PDA

View Full Version : Xandros dissing Gnome

kleeman
March 10th, 2006, 12:25 AM
I got an email advert today from Xandros in which they use Linus Torvalds to attack gnome and push kde:

"The KDE interface used in Xandros has received the full endorsement of Linux's namesake with Torvalds proclaiming "I personally just encourage people to switch to KDE." The debate between Gnome and KDE centers around the balance between simplicity and functionality, with KDE developers taking the position that more functionality is worth a sacrifice in simplicity.

"If you think your users are idiots, only idiots will use it," said Torvalds of GNOME "I do not use GNOME, because in striving to be simple, it has long since reached the point where it simply does not do what I need it to do."

I don't like these kind of divisive "attacks" I use both gnome and kde apps. Comments?

bored2k
March 10th, 2006, 12:27 AM
Xandros is not dissing gnome. They have to right to quote Torvalds, a man of great influence, to promote their operating system, which happens to use KDE (although a heavily modified version). They're just using his words to boast their distribution.

My comment? there's nothing wrong with that. Linus dissing gnome? that's old news. It's still his right too, just like ~73% of our users diss KDE. After all, he's a mere mortal.

kleeman
March 10th, 2006, 12:29 AM
Perfectly within their rights I agree however I wonder how Linus feels to be used in a heavy handed frankly clumsy sales pitch. Not classy in my view

Bandit
March 10th, 2006, 12:33 AM
Xandros is not dissing gnome. They have to right to quote Torvalds, a man of great influence, to promote their operating system, which happens to use KDE (although a heavily modified version). They're just using his words to boast their distribution.

My comment? there's nothing wrong with that. Linus dissing gnome? that's old news. It's still his right too, just like ~73% of our users diss KDE. After all, he's a mere mortal.
Very True..
I am one of the Gnome guys myself.
Although I think it may have influenced the Gnome devs to pick up the pace on some features tho.. :)
Criticism (or how ever you spell it) can be a good motavating tool.
Cheers,
Joey

Peter41az
March 10th, 2006, 12:34 AM
I was reading about that on Slashdot.org. I never really Saw linus torvalds as an amiable kind of guy anyway haha. I use KDE, Gnome, terminal, and when i really screw up, failsafe lol. I dont care what linus thinks :) Funny thing is, I seem to recall his first x11 endeavor WAS Gnome.

Lord Illidan
March 10th, 2006, 12:37 AM
I sometimes also get the impression that Linus might not be such a nice guy as people think he is. But hell, he is a genius, after all, and far more practical than RMS, at least.

I used to dislike GNOME, but I have moved further towards it in Ubuntu. Kubuntu was just too unstable for me, and I like the calmer desktop of GNOME.

One thing I hate though, is the lack of configurability - gnome screensaver comes to mind.

Peter41az
March 10th, 2006, 12:43 AM
I had probems with Kubuntu too. Especially permissions, Admin mode, etc. But i do like kde, so i loaded kde-desktop over ubuntu, and it runs fine. Ubuntu with eye candy :)

xequence
March 10th, 2006, 12:45 AM
Rumour has it linus only wrote 2% of the linux kernel ;O

Lovechild
March 10th, 2006, 12:45 AM
First they laugh at you, then they attack you, then you win.

Fact is that GNOME has huge succes both in vendor buy in and user base increase. Why is this if it's a pile of crap according to Linus, easy he is not the target audience and he knows it.

Lord Illidan
March 10th, 2006, 12:46 AM

Yeah, but if it hadn't been for him who started it?

Lord Illidan
March 10th, 2006, 12:46 AM
I love that Gandhi quote!

Peter41az
March 10th, 2006, 12:51 AM
ahhh bringing back memories as a lad with MiniX running on a 4.77 mhz 8088 lmaoo:-D

Sirin
March 10th, 2006, 12:53 AM

hehe.

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." :-D

ComplexNumber
March 10th, 2006, 01:03 AM
I got an email advert today from Xandros in which they use Linus Torvalds to attack gnome and push kde since when has linux torvalds ever been a userbility expert? :roll:
perhaps they should get President Bush or my grandma to advocate Gnome :-k. on second thoughts, best not.

bored2k
March 10th, 2006, 01:04 AM
I was reading about that on Slashdot.org. I never really Saw linus torvalds as an amiable kind of guy anyway haha.That's highly unfair. He gave his opinions as a mere human mortal, a mortal, just like any one of us. I've read thousands of "Gnome/KDE sucks" comments from people here, and I don't see anyone going absolute bananas over any of those. So now we are to crucify and bash on Linus just because he gave his opinion, just like anybody else does? Please. Ridiculous. So now he has no right to give his opinion? People, the man says Gnome sucks, for him, it sucks. He cares not what we all think about his opinion, because at the end of the day, he will boot his KDE system and/or his Windows-based tablets. You know why? because it's in his "fracking" right to do so. By calling Linus out for saying Gnome's for idiots makes him right, because we are idiots if we burn him for his comments.

Sheinar
March 10th, 2006, 01:06 AM
Yeah, but if it hadn't been for him who started it?
Then the GNU Hurd kernel would probably be usable by now.

bored2k
March 10th, 2006, 01:06 AM
since when has linux torvalds ever been a userbility expert? :roll:
perhaps they should get President Bush to advocate Gnome :-k. on second thoughts, best not.
Since he created Linux. At its Linus. You don't see Miguel de Icaza going off on Linus' comments. Why? because the man knows it's in his right to do so. So Bill Gates says *nix sucks. So what?

Peter41az
March 10th, 2006, 01:08 AM
I guess i should re explain myself there. It IS his right to an opinion, just like the rest of us. I was referring to a long standing Argument between Linus Torvalds and Ken Brown, who originally stated that Linus didnt write linux. the argument got really heated. Got to see the hotheaded side of him, which is what i meant by not amiable :) Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Lord Illidan
March 10th, 2006, 01:13 AM
bored2k : remember the debacle over Bitkeeper etc?

I am not saying out and out that he is a bad guy. I have great respect for the man, though he is not my idol. I just want to point out that he does have some bad sides too, he is a man after all.

ComplexNumber
March 10th, 2006, 01:14 AM
Since he created Linux. At its Linus. You don't see Miguel de Icaza going off on Linus' comments. Why? because the man knows it's in his right to do so. So Bill Gates says *nix sucks. So what? yes, but he had nothing to the interface. its a bit like advocating one style of car seat over another based on the endorsement of the manufacturer of the engine.

woedend
March 10th, 2006, 01:20 AM
I think the strongest case for people who dis either is to look at the distrowatch charts. 3 out of 4 top distros have something in common - gnome by default.

Peter41az
March 10th, 2006, 01:25 AM
well im not dissing either, i use both. Im just happy not to see an XP splash screen pop up. LOL.

bored2k
March 10th, 2006, 02:01 AM
I think the strongest case for people who dis either is to look at the distrowatch charts. 3 out of 4 top distros have something in common - gnome by default.
What does the Distrowatch charts really mean anyways? That N distribution is better? No. It purely means that the top ones are the current "hot heads", not more than that. Linus said Gnome was for idiots, not that it wasn't popular, so I don't see how it relates. Care to enlighten me?

Qrk
March 10th, 2006, 02:04 AM
We expect too much from the famous people society idolizes. None of them are perfect, or live up to the hype.

Just a few examples,
Martin Luther King Jr. had several affairs dispite being a minister...
Ghandi had some odd ideas about female sexuality
The Dali Lama was a figurehead of a repressive theocracy
Abraham Lincoln may have freed the slaves, but he harmed the native americans more than any president besides Jackson.

But I still respect all of these men, because it was their great feat that changed the course of history, not their fobles.

/tangent

Linus is at least similar... he is respected as the father of Linux, and rightly so. Who expects such a man to be perfect?

bored2k
March 10th, 2006, 02:16 AM
bored2k : remember the debacle over Bitkeeper etc?

I am not saying out and out that he is a bad guy. I have great respect for the man, though he is not my idol. I just want to point out that he does have some bad sides too, he is a man after all.
Yes, I do remember it.

I apologize for soundling like I am aggressively venting off, but as it turns out, I am venting off. I can not stand it when Linus or any public/popular figure gets trashed and/or criticized for being human. So I simply do not understand why do you need to "point out that he does have some bad sides too", because as you said it yourself, "he is a man after all", and isn't that how we all are? We all have two sides: one good, one bad. Him not having both sides good is nothing incredible, so I just do not see why we need to point out when he makes such comments. How about we all hear his opinion, respect it, and move on?

I was 2 seconds away from starting a "This guy is good, but here's what he did wrong", but Qrk gracefully complemented my idea (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=808514&postcount=24).

In short, how about we remember he's done for the world and forget about his simple opinion? He's not a god, so not everything he says comes from above.

KiwiNZ
March 10th, 2006, 02:16 AM
The Distrowatch ranking measures hits per day on the websites thats all.

bored2k
March 10th, 2006, 02:20 AM
If you add up all the code the 70,000+ members of these Forums have wrote for the kernel, they wouldn't even match half of what he's done. Although irrelevant, this just shows that no matter what the argument is, the man needs some respect./

woedend
March 10th, 2006, 02:35 AM
removed. aysiu is right shouldnt be arguing. to each his own.

jobezone
March 10th, 2006, 02:45 AM
Actually, Linus Torval himself did not write Linux! This myth has been busted some years ago, from the man himself:

"LinuxWorld Exclusive: Linus Torvalds Makes Startling Admission, Discloses *Real* Fathers of Linux May 17, 2004 Summary As only Linus Torvalds can, the undisputed - except by the Alexis de Tocqueville Institute - inventor of Linux has as promised let LinuxWorld have his immediate comment on the AdTI's president's claims this morning that the parentage of Linux is in doubt. Read his startling admission exclusively here.

"Ok, I admit it. I was just a front-man for the real fathers of Linux, the Tooth Fairy and Santa Claus."

Thus begins a characteristically Torvaldsian e-mail to LinuxWorld News Desk sent by Linus Torvalds in response to our invitation to comment on the sensationalist claims this morning that he isn't, after all, the inventor of Linux.

"They (for obvious reasons) couldn't step forward to admit that they had gotten bitten by the computer bug, and had been developing a series of operating systems on their own during the off season. But when they started with Linux (which they originally called Freax - they do feel like outsiders, you know, and that's a whole sad story in itself), they felt that they could no longer just let it languish in obscurity. They started to look for a front-man, and since Santa Claus is from Finland and thus has connections to Helsinki University, and the tooth fairy claimed 'He's got good strong teeth,' I got selected."

"Since then," Torvalds continues, "I've lived a life of subterfuge, always afraid that somebody would find out the truth. I'm actually relieved that it's over, and that the Alexis de Tocqueville Institute has finally uncovered the lie. I can now go back to my chosen profession, the exploration of the fascinating mating dance of the common newt."

In a PS he adds:

"Btw, did you know that newts have more offspring if you play the harmonica to them during their mating rituals? It's true."

And in a PPS:

Btw, I do believe that somebody took over adti.net.

I don't think the Alexis de Tocqueville institute ever had humor (they certainly used to take themselves very seriously), but their site today is filled with jokes.

Maybe they forgot to pay their DNS registration fee, and some enterprising person decided to play a joke on them? Or maybe their clocks are running a month-and-a-half late?

Or is it really unintentional?

Linus
"

aysiu
March 10th, 2006, 02:48 AM
Can't people just get along?

I use Gnome and KDE and XFCE.
I switch around whenever I choose.
What works for one person may not work for the next.
To each her own.

Geez.

kleeman
March 10th, 2006, 03:14 AM
Can't people just get along?

I use Gnome and KDE and XFCE.
I switch around whenever I choose.
What works for one person may not work for the next.
To each her own.

Geez.
Amen to that brother!

BoneKracker
March 10th, 2006, 03:17 AM
Xandros is desperate, they have a business model to support. Their advertising has also become increasingly aggressive, seeming to specifically target people who are considering Ubuntu.

They sound to me like Microshaft in their ads about how they have lower total cost of ownership than Linux.

Distrowatch reports the following (today is 3/9/06). Where is Xandros? #16! Well, at least they're beating PuppyLinux:

Rank Distribution H.P.D (page hits per day)
1 Ubuntu 2679>
2 SUSE 1798>
3 Mandriva 1577>
4 Fedora 1152<
5 MEPIS 960=
6 Damn Small 861<
7 Debian 790>
8 KNOPPIX 719>
9 Gentoo 647=
10 Slackware 629=
11 Kubuntu 523=
12 FreeBSD 522>
13 PCLinuxOS 515<
14 Vector 438=
15 KANOTIX 411=
16 Xandros 349=
17 Puppy 339=

KiwiNZ
March 10th, 2006, 03:23 AM
I hope Xandros is successful. Every commercial distribution that fails just adds weight to the argument that Linux is unsustainable.

bored2k
March 10th, 2006, 04:39 AM
Distrowatch reports the following (today is 3/9/06). Where is Xandros? #16! Well, at least they're beating PuppyLinux:Again, what is your point with that? Xandros isn't aimed at those who browse and frequent linux websites, it's aimed at those who as the biggest act of geekiness, visit Neowin.

Bandit
March 10th, 2006, 04:44 AM
Quote from Xandro's website:

* Xandros Desktop OS Version 3 Standard Edition Installation CD
* 10 page Getting Started Guide
* 30 days of e-mail installation technical support
* CPU sticker and product serial number sticker
http://www.xandros.com/products/home/desktopstd/dsk_std_whatsin.html

Sorry I think anyone refers to a PC as a CPU is a fraking idiot...

KiwiNZ
March 10th, 2006, 04:51 AM
Quote from Xandro's website:

http://www.xandros.com/products/home/desktopstd/dsk_std_whatsin.html

Sorry I think anyone refers to a PC as a CPU is a fraking idiot...

Most users that contact me at work refer to the PC as the "CPU" or the "box" or hmm the "modem thingy under my desk".
My point , Xandros is targeting the average user that buys PC's from the High Street so they are using their language.

bored2k
March 10th, 2006, 04:52 AM
anyone refers to a PC as a CPU is a fraking idiot...And here we are, bashing Linus for saying the same thing, only with more sense into it. Hilarious.

Bandit
March 10th, 2006, 05:34 AM
And here we are, bashing Linus for saying the same thing, only with more sense into it. Hilarious.
I am not bashing him. But if I heard him call a PC a CPU I would ream his *** about it..

mstlyevil
March 10th, 2006, 05:35 AM
Ackkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk! Quit fighting. It's all good. Now lets dance and be happy.\\:D/ :mrgreen: :-D

Bandit
March 10th, 2006, 05:37 AM
Ackkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk! Quit fighting. It's all good. Now lets dance and be happy.\\:D/ :mrgreen: :-D
Who wants Gin -n- Juice :D

woedend
March 10th, 2006, 06:05 AM
And here we are, bashing Linus for saying the same thing, only with more sense into it. Hilarious.

um...big difference.

hscottyh
March 10th, 2006, 06:25 AM
Isn't it great we all have a choice and what ever choice we make it's all free!

bored2k
March 10th, 2006, 07:24 AM
I am not bashing him. But if I heard him call a PC a CPU I would ream his *** about it..
That's your point of view. In my country, both experts and regular users simply call their PCs their CPUs. The fact that It may be "politically" wrong does not give you the right to call anyone an idiot.

bored2k
March 10th, 2006, 07:24 AM
um...big difference.
How so? He calls people idiots, Linus does. He's a human, Linus is too. Where's the difference?

bored2k
March 10th, 2006, 07:25 AM
Isn't it great we all have a choice and what ever choice we make it's all free!
We do have choice. But here, the choice of freely bashing and calling people idiots is simply not an option.

Bandit
March 10th, 2006, 08:24 AM
That's your point of view. In my country, both experts and regular users simply call their PCs their CPUs. The fact that It may be "politically" wrong does not give you the right to call anyone an idiot.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

The word idiot, is derived from the Greek word ιδιωτης, idiōtēs, "a private citizen, individual", from ιδιος, idios, "private". It was originally used in the ancient Greek city-states to refer to people who were overly concerned with their own self-interest and ignored the needs of the community. These people were seen as having bad judgement in public and political matters. Over time, the term "idiot" shifted away from its original connotation of selfishness and came to refer to individuals with overall bad judgement - that is, individuals who are stupid.

(Redirected from Stupid)

Stupidity is the quality or condition of being stupid, or lacking intelligence.

So simply put..
A CPU is the Central Processer Unit.

(Redirected from CPU)

This is a featured article. Click here for more information.

"CPU" redirects here. For other uses, see CPU (disambiguation).

A central processing unit (CPU), or sometimes simply processor, is the component in a digital computer that interprets instructions and processes data contained in software. CPUs provide the fundamental digital computer trait of programmability, and are one of the core components found in almost all modern microcomputers, along with primary storage and input/output facilities. A CPU that is manufactured using integrated circuits, often just one, is known as a microprocessor. Since the mid-1970s, single-chip microprocessors have almost totally replaced all other types of CPUs, and today the term "CPU" almost always applies to some type of microprocessor.

No where in the discription does it state a CPU is the whole system.
Now I am not going to go way into this. Your smart fellow.. I trust you know the diference.
Many people also refer to the engine inside a car as a MOTOR. Which it is not. If you look up Engine in the dictonary "a engine is a mechanical body that produces its own power." Where as a Motor is "a mechanical body that is driven by external power."

The CPU/PC & Engine/Motor thing are just two of my pet pee's.. Normally these are spoken by people of less intelegence and are politicaly "stupid".
Becuase they dont know the diference...

Cheers,
Joey

BoyOfDestiny
March 10th, 2006, 08:32 AM
So simply put..
A CPU is the Central Processer Unit.

No where in the discription does it state a CPU is the whole system.
Now I am not going to go way into this. Your smart fellow.. I trust you know the diference.
Many people also refer to the engine inside a car as a MOTOR. Which it is not. If you look up Engine in the dictonary "a engine is a mechanical body that produces its own power." Where as a Motor is "a mechanical body that is driven by external power."

The CPU/PC & Engine/Motor thing are just two of my pet pee's.. Normally these are spoken by people of less intelegence and are politicaly "stupid".
Becuase they dont know the diference...

Cheers,
Joey

Gotta agree on this one (not that people are idiots, but that it's wrong...) I've heard people call their computer's CPUs... i.e. power point is on my cpu... I don't say a damn thing though. I've only heard the non-tech savvy make the error.

If professionals etc are using it, it's still wrong by definition.

P.S. My CPU is neural net processor, a learning computer. nm... ;)

P.P.S. It's Central Processing Unit

KiwiNZ
March 10th, 2006, 08:33 AM

So a person who does not know all the correct terms for the anatomy or all the correct terms for part of a Jet fighter are of less intelligence.

If a Doctor calls his PC a CPU he is of less intelligence?

Sorry Bandit but I cannot agree you should not make sweeping statements like that.

Peter41az
March 10th, 2006, 03:19 PM
<peeking in> This is still going on, huh? lol.

kleeman
March 10th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Yeah honestly! It was just a crappy Xandros advert for goodness sake!

Peter41az
March 10th, 2006, 03:39 PM
i find it amazing that because i spoke MY mind, my post count got frozen. how silly is that

kleeman
March 10th, 2006, 03:42 PM
I doubt it. It's just that posts in this subforum (Community Chat) don't earn you points.

Peter41az
March 10th, 2006, 03:46 PM
i keep forgetting where i am heh. Anyway, im off in ventures of other things, im sticking a fork in this forum, its done heh. Cant get hotplug subsystem to initialize on a HP S7320, so gonna go play with that :) have a good one!

Bandit
March 10th, 2006, 04:07 PM
So a person who does not know all the correct terms for the anatomy or all the correct terms for part of a Jet fighter are of less intelligence.

If a Doctor calls his PC a CPU he is of less intelligence?

Sorry Bandit but I cannot agree you should not make sweeping statements like that.
In that feild of expertise yes.
Lets face it. I came to terms with being a idiot when it comes to spelling a long time ago.... You can prob go back and find dozens of miss spelled words on this thread alone just from little o' me..
Lets face the truth. Just becuase someone can perform brain surgery doesnt mean I am going to let them fix the fuel injection system on my car...
If you need to know in def information about computer science and automotive engineering. I am your guy,, But for gods sake dont ask me to spell or gammer check your college paper. Its not my strong point. Becuase when it comes to those things I am a idiot.. Sad but true....

prizrak
March 10th, 2006, 05:57 PM
OK on the PC vs CPU debate. This is a simple fact from my own experience. When I went to college I was technically a business major (despite my fairly extensive programming background) so I had to take a class that familiarized us with computers. The book that we used gave a definition of a CPU as BOTH the physical piece of silicone AND the tower itself. It mentioned that it is more often than not refered to the processor HOWEVER it is also technically correct to call the tower itself CPU becuase that IS where all the processing goes on. This is a definition from the book that has been written to educate people about computers. It's the same with Engine/Motor, the terms are similar enough to be interchangeable, just because I may call an engine a motor doesn't mean I couldn't fix a car. Actually in my old coutnry they use motor almost exclusively to refer to any engine like device, as well as actual motors.

Bandit
March 10th, 2006, 07:57 PM
- Cells make up tissue, tissues make up organs, organs make up organ system
- Silacon makes up waffers, waffers make up chips, chips make up circuit-boards, circuit boards make up system. (close enough analogy)

Now take in into account, that I offten refer to the PC as a Box. A Linux Box or a Windows Box.. Now I said windows I gota pay M$ 50 bucks.. :)
So if you guys/gals feel CPU is a fine term for a computer. Thats fine.
But in my house if someone calls a computer a CPU, someone is going to get "You an idiot look."
But your house, is your rules.. :D

prizrak
March 10th, 2006, 09:11 PM
- Cells make up tissue, tissues make up organs, organs make up organ system
- Silacon makes up waffers, waffers make up chips, chips make up circuit-boards, circuit boards make up system. (close enough analogy)

Now take in into account, that I offten refer to the PC as a Box. A Linux Box or a Windows Box.. Now I said windows I gota pay M$ 50 bucks.. :)
So if you guys/gals feel CPU is a fine term for a computer. Thats fine.
But in my house if someone calls a computer a CPU, someone is going to get "You an idiot look."
But your house, is your rules.. :D
I could care less what people call their comps, hell my cousin used to think Windows WAS a computer he asked me if Win2K was a better computer than Win98 (was back in the day obviously). I was just trying to make a point that refering to the box itself as a CPU is perfectly acceptable even in professional circles :)

mstlyevil
March 10th, 2006, 09:28 PM
People who are new to something or unfamilliar with it tend to use terms they have heard but do not know what they really mean. I know a lot of average joe computer users that call a tower the CPU. Some of these people are college educated and are very bright. I would not call them a idiot for getting terms confused. Their experties just lie elsewhere than computers and operating systems.

mips
March 10th, 2006, 09:37 PM
I have no hassle with the word idiot and love the Irish version/pronounciation of it, "egit/eejit" ;)

I can think of calling people a lot worse things than idiot...

mips
March 10th, 2006, 09:51 PM
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=142522

Bandit
March 10th, 2006, 10:24 PM
"egit/eejit"
LOL.. You just reminded me. Thats how my dad pronounces it.. :-D

fuscia
March 11th, 2006, 12:17 AM
fluxbox > gnome and kde. gnome is for idiots and kde is for idiots with ocd.