nice.

Techsnap
March 3rd, 2010, 10:39 PM
It's a lot neater than the old one IMO, however it's easily changed for people who don't like it. What I'm more interested in are bug fixes and stability updates for 10.04, anyone know the status of those?

Shpongle
March 3rd, 2010, 10:40 PM
its a step in the right direction , it needs a polish , also i think the gtk should be the same color as the title bar.

LIB53
March 3rd, 2010, 10:43 PM
It's a lot neater than the old one IMO, however it's easily changed for people who don't like it. What I'm more interested in are bug fixes and stability updates for 10.04, anyone know the status of those?

The people doing the art probably aren't the same people doing bugfixes, so i bet that the new artwork won't hinder that sort progress.

Madspyman
March 3rd, 2010, 10:44 PM
The poll is to too black and white, had to vote dislike, because I don't like the similarities to OSX, the panel icons are practically forgeries.

Other than that I think it's a step in the right direction, but that wasn't a poll option.

V for Vincent
March 3rd, 2010, 10:59 PM
the branding in general is very nice. the GTK themes can use more work, but I'm sure that'll be resolved in time - the foundations are solid.

phrostbyte
March 3rd, 2010, 11:14 PM
I hope you can move the window controls to the right. But it is like a improvement for sho. :p

Desert Sailor
March 3rd, 2010, 11:21 PM
Precision. We ship high quality software, and we ship it exactly on schedule. Our Debian heritage means that the individual components of our platform are tightly defined and neatly arranged. There is no excess, no fat, and no waste in Ubuntu. We are a community that thrives on delivery.

NO FAT... Hmmmmm Guess I'll have to find another OS, or go on a diet.

kernelhaxor
March 3rd, 2010, 11:21 PM
I like everything there except that the GTK themes can be better than that.

madnessjack
March 3rd, 2010, 11:22 PM
The poll is to too black and white, had to vote dislike, because I don't like the similarities to OSX, the panel icons are practically forgeries.

Other than that I think it's a step in the right direction, but that wasn't a poll option.

My thoughts exactly. Theme wise it's coming across a **** poor take on OSX, overall it's doing okay but an interesting move in what I'm sure is the right direction.

Personal opinions, obviously :P

piousp
March 3rd, 2010, 11:26 PM
What about Kubuntu?

Flimm
March 3rd, 2010, 11:32 PM
I like the new logo. Very slick.

I don't like the metacity theme at all. The buttons are very strange, and on the wrong side of the window! I know you can change that but I think it should be to the right by default, same as Windows and KDE. There's no need to copy Mac's weirdness.

Phrea
March 3rd, 2010, 11:40 PM
Not too fond of the new logo, but I love the posted GTK themes !

sudoer541
March 3rd, 2010, 11:57 PM
so ubuntu branding will change? IS this official?

its so cute!!!

Nevon
March 3rd, 2010, 11:58 PM
The overall Ubuntu branding is alright, some of it a think is great. But the themes are absolutely horrible. It looks like they took a web designer from '95, gave him or her access to gimp, a couple of tutorials and a color scheme made up of 6 randomly generated colors, and then told them to make a theme that will "pop". I am utterly disappointed.

popey
March 3rd, 2010, 11:59 PM
I love it :)

But them I'm a freedom-hating Mac owner so what do I know!?

Technoviking
March 4th, 2010, 12:01 AM
I love it :)

But them I'm a freedom-hating Mac owner so what do I know!?

He's a witch. He floats like a duck.

Technoviking
March 4th, 2010, 12:02 AM
I love it, but I don't know if I can pull off a orange or purple t-shirt. :)

T-V

sudoer541
March 4th, 2010, 12:03 AM
but this is not official right?

LiamWilson
March 4th, 2010, 12:04 AM
I love it! Admittedly, im not 100% sure about the GTK+ theme, but it's nice. Certainly a change for the better, regardless.

LiamWilson
March 4th, 2010, 12:05 AM
but this is not official right?

Yes it is:

wiki.ubuntu.com/Brand

motang
March 4th, 2010, 12:06 AM
I love the new theme colors, boot up screen, and the logo. The website design also looks good. But I dislike the placement of the window button (minimize, close, etc.) I hope I can change them back to be being on the right.

KiwiNZ
March 4th, 2010, 12:23 AM
I love it . I think the team have done a great job. But of course there will be the knockers who will put down the effort but could never come up with a rebranding.

Next , the rebranding of UF ;)

Hyper Tails
March 4th, 2010, 12:25 AM
looks pretty good! :)

macogw
March 4th, 2010, 12:25 AM
Glad I use Kubuntu, cuz that is uuuuugly. Not interested in staring at a black-eye of a wallpaper all day.

samjh
March 4th, 2010, 12:29 AM
Very elegant. I like it, especially the Xubuntu one.

But I think the GTK theme needs a bit of refinement.

K.Mandla
March 4th, 2010, 12:37 AM
I like it. I will still probably change it immediately, if I ever install it, but it's as nice if not nicer than previous releases.

murderslastcrow
March 4th, 2010, 12:45 AM
It's delicious, modern, and while it's leaning towards OSX-ishness, it's only taking the parts of that design flow that work well (muted yet bold colors), and adding the Ubuntu, human spin to things with the colors of the icons and design of the Metacity.

I think it's AWESOME, personally, while I'm sure some users would rather keep the buttons on the other side of the window.

I think it's a very good step in a new direction. People already love and revere Linux and Ubuntu, and this LTS is just going to set it apart once more as an awesome alternative to proprietary software. People will just froth from the mouths with envy, I can tell. XD

IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL!! I've been waiting for so long for someone to, mend all the brand! *Mars Volta*

chillicampari
March 4th, 2010, 12:54 AM
Edit- after looking at it more, looks pretty nice, except that "Spread Ubuntu" graphic with the circle placed in the center still doesn't come off quite right (imo).

kellyhardinguk
March 4th, 2010, 12:59 AM
I like it, very polished clean and simple.

Sure it looks very similar to OS X, but that to me is no bad thing as I like OS X. Looking like Windows wouid just be horrid as it just looks so dated and overcomplicated to me.

Not entirely sure on the orange, but the logo and the new brand images look good.

Certainly a good clean foundation to build upon, which is the important thing to my mind.

PhilGil
March 4th, 2010, 01:06 AM
I think the branding is quite attractive, and I like the new "Ubuntu" font much better than the old one.

The GTK and metacity themes are nice, as well - fresh and bright. Howerver, I really would like the default minimize, close, and maximize button location moved back to the right. I'm sure Apple can produce reams of usability studies to show that their button placement is better, but I think most computer users are more comfortable having them on the right. Different isn't always better.

macogw
March 4th, 2010, 01:14 AM
However, I really would like the default minimize, close, and maximize button location moved back to the right. I'm sure Apple can produce reams of usability studies to show that their button placement is better, but I think most computer users are more comfortable having them on the right. Different isn't always better.

Doubt it. They've had buttons on the left since before they started caring about usability. It's just their "thing." As far as I'm concerned, the "I'm done with this" buttons should be on the side where my eyes end up when I'm done with reading it. As an English speaker, that's the right hand side. If it automatically shifted to the left for Arabic or Hebrew locales, that could make sense.

Matthewthegreat
March 4th, 2010, 01:27 AM
I love the new theme but I really don't like the buttons on the left. I always thought having the button on the left was stupid. Oh well, I'm sure I can change it.

I think it's ok for it to look like mac. If your going to complain that it looks like os x then you should also complain that KDE looks like windows.

gnome = macish

KDE = windowsish

ilcontegis
March 4th, 2010, 01:32 AM
Am I the only one who thinks that this is a Mac OS theme for ubuntu?
I was hoping in something a bit more original rather than copying another OS graphic.......
It's nice to see but not original as too much Mac OSish.
Now in ubuntu 10.10 they will add the dock under and then we will be exactly same as Mac OS.

Really deceived...

dragonboss
March 4th, 2010, 01:49 AM
Lovin' the new looks!

Especially the cd cover concept.The gtk themes are better then current and the new logos give it a sort if bold, edgy, and very professional look.
Good Job Art Guys! =D>

hellion0
March 4th, 2010, 01:50 AM
Absolutely love it. There was nothing wrong with the old branding per se, but sometimes reinvention is a good thing. The fact that it's concurrent with a LTS release only makes it better.

the yawner
March 4th, 2010, 02:35 AM
I'm not so sure about the GTK/Metacity theme. Unlike OSX, we have our menu bar inside the window, also on the left side of the screen. Combined with the placement of the Metacity control buttons on the same area, it makes that side of the window very busy. It takes away the balance in visual weights.

The close button for the active window is a little out of place. It's a bit glossy(?) compared to the other elements.

And maybe it's the shadows and gradients, I'm not sure, but I find the overall tangibility of the windows inconsistent. *shrugs*

Save for these reservations, I find this news a step on the positive. The web themes. The new font. The logo. Yes!

sudoer541
March 4th, 2010, 02:41 AM
I think the new branding is cute!!!!
So that was the big announcement ehh???:p

madnessjack
March 4th, 2010, 10:19 AM
I love it . I think the team have done a great job. But of course there will be the knockers who will put down the effort but could never come up with a rebranding.

I'm guilty of this- I sit here and moan but I couldn't in a million years come up with anything better :P

Our company recently had a re-brand. I hated it and expressed my feelings, even though it was a great improvement. Now, I look at it, and it's just gorgeous.

Anyway- I hate all Window themes. Aero, Luna, Aqua etc. I use Windows Classic at work and I don't hate the default in Karmic when I use that either.

I love the new logos though. Don't mean to be cheesy but maybe it's a grower :P

madmaxo
March 4th, 2010, 10:29 AM
The GtkTheme with the black window title bars almost works, but I'm not sure about the menu bars (eg. File, Edit etc. bit) being black as well. It doesn't quite work.
Overall, I prefer the second GtkTheme screenshot with the lighter colours.

The minimize/maximize/close buttons in both themes don't work at all though. They should be on the right, and as images they just look out of place - they don't blend into the theme well enough. I don't think that sunken effect around them works either.

Otherwise, has a lot of potential...

DubyBreaks
March 4th, 2010, 11:08 AM
=D> Love the new Branding and the new (lighter/tan) theme (not a dull black/grey fan). I also love the new wallpaper, much, much better than karmic. I actually like the buttons on the left as I usually move them there anyways (just "feels" natural there to me, and I have never owned a mac. The buttons on the right side just screams windows too much for me. However the "close" button is in the wrong place IMO, it should be in the far left corner, not the end of the line towards the middle. I also Don't feel the Humanity icons go well with the GTK themes and the wallpaper, but there are many sets out there to choose from (including Humanity Colors). All in all this is one awesome re-branding and I am very excited to see this makeover in action (especially the new boot screen! WooHoo!). I can see myself keeping the lighter of the two themes as my theme w/ some minor adjustments. Great job by all those involved with the new look, I think you all really took the Ubuntu look to a place where it can continue to evolve even further into a polished, clean, professional looking OS (and it already does). That pic w/ Lucid running on the acer looks very, very nice. Congrats to the design team. bravissimo!, bravissimo! =D>

Jay_Bee
March 4th, 2010, 11:45 AM
The version running on that Acer computer has global menu in the top panel. :popcorn:

Ozor Mox
March 4th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Overall I like it, and it's great to have this timed with the LTS. Looking forward to 10.04. The only thing I don't like is that it's a little bit Mac-like. The current look with two panels is more distinctive. Also, I much prefer the window controls on the right, hope they change that or I'll have to switch the default theme straight away.

wojox
March 4th, 2010, 12:45 PM
I like the Logos, especially the fonts. As far as the themes and boot splash go, I'd have to say

http://delusionaltruth.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/hated-it.jpg

Don't care for purple. They should have gone with blue, it holds the most clarity and comfort. Buttons on the left? Guess I have a lot of tweaking to do when I upgrade to Lucid.

PeteUplink
March 4th, 2010, 12:49 PM
I think it looks fine.

madnessjack
March 4th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Don't care for purple. They should have gone with blue, it holds the most clarity and comfort. Buttons on the left? Guess I have a lot of tweaking to do when I upgrade to Lucid.
Yeah but the Orange is synonymous with Ubuntu, and blue doesn't go, so purple is the only other colour.

In my world it would've been light orange and silver/white. But design and making things look nice are not my fortés :P

scouser73
March 4th, 2010, 01:15 PM
I think it looks really smart.

Magnes
March 4th, 2010, 01:20 PM
The GTK theme is just plain ugly. :|

AllRadioisDead
March 4th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Love it. For the first time I can see Ubuntu with a professional feel. The GTK needs a bit of work, but everything else is awesome.

CarpKing
March 4th, 2010, 08:57 PM
In the past, "you can never please everyone" was one of the major arguments against trying to improve the theme (probably second only to "focus on stability and bugfixes). The results of this poll suggest that you can, in fact, please almost everyone.

I really like the new theme and branding. I'm not sure about moving the window controls to the left, though. That's a non-trivial change in behavior, and should not be done lightly.

TheLastDodo
March 4th, 2010, 09:10 PM
Doubt it. They've had buttons on the left since before they started caring about usability. It's just their "thing." As far as I'm concerned, the "I'm done with this" buttons should be on the side where my eyes end up when I'm done with reading it. As an English speaker, that's the right hand side. If it automatically shifted to the left for Arabic or Hebrew locales, that could make sense.

Actually, Classic Mac OS had only the close button on the far left, in order to prevent accidental clicking of it when dealing with the minimize and fit to content buttons. Apple was actually a lot more concerned with usability early on, and I'd argue that Job's return to the company and the switch to OS X hurt certain aspects of the UI, although some of the new ones are commendable (such as Quicklook and Exposé)

gn2
March 5th, 2010, 01:53 AM
So long as there's a button to click that'll make it look exactly like 8.04, I'll be happy.

Voted dislike, but that's a lie, I hate it.

ssj6akshat
March 5th, 2010, 06:45 AM
controls on the left side fsckingly sucks.Big relief they can be changed.

Hilko
March 5th, 2010, 12:18 PM
The new ubuntu logo is no improvement. It looks bad. Besides that people are now used to the old logo and this change makes ubuntu loose its familiar face. The most important reason why this is damaging the ubuntu brand is this:

The old logo with round shaped letters looks much MUCH MORE FRIENDLY.
The new one with it's sharp corners gives you the feeling; sharp, spikes, aggressive, hostile.

I know developers like to change things, to make themselves feel useful. But i'm sure there's been put a lot of thought and hard work in the first logo that made Ubuntu very succesful until today, and is now wasted.

madnessjack
March 5th, 2010, 12:54 PM
The old logo with round shaped letters looks much MUCH MORE FRIENDLY.
The new one with it's sharp corners gives you the feeling; sharp, spikes, aggressive, hostile.

Personally- love the new one, hate the old one, just because of this

http://bancomicsans.com/home.html

LaPalida
March 5th, 2010, 01:00 PM
It's not bad. I like it but... the buttons on the left are going to **** a lot of people off. Bad idea... and it imitates Mac :S boooooo! I like the colors and the logo though.

AllRadioisDead
March 5th, 2010, 01:11 PM
It's not bad. I like it but... the buttons on the left are going to **** a lot of people off. Bad idea... and it imitates Mac :S boooooo! I like the colors and the logo though.
The buttons are on the right.

djchandler
March 5th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Almost anything is an improvement over the boot splash screen of Karmic. Glad to see that the brown mess is gone.

The team gets great marks on the typeface. By far that's the best of the re-branding tweaks, and a definite improvement over the previous typeface.

The obvious imitation of OS X is a little unnerving. The icons in the panel are too minimalist for my liking. Make them with two colors at least and a bit broader strokes--they can be a bit hard too see if grayed. Maybe shadow what you have with a Darker or lighter shade of the color of the panel with a little 3D effect. Also the title bar buttons belong on the right. Most of us are right handed and putting them on the left is just trying to be like OS X, as if that's really different. Functionality should trump design, not that there's anything wrong with good design. Using a single panel by default is good idea for instance. Of course using the smaller icons make that possible. But so does using a condensed sans-serif typeface.

Purple, lavender and gray are better colors than before. I can see where coming up with a color scheme without looking imitative or derivative can be difficult--can't use blue (Windows). green (SUSE), tried orange/brown, forget anything yellowish, and you just can't do red.

The great thing about Linux is I can use the colors, icons and window forms with buttons of my choosing. Personally I prefer Blue and gray or blue and brown. It's still hard to beat Clearlooks.

andras artois
March 5th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Looks a lot better but could do with a little polish.

Small_Nuke
March 5th, 2010, 03:42 PM
I can't handle this theme. It was bad enough that I had to look at the poop brown in Karmic, but this....your forcing me to choose a different distro now.

The type-font for the logo is stupid. Why would Ubuntu use that stupid corner looking font? Do they think it's trendy or something? Bcus when I look at it I just think about how it looks like something some asian take out would use. It looks the exact opposite of the 'humanity' theme that ALL of Ubuntu used to be about.

The new GTK theme looks like someone gave OS X a black eye. It's bad enough that I have to use GNOME bcus Kubuntu is so buggy, but seriously the orange themes (8.04, 8.10) looked A LOT better than this. If I wanted the buttons on the left of the window I would have used the Mac for Lin GTK in the first place. This isn't an out of the box friendly replacement for the Windows theme at all. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone I know that is thinking about trying Linux for the first time.

I think Ubuntu might make themselves more of a niche distro instead of gaining more support from regular users with this new theme and branding. I think regular users can live with orange/brown themes, but throwing in purple and making it look like an eye sore copy of OS X is just BAD. The branding looks way to Asian in origin. I'd be asking myself if I got a copy of Ubuntu with that type-font, "Should I trust this software? It looks like something that came from Korea. It might just hack my PC."

xir_
March 5th, 2010, 04:28 PM
I can't handle this theme. It was bad enough that I had to look at the poop brown in Karmic, but this....your forcing me to choose a different distro now.

The type-font for the logo is stupid. Why would Ubuntu use that stupid corner looking font? Do they think it's trendy or something? Bcus when I look at it I just think about how it looks like something some asian take out would use. It looks the exact opposite of the 'humanity' theme that ALL of Ubuntu used to be about.

The new GTK theme looks like someone gave OS X a black eye. It's bad enough that I have to use GNOME bcus Kubuntu is so buggy, but seriously the orange themes (8.04, 8.10) looked A LOT better than this. If I wanted the buttons on the left of the window I would have used the Mac for Lin GTK in the first place. This isn't an out of the box friendly replacement for the Windows theme at all. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone I know that is thinking about trying Linux for the first time.

I think Ubuntu might make themselves more of a niche distro instead of gaining more support from regular users with this new theme and branding. I think regular users can live with orange/brown themes, but throwing in purple and making it look like an eye sore copy of OS X is just BAD. The branding looks way to Asian in origin. I'd be asking myself if I got a copy of Ubuntu with that type-font, "Should I trust this software? It looks like something that came from Korea. It might just hack my PC."

buttons wont be on the left by default. that was just how that particular dev likes his buttons.

And im sorry you have issue with Asia.

daverich
March 5th, 2010, 06:44 PM
I really like it :)

Kind regards

Dave Rich

BrokenKingpin
March 5th, 2010, 07:15 PM
I am glad to see them move away from the brown, but I am not totally sold on the new theme. I won't pass judgment until release.

ctrlmd
March 5th, 2010, 07:23 PM
it look very nice :)

KiwiNZ
March 5th, 2010, 07:41 PM

Two things....

1. I was unaware that in the next a following releases there will only be one theme and that will be locked down.

2. Take your anti Asian prejudice else where.

RiceMonster
March 5th, 2010, 07:43 PM
The branding looks way to Asian in origin. I'd be asking myself if I got a copy of Ubuntu with that type-font, "Should I trust this software? It looks like something that came from Korea. It might just hack my PC."

I don't think Canonical should be concerned about catering to people with such a prejudice attitude.

t.rei
March 5th, 2010, 07:55 PM
I am a little disappointed:

The scrollbars look a little like gnome 1.2 ones.

And the window-border-buttons just should not be done like that:
* they look crap if in any order other than the planned one.
* they look crap on any window that lacks the maximize or close one.

Then the titlebars do not respond well to change in colors: you cant get the "yellowish taint" out of them without editing the files.

The theme has some nice ideas. But it really lacks a level of professionalism that I would like to see.

ratcheer
March 5th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Personally, I don't see the big deal. It is just a theme and some wallpaper.

Tim

Madspyman
March 5th, 2010, 10:48 PM
Well they said the buttons were on the left, than it was confirmed the buttons were on the right, tested it and it was true, than the buttons jumped back to the left, so I had to move them back to the right.

thunk77
March 5th, 2010, 11:13 PM
Love it!

Bachstelze
March 6th, 2010, 12:11 AM
I liked the old logo better, too many sharp edges in the new one. That said, I still answered "Indifferent" because I really couldn't care less. I don't use the default Ubuntu theme, so I'll never see the Ubuntu logo anyway.

AlphaMack
March 6th, 2010, 03:50 AM
http://delusionaltruth.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/hated-it.jpg

:lol:

Ewingo401
March 6th, 2010, 04:33 AM
I like the direction they're going with the new theme and wallpaper. Can't say that I'm crazy about the new logo though.

hiflyer780
March 6th, 2010, 06:41 AM
It's a little better, it's definitely not amazing looking though. I think Ubuntu should be beautiful out of the box... or iso.

mikewhatever
March 6th, 2010, 07:27 AM
Well well, it looks like according to the poll, the new look is a resounding success. Well done.