PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Is the newest update safe?

006ruler
March 3rd, 2010, 09:38 PM
Hi all, I am asking this question because the LAST time i installed the selected upgrades, it distroyed the operating system and i had to reinstall it. Is this update safe, as in it won't send me to the text startup where it needs something it doesn't have?

ajgreeny
March 3rd, 2010, 10:18 PM
What update(s) are you talking about? Also what update caused the problem you are saying caused the destruction of your system last time, which I think is not really what happened?

I think it may have been something as simple as a new kernel, and that does not actually destroy your system at all, but may make the display disappear, depending on the graphics card you have.

Timothy Taylor
March 3rd, 2010, 10:21 PM
If your system is working, leave it alone!

I tried upgrading to 9.10 and have had nothing but trouble just trying to get the wretched thing to run.

I'm now back to running XP. How depressing is that?

presence1960
March 4th, 2010, 04:41 AM
If your system is working, leave it alone!

I tried upgrading to 9.10 and have had nothing but trouble just trying to get the wretched thing to run.

I'm now back to running XP. How depressing is that?

very depressing given the fact if 9.10 wouldn't work on your machine you could have installed 9.04

MasterMac
March 4th, 2010, 06:24 AM
I just bought this netbook 2 weeks ago. It HAD Windows 7 Starter pre-installed, which was absolute crap. So I looked into Linux and found the netbook remix Ubuntu 9.10. Install went well and I'm running it now. So far I haven't had any problems. But that still remains to be seen I guess.

BenAshton24
March 4th, 2010, 06:31 AM
You can check if there are any update problems via ubuntu's new twitter account. http://twitter.com/ubuntustatus

spectralblue
March 4th, 2010, 11:26 AM
As always, individual systems vary, and with each release of ubuntu, they try to have support for as many systems available while keeping the size of the iso low.

Because of these, on some systems, a little configuration is needed, kinda like loading drivers for Windows. In most systems though, ubuntu should install with no problems, and you should be able to use it fine. As always though, whenever you're upgrading, you should always consider backing up your data - as is with any operating system.

I don't think any update in ubuntu actually would destroy your system, unless of course it was interrupted during a critical state (like a sudden power outage). If it can't display your desktop, or your graphics are messed up, you can usually use the previous kernel as mentioned, activate another driver, reinstall something via the command line, etc. and you can get help, just like this :)

Timothy Taylor
March 4th, 2010, 02:12 PM
very depressing given the fact if 9.10 wouldn't work on your machine you could have installed 9.04

Yeah, right... (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8914683#post8914683)

slakkie
March 4th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Hi all, I am asking this question because the LAST time i installed the selected upgrades, it distroyed the operating system and i had to reinstall it. Is this update safe, as in it won't send me to the text startup where it needs something it doesn't have?

Step one: http://clonezilla.org
Step two: Burn the clonezilla image to a CD
Step three: Reboot from the clonezilla CD and clone your whole disk and/or root partition
Step four: Boot Ubuntu, do the upgrade
Step five: Reboot (for the kernel updates etc etc)
Step six: Enjoy

If step six fails:
Step seven: Boot from clonezilla CD
Step eight: Restore your partition/disk
Step nine: Reboot and enjoy your current installation once again.

And you have nothing to worry about.