PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Rebranding Revealed

Pages : [1] 2

Technoviking
March 3rd, 2010, 08:49 PM
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Brand?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=blackeubuntulogo.png

A Fresh Look for Ubuntu

The new style of Ubuntu is driven by the theme "Light". We've developed a comprehensive set of visual guidelines and treatments that reflect that style, and are updating key assets like the logo accordingly. The new theme takes effect in 10.04 LTS and will define our look and feel for several years.

Ubuntu has seen a tremendous amount of growth and change since it was conceived in 2004. Back then it was a small project with strong ambitions and a handful of developers passionate about delivering a world class Linux Operating System that can compete on every level with Microsoft and Apple. We adopted a style based on the tagline "Linux for Human Beings", and called it "Human". Six years on we have made incredible progress. Ubuntu is a global phenomenon: we have carved out a pervasive culture of quality and design, thoughtful usability and great technology all fused together in a project that maintains the same commitment to community and collaborative development that we embraced back in 2004.

In 2009, a small team lead by Mark Shuttleworth, conducted a review of our key brand values and identity. Based on that work, a set of visual treatments were produced, and shared with key members of the Ubuntu Art community, spanning the core distributions, derivatives, and aligned efforts like the Forums. Representatives from Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Edubuntu, Xubuntu, Mythbuntu, SpreadUbuntu and more came to London and worked with the Canonical design team to refine the designs and work together. The results of that work are presented here.

Brand Values
The key values we believe are reflected in the Ubuntu project are:

Precision. We ship high quality software, and we ship it exactly on schedule. Our Debian heritage means that the individual components of our platform are tightly defined and neatly arranged. There is no excess, no fat, and no waste in Ubuntu. We are a community that thrives on delivery.
Reliability. We are building Ubuntu for serious use. Whether it is being deployed on the desktop or in the cloud, we care that Ubuntu is secure, reliable and predictable. We deliver updates to Ubuntu that are rigorously tested. When we make a mistake, we learn from it and put in place good processes to ensure that it does not happen again.
Collaboration. Ubuntu is the result of collaborative work between thousands of people, and it is both the beneficiary and the public face of the collaborative work of *tens* of thousands of free software developers who build individual upstream components, or aggregate them in Debian. We go to great lengths to ensure that anybody, anywhere, who is passionate about Ubuntu and competent to participate, can do so. We enable virtual participation in our physical Ubuntu Developer Summits, we use mailing lists and IRC in preference to over-the-cubicle-wall communications, and we welcome contributions from both companies and individuals. Our governance bodies reflect the diversity of that participation, and leadership or permissions are based on proven merit, not corporate employment.
Freedom. We strive to deliver the very best free software platform. Our highest mission is to accelerate the adoption and spread of free software, to make it the de facto standard way that people build and consume software. We celebrate the work of other groups committed to collaborative content development, and open content licensing. While we are pragmatic about this (we ship proprietary drivers when we believe they are a requirement to get free software working well on PC's) we expressly do not include any proprietary applications in the default installation of Ubuntu. We want people to love and appreciate free software, and even though we work to make sure that Ubuntu is compatible with, certified with and iteroperable with popular proprietary software, we do so to facilitate the adoption of free alternatives to proprietary solutions.

While the branding has changed, the freedoms and rights have not: our global community will still maintain access to the resources needed to construct logos that use the branding. We will be providing the new font, images, colour specs, and a set of recommendations for creating branding for websites, t-shirts and the other needs of our community. As before we will protect the integrity of the Ubuntu brand with the Ubuntu Trademark Policy (http://www.ubuntu.com/aboutus/trademarkpolicy).

Light: Ubuntu is Lightware
The new style in Ubuntu is inspired by the idea of "Light".

We're drawn to Light because it denotes both warmth and clarity, and intrigued by the idea that "light" is a good value in software. Good software is "light" in the sense that it uses your resources efficiently, runs quickly, and can easily be reshaped as needed. Ubuntu represents a break with the bloatware of proprietary operating systems and an opportunity to delight to those who use computers for work and play. More and more of our communications are powered by light, and in future, our processing power will depend on our ability to work with light, too.

Visually, light is beautiful, light is ethereal, light brings clarity and comfort.

Historical perspective: From 2004-2010, the theme in Ubuntu was "Human". Our tagline was "Linux for Human Beings" and we used a palette reflective of the full range of humanity. Our focus as a project was bringing Linux from the data center into the lives of our friends and global family.

[More info and images at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Brand]

TuckLive
March 3rd, 2010, 08:50 PM
Very cool! :p

TuckLive
March 3rd, 2010, 08:53 PM
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Brand

Your link is broke

The Toxic Mite
March 3rd, 2010, 08:58 PM
TTM APPROVES!i!

Technoviking
March 3rd, 2010, 09:02 PM
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Brand

Your link is broke
Fixed. Thanks

T-V

virusiidx
March 3rd, 2010, 09:03 PM
Nice! I like it.

Shpongle
March 3rd, 2010, 09:05 PM
its a step in the right direction , looking forward to seeing some concepts implemented :-)

lisati
March 3rd, 2010, 09:08 PM
So much for the logo on the lanyard and t-shirt that I have! :)

Madspyman
March 3rd, 2010, 09:16 PM
Kinda looks like Shiki meets Dust meets Leopard. Definitely a better default than Human though. Best thing about Human was the Humanity icons, they only had one release to shine, shame to see them go. RIP Humanity.

Edit: To clarify I meant the icons in the Gnome-Panel, very happy to see Humanity's icons in the window manager.

Islington
March 3rd, 2010, 09:17 PM
Someone submit the wiki page on digg.

its already on reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/b8uy2/

fatality_uk
March 3rd, 2010, 09:21 PM
Anyone notice the ASUS PC? Link up on the cards?

Keyper7
March 3rd, 2010, 09:21 PM
Kinda looks like Shiki meets Dust meets Leopard. Definitely a better default than Human though. Best thing about Human was the Humanity icons, they only had one release to shine, shame to see them go. RIP Humanity.

What are you talking about?

The theme screenshots both show Humanity and there is nothing on the page stating that Humanity will not be used anymore.

Where did you get this information from?

Madspyman
March 3rd, 2010, 09:24 PM
The theme screenshots both show Humanity and there is nothing on the page stating that Humanity will not be used anymore.

Oh sorry I meant the panel icons though that they were a new icon theme based on the OSX icons.

Miguel
March 3rd, 2010, 09:25 PM
Thumbs up for the new font!

I'm glad to see ubuntu set some defined goals. I feel some clearer definition of target user is still needed, but overall it seems good (albeit a bit cloudy, may I add)

yoasif
March 3rd, 2010, 09:27 PM
When is this dropping? I want to play with it! :)

Sand & Mercury
March 3rd, 2010, 09:30 PM
Looks like the design team is starting to throw their weight around.

These new designs on the wiki look absolutely beautiful, I think most of us will agree that Ubuntu is long overdue for a facelift.

Mykle87
March 3rd, 2010, 09:30 PM
Someone submit the wiki page on digg.

its already on reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/b8uy2/

Submitted
http://digg.com/d31KXR8

orlox
March 3rd, 2010, 09:31 PM
Very nice work!

Will additional branding for kubuntu be revealed, or for now only ubuntu and xubuntu branding has been redone?

Nickedynick
Huge rethink in design, and I have to say that on first impressions I very much like it! I'm not 100% sure about buttons on the left side of the window, but I'm sure it'll grow on me.

I think newcomers are going to be inevitably drawing comparisons with OSX now. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing, but it's bound to be more prevalent.

Also, will we be getting a purple version of the current login screen now? :P

The Toxic Mite
New design for UF, maybe?? :P

Tristam Green
March 3rd, 2010, 09:35 PM
I can dig the new logo. It's definitely less "childlike", if the term fits.

Keyper7
March 3rd, 2010, 09:35 PM
Oh boy, brace yourselves for the avalanche of "how can they say it's lightware if it includes X, Y and Z by default blah blah blah" posts...

Technoviking
March 3rd, 2010, 09:39 PM
When is this dropping? I want to play with it! :)

The new GTK themes will do in the next few days in Lucid alpha, the font will not be ready till mid/late March.

T-V

Technoviking
March 3rd, 2010, 09:40 PM

We will be look at that over the next few weeks.

T-V

NightwishFan
March 3rd, 2010, 09:40 PM
Wow, this looks epic. I knew they had something up their sleeve this time around.

TheLastDodo
March 3rd, 2010, 09:42 PM
Oh boy, brace yourselves for the avalanche of "how can they say it's lightware if it includes X, Y and Z by default blah blah blah" posts...

Well, it's a valid point, wouldn't you say? Open Office can hardly be called light under any circumstances, for example.

magneze
March 3rd, 2010, 09:43 PM
Looks great!:D

Keyper7
March 3rd, 2010, 09:43 PM
I can't help but think that the combination of colors, the top panel and the overall window look have a certain.... familiar... feeling to them.

Don't get me wrong, I think the new theme is beautiful. But it did scream "Leopard" to me at first sight.

Technoviking
March 3rd, 2010, 09:46 PM
The name of the "purple" tone is aubergine.

Tristam Green
March 3rd, 2010, 09:46 PM
The name of the "purple" tone is aubergine.

"eggplant"? really? forgive my laughter, but LOL.

Nickedynick
March 3rd, 2010, 09:48 PM
Just realised - there's no lower panel in these screenshots. Are we losing that for something else?

Madspyman
March 3rd, 2010, 09:49 PM
I can't help but think that the combination of colors, the top panel and the overall window look have a certain.... familiar... feeling to them.

Don't get me wrong, I think the new theme is beautiful. But it did scream "Leopard" to me at first sight.

Agreed, for me it's mostly the placement of the window buttons, and the eerily similar Gnome panel icons.

IkeLewis
March 3rd, 2010, 09:50 PM
OK, I have to say, the boot loader in 9.10 did not really excite me at all. But I love the boot loader for 10.04. It is really awesome.

Great work guys...

Keyper7
March 3rd, 2010, 09:50 PM
Well, it's a valid point, wouldn't you say? Open Office can hardly be called light under any circumstances, for example.

Focusing on specific software is missing the point. The idea is that in Ubuntu you won't find things like "Norton 30-day trial" or "HP Help and Support".

And my main point was that we are sure to see posts like nowadays we things in the line of "Ubuntu claims it's for humans but I am a human and my installation is buggy SO THEY aRE LYING AND ShOULD CHANGE THE SLOGAN BECAUSE OTHERWISE IT'S JUST FALSE MARKETING LIKE EVIL MS DOES!!!!!".

Now we will see "MY MINIMAL INSTALL WITH LXDE AND XTERM IS MUCH MORE LIGHTWEIGHT SO CANONICAL IS BLATANTLY LYING!!!!111!!! WAAAAHHH!"

A lot of people simply can't see the difference between "trying to be as X as possible inside reasonable limits of pragmatism and acessibility" and "trying to be as X as possible regardless of any circunstance and consequence".

IkeLewis
March 3rd, 2010, 09:54 PM
Just realised - there's no lower panel in these screenshots. Are we losing that for something else?
I currently don't use the lower panel. It adds some more room to my desktop, and I think it looks a little more simplistic.

IkeLewis
March 3rd, 2010, 09:55 PM
Focusing on specific software is missing the point. The idea is that in Ubuntu you won't find things like "Norton 30-day trial" or "HP Help and Support".

And my main point was that we are sure to see posts like nowadays we things in the line of "Ubuntu claims it's for humans but I am a human and my installation is buggy SO THEY aRE LYING AND ShOULD CHANGE THE SLOGAN BECAUSE OTHERWISE IT'S JUST FALSE MARKETING LIKE EVIL Ms DOES!!!!!".

Now we will see "MY MINIMAL INSTALL WITH LXDE AND XTERM IS MUCH MORE LIGHTWEIGHT SO CANONICAL IS BLATANTLY LYING!!!!111!!! WAAAAHHH!"
Very funny, and true...

Penguin Guy
March 3rd, 2010, 09:56 PM
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Brand?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=blackeubuntulogo.png
Looks great, although personally I'd prefer just "ubuntu", without the CoF.

Shpongle
March 3rd, 2010, 09:57 PM
i noticed this too maybe its hidden ?

Yes
March 3rd, 2010, 09:57 PM

Just because an OS doesn't come with bloatware doesn't automatically make it light.

IMO, I wouldn't consider Ubuntu "light" software. If this rebranding leads to a lighter OS then fine, but currently it's not light.

Madspyman
March 3rd, 2010, 09:58 PM
I currently don't use the lower panel. It adds some more room to my desktop, and I think it looks a little more simplistic.

Agreed the lower panel was a real pain in the oss, it's the first thing to go after a fresh install, glad it's no longer a default.

Nickedynick
March 3rd, 2010, 09:58 PM

No, me neither - the first thing I do is remove it and install Gnome Do or Docky. That lower panel has always made Ubuntu's default look like a 90s OS for some reason. Maybe it's because of my memories of Win95, etc.

Post Monkeh
March 3rd, 2010, 10:03 PM
i prefer the old logo, but everything else is nice

Tristam Green
March 3rd, 2010, 10:03 PM
No, me neither - the first thing I do is remove it and install Gnome Do or Docky. That lower panel has always made Ubuntu's default look like a 90s OS for some reason. Maybe it's because of my memories of Win95, etc.

It reminds me of what the DE is supposed to be. GNOME.

Keyper7
March 3rd, 2010, 10:04 PM
Just because an OS doesn't come with bloatware doesn't automatically make it light.

IMO, I wouldn't consider Ubuntu "light" software. If this rebranding leads to a lighter OS then fine, but currently it's not light.

You said it well: in your opinion. The problem is that "light" is a subjective term and does not have a formal, scientific definition set in stone.

Policing Canonical to make sure they contradict their own definition is more important than arguing about the definition itself.

"But, but... then you are saying that 'light' is a vague term and not a well-defined technical assurance of anything!"

Yes. This is called "marketing". For those who didn't know, welcome to the real world.

PS: the last part is not directed specifically at you, Yes.

frankbooth
March 3rd, 2010, 10:05 PM
amazing!

IkeLewis
March 3rd, 2010, 10:08 PM
You said it well: in your opinion. The problem is that "light" is a subjective term and does not have a formal, scientific definition set in stone.
Well, with Karmic booting up and starting a browser in 40 sec: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88aal60AqBs, I would say it is relatively light and agile...

ikt
March 3rd, 2010, 10:11 PM
Not a huge fan of the metacity theme, however everything else looks amazing!

Good job all!

Technoviking
March 3rd, 2010, 10:33 PM
"eggplant"? really? forgive my laughter, but LOL.

Eggplant, it is good for the body, good for the bones.

T-V

golusweet
March 3rd, 2010, 10:39 PM
Will humanity icons be replaced with new ones? :p

Nice new look.

Yes
March 3rd, 2010, 10:48 PM
Well, with Karmic booting up and starting a browser in 40 sec: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88aal60AqBs, I would say it is relatively light and agile...

But it takes 10 minutes on my <insert old computer>. Therefore it's heavy and bloated!

Boot times are irrelevant and aren't a good indication on how light software is.

And I still disagree that Ubuntu is light. That doesn't have to be a bad thing mind you, just as long as it isn't huge and bloated (which it isn't). If Ubuntu is still supposed to be targeting new Linux users, I'd even argue that you wouldn't want it to be a light distro. A light distro sacrifices newb-friendliness for lightness, which goes against the point of Ubuntu.

IkeLewis
March 3rd, 2010, 10:52 PM
But it takes 10 minutes on my <insert old computer>. Therefore it's heavy and bloated!

Boot times are irrelevant and aren't a good indication on how light software is.

And I still disagree that Ubuntu is light. That doesn't have to be a bad thing mind you, just as long as it isn't huge and bloated (which it isn't). If Ubuntu is still supposed to be targeting new Linux users, I'd even argue that you wouldn't want it to be a light distro. A light distro sacrifices newb-friendliness for lightness, which goes against the point of Ubuntu.
Very true... and I would agree with you on the "lightness" aspect, but maybe not being bloated does help the responsiveness etc... I don't know, In my experience it has done fine even with good old 8.04 on my ancient machines.

katie-xx
March 3rd, 2010, 11:02 PM
Guess Ill have to wait for server load to diminish. I cant get to the wiki to see it.

Kate

SomeGuyDude
March 3rd, 2010, 11:05 PM
Much better than Human. Much.

SomeGuyDude
March 3rd, 2010, 11:06 PM
Very true... and I would agree with you on the "lightness" aspect, but maybe not being bloated does help the responsiveness etc... I don't know, In my experience it has done fine even with good old 8.04 on my ancient machines.

Bloat is subjective. It just means "does this have stuff I don't want". If you want everything a given OS comes packaged with, then it ain't bloated.

To some, Ubuntu is light, to others it's heavy. All depends on what ya want. Hell, there are users who say anything that uses X is too heavy!

IkeLewis
March 3rd, 2010, 11:16 PM
Bloat is subjective. It just means "does this have stuff I don't want". If you want everything a given OS comes packaged with, then it ain't bloated.

To some, Ubuntu is light, to others it's heavy. All depends on what ya want. Hell, there are users who say anything that uses X is too heavy!
Good point...

t.rei
March 3rd, 2010, 11:18 PM
Looks good.

Now if the suspend and the video will get to "working properly" we can call it a system. (Currently nvidia and generic kernel wont work, and the pae kernel wont work with plymouth... *sigh*) Also Suspend/Resume stable would be a blast to get back. ;)

But the rebranding shure looks nice.

DownTown22
March 3rd, 2010, 11:20 PM
I think the whole team behind this deserves a big Thank You!

This new artwork, font, etc makes things look more professional.

I'm really liking how artwork for various things (in general, not just Ubuntu) is becoming more simple. Makes everything look..elegant. We don't need icons, artwork, logos, etc that look busy and with too many colours (that's right..it has a 'u').

DownTown22
March 3rd, 2010, 11:27 PM
Am I correct in assuming that we'll see website changes across the board when 10.04 comes out as well? (Ubuntu, Ubuntu Wiki, Ubuntu Forums,etc)

Regenweald
March 3rd, 2010, 11:34 PM
Wow, this looks epic. I knew they had something up their sleeve this time around.

When the SABDFL said he was going to take a more hands-on approach to the desktop, I expected great things, but the new look is gorgeous. The 10.10 cycle is going to be really fun :)

londonali1010
March 3rd, 2010, 11:40 PM
Guess Ill have to wait for server load to diminish. I cant get to the wiki to see it.

Kate

I grabbed a couple screenies from the wiki and posted them on my blog, if you can't wait :) </offtopic>

HomoGleek
March 3rd, 2010, 11:58 PM
The new system theme(s) is/are absolutely horrible! The change over from right-side window controls to left side was completely unneccessary and goes against everything I've ever learned about HCI......
stop being such mac fans (optionally, you can replace the word "fans" with a word meaning "cigarettes" in British English).

I think overall the new light concept is liked, over human anyway. Have to agree about the window controls.

Now now, you had a nice argument to put forward and then you ruined it

Giant Speck
March 4th, 2010, 12:04 AM
I love the new logo. It's much more professional looking than the previous logo.

However, the new default theme leaves much to be desired. To me, it looks like a haphazard combination of Shiki, Human, and New Wave with window controls that are too reminiscent of OS X for comfort.

It's plainly obvious that Ubuntu's default theme still relies on the Murrine GTK+ engine; however, from the looks of it, Canonical's art team (if such a thing actually exists) has yet to realize Murrine's full potential. The only redeeming thing I can find about the new theme is that it shows they have finally figured out that blending the window border with the menubar actually looks good -- something that has been apart of many popular themes (Shiki, New Wave, and Murrine Glow, just to name a few) for almost two years now.

ulftomas
March 4th, 2010, 12:06 AM
Also, the purple tooltips will look horribly out of place once the wallpaper has changed - as no other elements that I can see in the screenshots are using that color.
I totally agree with you about this and I certainly hope that this will be highly customizable. Freaky colors like purple (and brown for that part) is not a very good idea when creating designs to attract the masses.

However, this is still probably one of the best days in the life of Ubuntu. This is a giant step towards a more human friendly environment.

Kai69
March 4th, 2010, 12:07 AM
Very nice!!
Darn it now I have to get a new mug and T shirt :tongue:

chillicampari
March 4th, 2010, 12:08 AM
Edit- looked more at the theme, I think it looks nice, but on the graphics this:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Brand?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=spreadubuntulogo.png

still comes off a little weird to me.

(http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8912346&postcount=31)

Madspyman
March 4th, 2010, 12:12 AM
It's really does seem like an OSX rip off, the panel icons are exact duplicates and the fact that the window icons are on the left screams Mac.

It seems most of the community is for it and has been for some time, there is oodles of tutorials, and gnome themes out there everybody's always trying to make Linux look like Mac.

I'd really rather Ubuntu users not support this mentality, I'd hate to have people think I use Ubuntu because I'm some Mac fan boy. And I'd rather not recommend an OS to my friends that rips Mac off.

Why is is so hard for users to be proud of Ubuntu for being a Linux distribution.

Ubuntu supports it's new OSX image and has chosen to tell that to the world.

As bothered as I am by it, it still looks way better than the Human theme.

DownTown22
March 4th, 2010, 12:26 AM
I'm here; what do you want to talk about? ;)

Also, criticism ≠ whining.

Nothing really...I just enjoy stirring the pot.

True, criticism doesn't always equal whining, but there's enough of it.

DubyBreaks
March 4th, 2010, 01:04 AM
=D> I have to say I do love the new branding and the new themes MUCH better than the old ones. The new Branding gives Ubuntu a much needed "professional" polished look. The screenshot with the acer PC running lucid is sexy. With that being said:

Pros
- New boot screen is simply awesome, this was an eye sore in karmic.
- LOVE the new font
- Buttons on the left. (I always move them there anyways, and for those that claim that resembles OSX too much.....having them on the right resembles Windows too much for me, and besides it just "feels" more natural having button on the left. Besides you can change them in the config. editor if needed be. I do feel the close button should be first in line though. IMHO)
- The lighter of the two themes is Very nice, at least almost "keepable" as a default
- Purple background is ALOT more pleasing to the eye than the browrange of karmic. (even if it does resemble OSX a little, besides how many of us actually keep the background Image the same?)
- No lower panel by default?.....TYVM

Cons
- Not HUGE fan of the new circle of friends logo. It's not bad at all, just don't think it is as nice as the old one.
- Darker of the two themes is not very sexy, I'm not a fan of the dull black/grey look. (shine it up)
- Humanity Icons look WAY out of place IMHO, they need a new icon set.

Over all i think this is much needed overhaul of the ubuntu brand. I congratulate all the artist involved in the redesign, all the juice was worth the squeeze here. Now for a new icon set.........please. =D>

Mark76
March 4th, 2010, 01:25 AM
Where does the tasklist go?

jrothwell97
March 4th, 2010, 01:40 AM
It's an improvement, yes.

However, I can immediately see a major usability flaw with the window decorations - and it's not due to the buttons being on the left.

See, in every other OS (including Ubuntu in the past) when you wanted to close the window, it involved clicking once in the corner. In this case, that slot is occupied by the "maximise" button, with the "close" button the innermost of the 3.

So when you go to close a window, you end up accidentally maximising it. Not good. The corner of the window is a better target.

Aside from that, everything looks to be good: bits of it look a touch too hi-vis-jacket orange to me, and I'd definitely rather the close button only lit up on mouseover, but this should look brilliant when combined with Lucid's other UI improvements.

I like the new title font, too.

edit:

I may be wrong, but in Lucid the clock (and by extension the calendar/tasklist) lives in the bottom panel by default, and only tells the time unless you tell it otherwise.

koleoptero
March 4th, 2010, 01:40 AM

At the bottom panel that everyone assumes will be gone?

zeroseven0183
March 4th, 2010, 01:57 AM
Now this rebranding, new design and concept is going to be controversial.
And I think that's a good thing!

I hope to see also a redesign of the Forums.

mosshorn
March 4th, 2010, 02:52 AM
Love the splash screen, would like to see it changeable to brown/black though :P The GTK themes......eh. Overall I like it a lot, I just don't want my OS to come as a mac clone default :P

jrusso2
March 4th, 2010, 02:56 AM
Looks better but not something that requires an art dept.

It looks a lot like what I run already which I did with colors and wall paper.

Anyways they do seem to like OS X a lot.

Regenweald
March 4th, 2010, 03:11 AM
OSX looks good, so does Aero. On it's way to looking great Ubuntu might pull some ideas.... What can a design team really be expected to revolutionize in the few square inches used by the menu/side bar and the panel ???

DeadSuperHero
March 4th, 2010, 03:12 AM
I, for one, think this looks absolutely fantastic.

When can we expect to see it all implemented by?

Regenweald
March 4th, 2010, 03:16 AM
I, for one, think this looks absolutely fantastic.

When can we expect to see it all implemented by?

On my last update ( tonight) it seems that the default artwork was held back. Whiprush has said over in testing and discussion that it should hit within the next few days. Colour me excited.

Merk42
March 4th, 2010, 03:43 AM
I may be wrong, but in Lucid the clock (and by extension the calendar/tasklist) lives in the bottom panel by default, and only tells the time unless you tell it otherwise.

You are.
The items in the bottom panel on a default install are:
Show Desktop | Window List | Workspace Switcher | Trash

armageddon08
March 4th, 2010, 04:01 AM
Now that's a default theme I'm gonna like......for everything else....WOW!!!

Sam
March 4th, 2010, 04:04 AM
Nice screenies. Two thoughts: The window control buttons are on the wrong order. The close button must be on the corner in order to gain Fitts' law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitts%27s_law) effect.
Where is the bottom panel?

zeroseven0183
March 4th, 2010, 04:23 AM
Nice screenies. Two thoughts:

The window control buttons are on the wrong order. The close button must be on the corner in order to gain Fitts' law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitts%27s_law) effect.
Where is the bottom panel?

That's a good point. I didn't noticed that, actually... How stupid of me.
I still prefer the window control buttons to be on the right side.

The bottom panel? The screenshot is cropped, I think. You can't see the windows list on the top panel.

Sam
March 4th, 2010, 04:46 AM
The bottom panel? The screenshot is cropped, I think. You can't see the windows list on the top panel.
I wouldn't have missed the opportunity to show the new trash icon again there, which is, by the way, really cute. Maybe they haven't yet designed the "show desktop" icon?

But I believe you're right.

mrdiego
March 4th, 2010, 04:54 AM
< snip >

- Humanity Icons look WAY out of place IMHO, they need a new icon set.

Over all i think this is much needed overhaul of the ubuntu brand. I congratulate all the artist involved in the redesign, all the juice was worth the squeeze here. Now for a new icon set.........please. =D>

:D LOL ... good joke. You ever did a Icon - in all sizes (48, 32, 24, 22, 16) and in a .SVG? Hey and it must look awesome, too! NO? ... Try it. You know how much Icons you need for a complete Set? I don't know exactly, but I thing with 200 you're fine; more is better. How they should look like that everybody is happy with them and we never have to hear: "Common the Icons looks out of place"? But we can pay a expensive team of 20 talented persons and in one year we have them finished ... for sure. Already with the same wish? Critics and wishing are easy stuffs, but the work behind all, nobody appreciate. The same goes for example to the develop of the murrine-engine + the Gtk-theme who uses all futures of it and the look we can throw on it in the end. Of course, the most of the designers and developers don't get paid for their work... they spend their free time for our all happiness. Be care with light sounding wishes ... ;)

mrdiego
March 4th, 2010, 04:59 AM
I wouldn't have missed the opportunity to show the new trash icon again there, which is, by the way, really cute. Maybe they haven't yet designed the "show desktop" icon?

But I believe you're right.

It's all finished.
https://code.launchpad.net/humanity
... but the version what comes in Lucid will come soon - we have to wait some days more. The only change of that existing theme now are the new panel-icons in monochrome. ;)

WinterMadness
March 4th, 2010, 05:10 AM
thats nice lookin

Luke has no name
March 4th, 2010, 05:34 AM
I'm all about the new colors and logo font. I also like the idea of combining the top and bottom bar ( see the screen of my desktop; get the annoying "custom" menu bar and get areal control panel). I'm also about rebranding Ubuntu from the near-universally loathed Human theme.

But why the HELL would you move the window control icons to the left? What motivated that? What studies and focus groups were conducted to say that we should go against twenty-plus years of tradition just to migrate the buttons over, and not even go the 'full clone' and place the buttons in some familiar order? Sigh. I am disappoint.

As long as there is a geeky way to FIX this MISTAKE, I'm cool. I'm sure I'll get used to it either way, but damn, this is silly.

DubyBreaks
March 4th, 2010, 05:53 AM
:D LOL ... good joke. You ever did a Icon - in all sizes (48, 32, 24, 22, 16) and in a .SVG? Hey and it must look awesome, too! NO? ... Try it. You know how much Icons you need for a complete Set? I don't know exactly, but I thing with 200 you're fine; more is better. How they should look like that everybody is happy with them and we never have to hear: "Common the Icons looks out of place"? But we can pay a expensive team of 20 talented persons and in one year we have them finished ... for sure. Already with the same wish? Critics and wishing are easy stuffs, but the work behind all, nobody appreciate. The same goes for example to the develop of the murrine-engine + the Gtk-theme who uses all futures of it and the look we can throw on it in the end. Of course, the most of the designers and developers don't get paid for their work... they spend their free time for our all happiness. Be care with light sounding wishes ... ;)

Actually I have created AN Icon before, and no, not in .SVG. And I agree it is a massive task to take on, which would take more resources than ideal when there are other more vital tasks to tackle and better places to allocate money......With that being said, I LIKE the humanity icon set, I just said I think it looks out of place IMHO with these themes (a point of view for people to consider, or not). And your insinuation that I don't understand or appreciate the hard work involved in this, the number of icons it would take, and the personal time these great folks put into ubuntu for our enjoyment is uncalled for, it was a wish, like upon a star......but nice of you to throw blows at my opinion rather than make a valid comment on the themes.......once again congratulations to the design team for the excellent work. =D>

DeadSuperHero
March 4th, 2010, 06:02 AM
So is Kubuntu getting any love out of this?

NightwishFan
March 4th, 2010, 06:07 AM
I should hope so, it has so much potential with just a little polish and some more attention.

tank.null
March 4th, 2010, 06:12 AM
i think the tasklist is necessary for switching task without alt-tab.
and it is suitable to stay on bottom panel.

NightwishFan
March 4th, 2010, 06:20 AM
I normally use a single panel on top. When so many Windows open the task list shrinks into a bunch of logos, which is still easy to navigate. The two panel look is still the default for new users on my machine though.

Luke has no name
March 4th, 2010, 06:30 AM
i think the tasklist is necessary for switching task without alt-tab.
and it is suitable to stay on bottom panel.

A tasklist of some sort is absolutely necessary, whether it be through the (inferior) Mac-dock style, the (better) Windows 7 interface, which is a child of Mac and traditional taskbars, or the traditional tasklist like Ubuntu has now.

It would be insane beyond belief not to have some sort of taskbar.

Especially to spring these design changes out of the blue, and right before the LTS. The logo/brand change, perhaps... but fundamental forms of HCI? Silly.

pelle.k
March 4th, 2010, 06:50 AM
MOAR POLISH NEEDED!

The GTK theme looks washed out. And a bit chaotic.
I can't say i like the yellow tint of the "light" theme. And the metacity looks cheap.
That said, i don't think it looks like OS X at all. In fact, i would prefer it did.

Good work with the logo, font, and bootsplash though. And finally the monochrome icons look allright. I hope they can figure out how to replace those monochrome icons without changing the actual APPLICATION icons.

arnab_das
March 4th, 2010, 07:41 AM
love it love it love it!

a platonic kiss to mark shuttleworth :P

Isaac_x
March 4th, 2010, 07:43 AM
The new logo looks good, a little too sharp for my tastes, but a great improvement over the old logo.

I don't like the cream-brown-orange theme, or the cream-black-orange theme either; it makes everything look dirty, old, and worn. I'd like to see it in gray and blue.

Madspyman
March 4th, 2010, 07:47 AM
They panel icons need to scream Ubuntu instead of an OSX. I don't want to upgrade to a bootleg OS.

phillychease
March 4th, 2010, 07:49 AM
i loveeeeeee it

Isaac_x
March 4th, 2010, 07:50 AM
They panel icons need to scream Ubuntu instead of an OSX. I don't want to upgrade to a bootleg OS.

If it's not broken, don't fix it. The less visual noise, the better. Otherwise, you get the Windows taskbar icons that constantly distract you.

Madspyman
March 4th, 2010, 07:59 AM
If it's not broken, don't fix it. The less visual noise, the better. Otherwise, you get the Windows taskbar icons that constantly distract you.

I think the Karmic set of panel icons are perfect.

Khakilang
March 4th, 2010, 08:12 AM
I like it. Its cool. Nice work. Can wait to try it.

M1ke
March 4th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Looks beautiful! I'll admit I don't like the window controls on the left either, but that's a small (and presumably easily tweaked!) thing.

Love the new look!

Duncan J Murray
March 4th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Looks good, although I'm with a lot of people here that controls should remain on the right, or else I'm going to be forever getting confused...

I don't want the interface to look like Mac OS X's - I like the clean, plain and simple gnome looks on Karmic, and hope that they build on that. I particularly like the 'flatness' of Jaunty and Karmic.

Duncan.

ElSlunko
March 4th, 2010, 12:30 PM
I think the buttons should be to the right too. Way too cluttered to the left since most content starts at the left and moves right.

armageddon08
March 4th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Why do all OSes use Sans as the default font?

RedNight
March 4th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Awesome work!

I really like the new ubuntu's brand.:D

However, I think that close and minimize buttons should stay on the right side of the window.:-?

That red close button looks awful. A grey one should be better.;)

Finally, we need a new icon set to fully fit with the new brand!:P

Keep working like that!8-)

Alfred_Jodocus
March 4th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Absolutely shocked by how anyone can suddenly put the windows icons on the left.

Form follows function, usability should come first; 'looking good' or creative design issues should be much lower on the list.

Sounds to me like change for change's sake. I don't like it, especially when it so greatly interferes with decades of ingrained habits. Sure, it´s good to change old habits - when there's a need and the new 'thing' is a substantial improvement.

If not, you're just annoying your users. I expect it will also be a (small) extra hurdle for people who switch from Windows and find, on top of the many other things that are different (and usually better - but 'different' is bad, in that it requires development of new habits and a learning curve, i.e. takes time and effort. Let's face it, for most 'normal' users, an OS is a tool, not a toy or a goal in itself).

Form follows function; if it ain't broken don't fix it.

I honestly don't understand how someone could knowingly make such a strange change.

Would be a bit like an automotive manufacturer's design team coming up with the great new idea of changing the order of the foot pedals - brake on the left, clutch on the right and accelerator in the middle. Sure - you *can* do that - but you'd better have *very* good reasons to do so, as it forces your users to develop new habits. That's not bad, as long as it is a real improvement. But if it's just change for change's sakee.... then you'll end up with a lot of annoyed users.

And yes, I know that you will probably be able to put the icons back in the top-right with a bit of tinkering - but how many regular users will actually have the knowledge and skills to do that?

I liked the old logo and look and feel, but understand some people like to see change and 'improvements'. It's what marketing is all about, and I don't have much problem with that. It's just words, images and looks - it's on the surface, nothing essential changes. But the position of the most crucial windows controls... OMG. Who actually *thought* of that, and who allowed those changes to be made ?!

Peter.

leandromartinez98
March 4th, 2010, 01:36 PM
I'm willing to see how OpenOffice applications and firefox look with the new theme. That's what we look at all the time.

I like the new theme, but it is nothing revolutionary, and it got a lot from the Macs. Even the purple background...

armageddon08
March 4th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Now that they have moved from the human theme to a light theme, shouldn't there be a change in the icon theme?

gradinaruvasile
March 4th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Overall it looks good, but i dont like either its Mac likeness and im am baffled by the left side window icons (i found them very un-ergonomical and weird).

I say some more creativity is required to make something truly original. This is Linux, not Mac and make it stand out with some original theme, not monkeying Mac.

the yawner
March 4th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Design-wise, I agree with the others over the placement of the window control buttons on the left.

My post on the other thread:

I'm not so sure about the GTK/Metacity theme. Unlike OSX, we have our menu bar inside the window, also on the left side of the screen. Combined with the placement of the Metacity control buttons on the same area, it makes that side of the window very busy. It takes away the balance in visual weights.

The close button for the active window is a little out of place. It's a bit glossy(?) compared to the other elements.

And maybe it's the shadows and gradients, I'm not sure, but I find the overall tangibility of the windows inconsistent. *shrugs*

Save for these reservations, I find this news a step on the positive. The web themes. The new font. The logo. Yes!

fatality_uk
March 4th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Would love to include simple icon set
http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Simple?content=99470

Wiebelhaus
March 4th, 2010, 02:43 PM
I'm really excited about where this is going and the prospect of a light weight Ubuntu interface is exactly what Ubuntu needs , good call and cheers.

HomoGleek
March 4th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Looks like someone has listened =)

http://gkurl.us/omgyay

richs-lxh
March 4th, 2010, 02:56 PM

T-V

Hmmm. When that happens i'll be avoiding the forums. If you are a veteran UF member of more than 4 years, you will know what I mean.

That old "You can please some of the people most of the time........" quote comes to mind.

As it happens, I think the new Font is excellent and the new logos and colour schemes as well. Rebranding is always a brave move, but this looks like it's going to be a huge success for Ubuntu.

I think the new style will really refresh the forum.

Well done!

ssj6akshat
March 4th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Looks like Lucid's gonna rock.i(Pod/Phone)Support,Music Store,Social Networking and now this.wohohohohohohoho

Rasa1111
March 4th, 2010, 04:24 PM
absolutely beautiful!
thanks soo much!!

very well done. :)
Praises Ubuntu. <3

iswan
March 4th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Don't like the theme.... :( Hope something better...

Perfect Storm
March 4th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Really nice rebrand :KS

texpat
March 4th, 2010, 06:05 PM
GOOD job, guys. Very clean. Business-y, too. Should go down well with corporate folk. Congratulations!

J_Stanton
March 4th, 2010, 06:12 PM
But it takes 10 minutes on my <insert old computer>. Therefore it's heavy and bloated! mine boots in 15 seconds, therefore it is light! but i do like the new theme. purple is cool.

Nickedynick
March 4th, 2010, 06:14 PM
New Plymouth (http://www.youtube.com/v/cbfPaxVdgEY?hl=en_US&fs=1) in action - in a god-awful quality recording :D

Uncle Spellbinder
March 4th, 2010, 06:17 PM
New Plymouth (http://www.youtube.com/v/cbfPaxVdgEY?hl=en_US&fs=1) in action - in a god-awful quality recording :D
Now, if Plymouth would actually run, I (and many others) might actually be able to see that.

Sorry....back on topic.

It does look great, though.

Psumi
March 4th, 2010, 06:38 PM
See my signature as to why I can't use default ubuntu on my thinkpad t41 (Plymouth: Grunge Screen.)

I will not be seeing any of this rebrand stuff until I get a new computer in a long while.

fontis
March 4th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Wow.
I think it's about time that Ubuntu finally makes some drastic changes to its interface. The old human theme was beyond redemption.

And for you super haters - an OS in todays sense is all about the user experience. Design is as such an integrated and vital part in the first impressions of anything. If the OS looks like crap by default, chances are not that many will find it "nice looking" enough to bother with it.

The sad truth is that we are progressing in an environment that is steadily moving towards cloud computing at a faster pace, and with that in mind, having the most unhackable OS with black/white CLI is not really....viable as a choice for providing a nice graphical experience.

I think it's admirable to see Shuttleworth's battle for the desktop, and he is clearly also aware of the fact that GNU/Linux might be superior to it's counterparts security wise, but it sure as hell is lagging behind in experience wise.

Nickedynick
March 4th, 2010, 07:52 PM
The sad truth is that we are progressing in an environment that is steadily moving towards cloud computing at a faster pace, and with that in mind, having the most unhackable OS with black/white CLI is not really....viable as a choice for providing a nice graphical experience.

Surely Linux is the most hackable type of OS around?!

Docaltmed
March 4th, 2010, 08:12 PM
I want my Rebranded Baseball Cap!

That looks great. Good job.

BigSilly
March 4th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Wow! Genuine surprise to see this. Really love it though. Very welcome new look, and very much needed imho.

Loving the plum! :D

1roxtar
March 4th, 2010, 08:27 PM

I installed Ubuntu 9.10 on an old Compaq Presario 5000 series with 256mb RAM and a 500mhz Celeron processor and it boots up in roughly 45 seconds.

I think the rebranding looks sleek and beautiful and much more professional looking. I believe its gonna get some good attention when I install it on my laptop. April seems sooooo far away!!!!

rajeev1204
March 4th, 2010, 08:28 PM

Thats not plymouth, thats your xsplash loading .

ZarathustraDK
March 4th, 2010, 09:34 PM
I'm all over the Professor Plum (that's Cluedo-reference to purple ;) ).

Ok, one thing at a time:

Branding/logo
Love it, it's sharp and pro, and has an odd rhytm to it with all those u's. The circle of friends is acceptable as long as it doesn't mingle with the rest of the theme, the colors would be at odds.

Colors
Purple and dark/light = love it! I see a bit discontent with the yellow human icons, but people should be aware that it's not the icons that are out of place, it's the white background of the window, which is supposed to be purple if you want the colors to play nice.
http://seanmarcellus.com/web-design/images/colorwheel_browsersafe.gif
"Color-slices" opposite of each other in the wheel are comfortable to look at together, purple and yellow do this.

Which leads to the question: what to do about the awkward-looking yellow on white on purple? One solution would be to change the color of icons into purple, purple-white-purple is agreeable, but then the icons would get lost on the desktop. Another would be to change the default backround color of the windows, which is quite a bold move, but it could be pulled off as long as it is kept consistent throughout the OS (yellow text on purple background has great readability), perhaps use some pastelle-versions of the basecolors (like the 7's in the wheel above).

It's a bit of a predicament, and it's probably why people generally like blue-themes, blue and white = sky (bliss in XP for instance). Question is: do we think that way because Windows taught us to like that color-combo, or is there a color-theory reason to it?

Theme
Somebody thought different :)
This will be quite interesting. I'm sure the Mac-community will bitch and moan about this for a long time, but hey, if it works then it works. Good decision to do away with the bottom taskbar, though it could have been either one for all I care.

Get that "close window"-button in its right place though.
Mom:"Hey Peter, what are you doing?"
Peter:"Nothing mom..." (accidentally maximizes donkey-porn instead of closing it)
Mom:"PETER!"

Not much else to say about the theme. I already use Shiki and Dust so this is right down my alley ^^

Grats to the art-team, this is a huge leap forward. But that purple-yellow-white thing needs to be sorted. Loved the warmth of Human, but it is time to move on.

Sidenote on the "Light-branding" thing
Don't axe awesome applications just because there are lighter ones out there! Gimp getting axed in favor of F-spot is simply stupid, it's like axing Photoshop in favor of Paint on Windows. Gimp has more "value" as an image-editor plain and simple. It's be like replacing the OpenOffice-suite with Abiword.

MaxIBoy
March 4th, 2010, 09:57 PM
I always liked the brown (especially the carmel colors in Hardy,) but in any case the default theme is really quite unimportant. It's so easy to change, you might as well make it pink on green for all I care. Can't believe you people have filled up so many pages talking about it.

MichealH
March 4th, 2010, 10:34 PM
If you see the page/link you will see the brand new logos I wonder how he forum will have to change to fit that logo. When we get the new logo will we be upgraded to vBulletin4?

brainkilla
March 4th, 2010, 10:39 PM
Now that they have moved from the human theme to a light theme, shouldn't there be a change in the icon theme?

I'd like to see these included, I think they would fit with new themes very well http://jimmac.musichall.cz/log/
Oh, and put them window buttons back to the right-hand side...

Psumi
March 5th, 2010, 01:00 AM
If you see the page/link you will see the brand new logos I wonder how he forum will have to change to fit that logo. When we get the new logo will we be upgraded to vBulletin4?

I would hate ANYONE to upgrade to that forum version.

Isaac_x
March 5th, 2010, 03:10 AM
http://seanmarcellus.com/web-design/images/colorwheel_browsersafe.gif
"Color-slices" opposite of each other in the wheel are comfortable to look at together, purple and yellow do this.

Does anyone wear a red-green suit, other than during Christmas when they want loud colors? Yellow-purple? Blue-orange? These combinations are "loud", the high contrast makes them hard to look at for long periods of time.

People will be exposed to the desktop for long periods of time, it's best to use neutral and unsaturated colors that won't agitate or overstimulate the eye.

A desktop should limit its color choices to subdued hues. Red, orange, and yellow are too distracting to be prominent, they should be used sparsely.

parameter
March 5th, 2010, 04:15 AM
I don't see anything in the branding announcement about the sound theme. The sound theme needs to be updated to match.

Technoviking
March 5th, 2010, 04:16 AM

vBulletin4 upgrade is in the works, not ETA for it.

T-V

DeadSuperHero
March 5th, 2010, 04:36 AM
Just got the new themes in an update. Everything looks really spiffy. I love it.

It's going to look awesome once everything totally comes together. Can't wait for the U1 Music Store.

rabidbadger
March 5th, 2010, 11:17 AM
I don't see anything in the branding announcement about the sound theme. The sound theme needs to be updated to match.

I believe that they're sticking with the usual inspiration (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4%E2%80%B233%E2%80%B3) for a PulseAudio rendered sound theme.

phate408
March 5th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Icons on the left are disappointing. At least they have the right order (the order I'm used to and prefer).

I've always thought the default theme for Ubuntu is strong, and while this looks like a move in a good direction, I just don't think it's needed as much as it's claimed :P

Regardless, this will look much better "out of the box" than the standard Gnome themes. The traditional blue and white makes me think early '00s.

Mark76
March 5th, 2010, 12:07 PM
I believe that they're sticking with the usual inspiration (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4%E2%80%B233%E2%80%B3) for a PulseAudio rendered sound theme.

Ha ha ha :lol:

Nickedynick
March 5th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Icons on the left are disappointing. At least they have the right order (the order I'm used to and prefer).

The icons aren't on the left in the theme - screenshots you've seen like that have been customised.

Techsnap
March 5th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Since it was pulled down with the latest update I wrote a little review about it with my opionion about the Icon colours:

http://techsnap.co.uk/blog/ubuntu-10-04-new-theme

kio_http
March 5th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Lately there has been a neglect of Kubuntu. Its not like it used to be during the time of Kubuntu Hoary; there was more effort put in. I don't see any such refinements being done.

This article proves the neglect. New revolutionary stuff for Ubuntu and even Xubuntu but not Kubuntu.

Its not that the neglect hasn't been noticed at all even by Kubuntu contributers/members. Refer to this document (http://people.ubuntu.com/~apachelogger/Timelord/Project_Timelord_Announcement.pdf).

mickie.kext
March 5th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Since it was pulled down with the latest update I wrote a little review about it with my opionion about the Icon colours:

http://techsnap.co.uk/blog/ubuntu-10-04-new-theme

I stopped reading after first few lines from obvious reasons.

Techsnap
March 5th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Actually I praised it and then offered a suggestion. It's not against Ubuntu.

Nickedynick
March 5th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Grey icons would look worse. At least the Humanity set is close-ish to the orange used in the new branding.

Techsnap
March 5th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Grey icons would look worse. At least the Humanity set is close-ish to the orange used in the new branding.

I get where you're coming from, I'm not particularly sure that the shade of orange on the icons at the moment works though. I just wonder if they'll change it, we'll find out soon if they will I guess.

Giant Speck
March 5th, 2010, 03:31 PM
I stopped reading after first few lines from obvious reasons.

So today I upgraded my Ubuntu 10.04 VM, as most of you will probably already know, I’m not a Ubuntu fan but I keep a VM of the latest dev version installed because I like to look at what they’re up to for the simple fact that it seems to be the most popular beginner distro. However I updated it today and the new themes were installed so I enabled them.

Either I'm stupid, or I don't see what's so obvious that you had to stop reading.

Islington
March 5th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Either I'm stupid, or I don't see what's so obvious that you had to stop reading.

on any blog or opinion piece you stop reading after the first line you disagree with. :p

Giant Speck
March 5th, 2010, 03:41 PM
on any blog or opinion piece you stop reading after the first line you disagree with. :p

I'm guessing it was "I'm not an Ubuntu fan."

Keyper7
March 5th, 2010, 04:11 PM

He's probably more interested in opinions coming from the average Ubuntu user perspective. Even if the blog author does not have anything against Ubuntu either, the difference between a regular everyday user and an alpha testing passerby can be significant.

mickie.kext
March 5th, 2010, 04:28 PM
I'm guessing it was "I'm not an Ubuntu fan."

No, it is not that. It is fact that he keeps Ubuntu around just to know enemy. To know what he bashes and to find new thing to rant about.

When I do not like something, I just try to ignore it and forget about it.

Techsnap
March 5th, 2010, 06:16 PM
To know what he bashes and to find new thing to rant about.

I keep a Ubuntu VM around because I like OS's. Also although I do have that rant stuff I find genuine stuff to rant about with a bit of humour as well as education.

Also for keeping the thread on topic, I'm not sure that the font on the title bars is neat. I think it's too bold.

Twitch6000
March 5th, 2010, 07:42 PM
No, it is not that. It is fact that he keeps Ubuntu around just to know enemy. To know what he bashes and to find new thing to rant about.

When I do not like something, I just try to ignore it and forget about it.

Instead of going hey this could be fixed then possibly getting it out there where it could be fixed.

Shame on you...

I forget who said this but hiding from problems never fixes them.

t.rei
March 5th, 2010, 07:59 PM
* scrollbars ugly and large
* window buttons look crap when maximize button is not available (i.e. dialog windows)
* window buttons look crap when not in 'default order'
* theme does not work well with custom-color-choices (especially the window borders/menubars/toolbars)

Its an ok theme. But not the kind of professional work I would expect to see. Things need to improve and not just get painted in another color!

magneze
March 5th, 2010, 08:17 PM
The latest updates have the min/max/close on the right, which is better.

However, the min and max seem to be the wrong way around?

This window has "Unmaximize, Minimize, Close"!

Sam
March 5th, 2010, 08:19 PM
There is an interesting comment on sabdfl's blog:

Are wallpaper, window decorations and gtk theme final already or is there a chance of further polishing? It’s not about “I don’t like it” but i have read so much constructive criticism about specific elements of the new look (like http://troy-sobotka.blogspot.com/ and others pointed out).

Mark Shuttleworth: We have room and time to tweak, the only thing that’s final is the basic set of concepts.

Link (http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/308#comment-324245)

fatality_uk
March 5th, 2010, 10:25 PM
* scrollbars ugly and large
* window buttons look crap when maximize button is not available (i.e. dialog windows)
* window buttons look crap when not in 'default order'
* theme does not work well with custom-color-choices (especially the window borders/menubars/toolbars)

Its an ok theme. But not the kind of professional work I would expect to see. Things need to improve and not just get painted in another color!

You ARE aware this is an ALPHA release?

Lucid is more than a theme. There a LOT of other important updates that Canonical will place into this release

Madspyman
March 5th, 2010, 10:40 PM
Been testing the new theme buttons started on the right, then jumped to the left, changed them back to the right.

Post Monkeh
March 5th, 2010, 10:43 PM
Been testing the new theme buttons started on the right, then jumped to the left, changed them back to the right.

let's do the timewarp.... oops ignore me.

mickie.kext
March 5th, 2010, 10:53 PM
Instead of going hey this could be fixed then possibly getting it out there where it could be fixed.

Shame on you...

I forget who said this but hiding from problems never fixes them.

What are you trolling about? Why should I try to fix something I do not like? I just use what I like instead and forget I ever used that thing I do not like.

On topic:

Only thing that is crappy with this new style is wallpaper. I wish Ubuntu sticked with brown. It would better match new panel color. But I changed that already.

t.rei
March 5th, 2010, 11:14 PM
You ARE aware this is an ALPHA release?

Lucid is more than a theme. There a LOT of other important updates that Canonical will place into this release

Yes, I am aware of this being an alpha. Thats why I do point out these - for a theme - rather severe flaws. Because if no one mentions them, they wont get communicated and filtered by the community. Thus never having a hope for change.

So: Theme needs fixing: colors need to adjust, buttons need to work in dialogs (no missing maximize or minimize messing it up) and the scrollbars should get redone properly. :)

magneze
March 5th, 2010, 11:26 PM
The latest updates have the min/max/close on the right, which is better.

However, the min and max seem to be the wrong way around?

This window has "Unmaximize, Minimize, Close"!Now I have updated again and they're on the left. LOL, make yer mind up!

I prefer them on the right with the same order as in 9.10. Yes it's boring, but changing them will **** off existing users, users who might otherwise switch from Windows and it'll be accused of being an OSX copy. :popcorn:

Has anyone done any usability testing on the best placement and order of buttons?

magneze
March 5th, 2010, 11:46 PM
Actually OSX also has them in a different order. So changing them to Max/Min/Close will annoy existing users, users from Windows and users from OSX. Worth a rethink - the rest of the theme/rebrand works really well.

Warprunner
March 5th, 2010, 11:49 PM
Fantastic look. Usually I don't like the dark themes (eyes and age) but this one is fantastic!

Madspyman
March 6th, 2010, 12:03 AM
Now I have updated again and they're on the left. LOL, make yer mind up!

I prefer them on the right with the same order as in 9.10. Yes it's boring, but changing them will **** off existing users, users who might otherwise switch from Windows and it'll be accused of being an OSX copy. :popcorn:

Has anyone done any usability testing on the best placement and order of buttons?

I'm really not sure what the official look is anymore, too much confusion and indecision, next thing you know the buttons'll be on both sides, I wouldn't be surprised it's still just an alpha.

Are we for or against the OSX placement of things? Seems to soon to tell.

magneze
March 6th, 2010, 12:08 AM
Well, the order of the icons on the left is also different from OSX. So the current alpha seems to please no-one! I like the style of the icons, but the re-ordering seems random without some empirical evidence behind the change.

Madspyman
March 6th, 2010, 12:46 AM
Seems that no one can decide whether the window buttons should be on the right or the left in Lucid, why not let the user decide.

I know it's already possible to move them by changing the metacity settings in gconf-editor, but thats not something a new to Ubuntu user would be thinking of.

How about being able to back click on the window and choose from a drop-down menu what side to have the icons on.

Also during installation you could have the option of "legacy settings" (right placement) or "light settings" (left placement).

I don't think there's another distro that offers this as a standard option, other than in gconf-editor. Might be kinda cool.

kforum
March 6th, 2010, 02:49 AM
i personally think the buttons on the left are innovative, and more 'logical' than the traditional(on the right) approach. but then again, do we live in a world where 'logic' has any real world meaning... for most people?

so, maybe im the only one liking this

1roxtar
March 6th, 2010, 05:29 AM
I for one love the new look and rebranding of Ubuntu. I can't wait for the final product to come out. In fact, I have mocked up my Karmic laptop to look pretty much "Lucid-y", if you will.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd237/1ROXTAR/KarmicGoneLucid.png

skymera
March 6th, 2010, 04:14 PM
So, this new bootsplash does it work with USplash as well as Plymouth?
From what i know, Nvidia doesn't work with KMS, thus no Plymouth splash.

Oh what's this, i can't install USplash because GDM will be removed ¬_¬

Psumi
March 6th, 2010, 04:28 PM

Yay for integration!

Madspyman
March 6th, 2010, 05:15 PM
So, this new bootsplash does it work with USplash as well as Plymouth?
From what i know, Nvidia doesn't work with KMS, thus no Plymouth splash.

You can't customize your distro without breaking your system? Lucid is becoming like a Mac.

NightwishFan
March 6th, 2010, 10:44 PM
It is in development. Of course stuff is a bit odd for a while. Right now it is probably a moving target.

cariboo
March 7th, 2010, 03:21 AM
If you have questions concerning Lucid, you should ask the in the proper sub-forum located here (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=377).

Alejandro Nova
March 7th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Is there any place when I can download the new "ubuntu" font? I think it looks prettier and could be a 1000x better screen font than DejaVu Sans. In fact, it could look prettier (with minor tweaks) than Segoe UI.

Nickedynick
March 7th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Nope, it's not complete yet. The company who're making it have only finished enough for some branding, and Mr Shuttleworth's said that it likely won't be available for release in Lucid (it's a couple of months from completion). However, when it is done it'll be released under GPL and hopefully will be in 10.10.

linux4life88
March 7th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Will we still have a choice to use the Karmic theme? I know we still have the same humanity icons for the most part but the icons on the gnome panel have changed as well as the title bar on the windows. I really enjoyed the look of the Karmic theme, much better than the new theme. Just my opinion though.

Telecaster72
March 7th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Finally! I Like the new GTK themes, thanks for ditching the brown! Well if you are gonna go brown, make it really dark brown, like espresso.
But putting the window buttons on the left? I dont know what you are smoking at your brainstorming meetings but...gimme some of that stuff!
Seriously, i am not to happy with that, change is only good if it serves a purpose. Overall though, very good job:

scouser73
March 7th, 2010, 09:33 PM
I've just installed Lucid alpha 3, am really loving the rebrand.

tekkidd
March 7th, 2010, 09:37 PM
I like it looks cleaner than the old branding

Dev'olution
March 7th, 2010, 09:41 PM
I just installed Alpha 3, but the visual styles aren't in there yet? :S

HomoGleek
March 7th, 2010, 10:03 PM
I just installed Alpha 3, but the visual styles aren't in there yet? :S
Have you run the update manager?

Dev'olution
March 7th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Have you run the update manager?

I feel... so stupid :P

rajeev1204
March 8th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Anyone notice how the new purple color matches with the Yahoo logo ? And since Firefox is using Yahoo by default, iam thinking. .......................

Definitely a yahoo influence on the color ?

Anyways, purple is one of my favorite colors , i prefer calling it violet though, and iam standing near my PC and my shirt ,my phone and my ubuntu splash are all matching colors . :D

But they should have tried some color more original, like brown :) Iam using the homosapien theme and its great.

piousp
March 8th, 2010, 06:37 PM
What about Kubuntu!?

AnUnderwhelmingUsername
March 9th, 2010, 12:16 AM
what about kubuntu!?

+1

Sam
March 9th, 2010, 01:35 AM
Don't worry guys, you haven't been forgotten.

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/9784/kubuntu.png

Giant Speck
March 9th, 2010, 01:40 AM
Don't worry guys, you haven't been forgotten.

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/9784/kubuntu.png

The K doesn't quite look right.

Sam
March 9th, 2010, 01:43 AM

Yeah that was gimped in 2 minutes. ;)

Islington
March 9th, 2010, 03:09 AM

that font is gonna be great.

the yawner
March 9th, 2010, 09:02 AM
I think Kubuntu's branding will be tackled in Project Timelord.

m4tic
March 10th, 2010, 10:42 AM
why does the font suck?

HomoGleek
March 10th, 2010, 01:13 PM
why does the font suck?
Should have gone to Specsavers =D

ovroniil
March 10th, 2010, 03:29 PM
I don't like the new theme. It reminds me more of 'Mac' rather than 'Ubuntu'! It’s seems that Ubuntu has thrown away it’s own unique identity to be more ‘MAC’ish! Why Ubuntu has to copy the upper panel icons and colors from Mac OSX? Windows has it’s own identity, so does Mac; but where is the distinctive identity of Ubuntu? Doesn’t it looks like ubuntu is suffering from it’s own identity crisis?

pelle.k
March 10th, 2010, 05:48 PM
It reminds me more of 'Mac' rather than 'Ubuntu'! It’s seems that Ubuntu has thrown away it’s own unique identity to be more ‘MAC’ish!
As a mac user, i disagree. Ubuntu is still quite unique IMHO. The new theme looks as macish as the old one as far as i am concerned (not very, that is).
The new monochrome status icons look very similar though. But i don't mind since these new ones are much nicer (OS X or not).

Nickedynick
March 10th, 2010, 06:13 PM
I think the notification icons do look Mac-ish, but not necessarily by directly copying the Mac interface. Having a unified look in the notification area is something common to both major OSs now, and it looks good because of its simplicity.

Sure, Microsoft may have stated that they copied parts of the Mac approach, but it doesn't mean it's a bad influence to draw upon. Ubuntu does still look unique (just in a different way now), and I'm sure as we get closer to this release - and Lucid+1's release - the look will mature well.

Mark76
March 10th, 2010, 06:23 PM
Sure, Microsoft may have stated that they copied parts of the Mac approach, but it doesn't mean it's a bad influence to draw upon. Ubuntu does still look unique (just in a different way now), and I'm sure as we get closer to this release - and Lucid+1's release - the look will mature well.

Hmm...

In 1988, Apple decided to sue Microsoft over Windows 2.0’s “look and feel”, claiming it infringed on Apple’s visual copyrights. Having been a principal manager in charge during development of Windows 2.0, I was now caught up in the maelstrom and over the next year I got a thorough education on the US legal process as I briefed the Microsoft legal team, created exhibits for them, and was grilled by deposition by the other side. To me the allegation clearly had no merit as I had never intended to copy the Macintosh interface, was never given any directive to do that, and never directed my team to do that.

The similarities between the products were largely due to the fact that both Windows and Macintosh has common ancestors, that being many of the earlier windowing systems such as those like Alto and Star (the latter shown at left) that were created at Xerox PARC. History shows that Jobs in fact visited PARC and hired people from there to join Apple. But Apple’s first graphical-interface computer, the Lisa, failed, and there was a time even in the first year of its launch that it was unclear whether the Macintosh would make it. From my perspective, Microsoft’s support of the Macintosh helped it survive through its most critical time and continues to be a platform the company continues to support. To me, the allegation was almost insulting. If I wanted to copy the Macintosh, I could have done a much better job.

The trial dragged on for months, but eventually settled not so much because of Apple’s claim of visual copyrights, but in part because the companies actually had signed an agreement long before where Apple had previously granted a license to Microsoft to use any part the interface included in its applications for the Mac. Even so, I had never used this to consider copying the Mac user interface. However, I can recall that within my first year at Microsoft, Gates had acquired a Xerox Star, and encouraged employees to try it out because he thought it exemplified the future of where the PC would be headed and this was long before Microsoft even saw a Mac or even a Lisa from Apple. Gates believed in WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get–i.e. fidelity between the screen and document output) and the value of a graphical user interface as far back as I can remember. And prototypes of Windows existed long before the first appearance of the Macintosh.

Linky MacLink (http://technologizer.com/2010/03/08/the-secret-origin-of-windows/)

teh603
March 10th, 2010, 07:19 PM
I think the notification icons do look Mac-ish, but not necessarily by directly copying the Mac interface. Having a unified look in the notification area is something common to both major OSs now, and it looks good because of its simplicity.

Mac-ish? I always thought Gnome was GEOS-ish more than Mac-ish.

Nickedynick
March 10th, 2010, 07:45 PM
I meant for elements of Windows 7's look - specifically the taskbar appearance.

koleoptero
March 10th, 2010, 08:13 PM
In retrospect, they should have stuck with a fugly theme. At least then we wouldn't have all the paranoid Apple hating movement. I mean Jesus looks like macosx because of some icons? Or the orientation of the titlebar buttons? What would they do? Stick the titlebar buttons in the middle or the bottom to look unique? Left goes apple, right goes windows, go figure.

[/rant]

ElSlunko
March 11th, 2010, 09:55 AM
In retrospect, they should have stuck with a fugly theme. At least then we wouldn't have all the paranoid Apple hating movement. I mean Jesus looks like macosx because of some icons? Or the orientation of the titlebar buttons? What would they do? Stick the titlebar buttons in the middle or the bottom to look unique? Left goes apple, right goes windows, go figure.

[/rant]

+Agree whole heartedly. It's one thing to compare screenshots and cry heresy, but Ubuntu doesn't feel or act like OSX much. Many programs are different & navigation is somewhat different. There is only SO much a shell & window manager can do, the rest are extra and distracting bells & whistles.

ovroniil
March 11th, 2010, 04:04 PM
What would they do? Stick the titlebar buttons in the middle or the bottom to look unique? Left goes apple, right goes windows, go figure.

you mean like this (http://maqtanim.wordpress.com/2010/03/11/lucid-lynx-mockup/)!! it's a pretty insane mock up!

Radicc
March 11th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Looks real nice.

Only issue I have is the window manipulation buttons on the metacity theme. First of all having the buttons on the left is pretty fail unless you are only hoping to steal mac users (not likely). I think windows users are going to fiddle with it for all of five minutes before ejecting the live CD and going back to xp/vista/7. Second if you want the buttons on the left shouldn't close still be put in the corner?

I run openbox on my installs, so I'm not real concerned. I do think this would annoy my dad though.

you mean like this (http://maqtanim.wordpress.com/2010/03/11/lucid-lynx-mockup/)!! it's a pretty insane mock up!

This looks like a pretty good idea, but I suspect it will lead to a lot of accidental window closing.

beetleman64
March 11th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Looking good so far, but it's an odd move putting the Close/Maximise/Minimise buttons on the left in the wrong order. Oh, and that network Activity Indicated just screams "Mac".

pelle.k
March 11th, 2010, 07:33 PM
I did some experimenting. They should combine the menubar with the metacity title bar (and clean up nautilus a bit for that matter). This would look quite unique IMHO (i know bespin in kde4 can do something like this though).

Original image
http://imgur.com/SauOH.jpg (http://imgur.com/SauOH.jpg)

Mockup
http://imgur.com/EYp4W.jpg (http://imgur.com/EYp4W.jpg)

derrick81787
March 11th, 2010, 07:47 PM
I did some experimenting. They should combine the menubar with the metacity title bar (and clean up nautilus a bit for that matter). This would look quite unique IMHO (i know bespin in kde4 can do something like this though).

I kind of like that idea, but I see some problems with it.

While it looks good for Nautilus in the mockup you posted, it would cause problems for other programs. Just imaging Firefox for a second. It displays the title of the current page in its title bar, so every time you go to a new page that has a different title of a different length, that would cause your menu bar to move.

A similar problem occurs with two different applications, no matter what they are. Nautilus' title in your mockup is "File Browser" but let's say that the user also has Evolution open. Its title will be "Evolution" or something similar. The two titles have different lengths and so would result in the menu bar being pushed over to the right more in one than in the other. "File Browser" and "Evolution" may be close enough to not really matter, but you can imagine the same problem with other programs.

- Derrick

The Toxic Mite
March 11th, 2010, 08:20 PM
i kind of like that idea, but i see some problems with it.

While it looks good for nautilus in the mockup you posted, it would cause problems for other programs. Just imaging firefox for a second. It displays the title of the current page in its title bar, so every time you go to a new page that has a different title of a different length, that would cause your menu bar to move.

A similar problem occurs with two different applications, no matter what they are. Nautilus' title in your mockup is "file browser" but let's say that the user also has evolution open. Its title will be "evolution" or something similar. The two titles have different lengths and so would result in the menu bar being pushed over to the right more in one than in the other. "file browser" and "evolution" may be close enough to not really matter, but you can imagine the same problem with other programs.

- derrick

+1.

Zlatan
March 11th, 2010, 09:31 PM

Original image
http://imgur.com/SauOH.jpg (http://imgur.com/SauOH.jpg)

Mockup
http://imgur.com/EYp4W.jpg (http://imgur.com/EYp4W.jpg)

yes, please! is it possible to configure like this in karmic?

ElSlunko
March 11th, 2010, 11:43 PM
Maybe put

Buttons > Menu : Title

Big issue with this would be closing the window by accident when going for File.

The title would have to be restricted to a certain length though since long titles will cause problems I bet.

Merk42
March 12th, 2010, 05:08 AM
Looking good so far, but it's an odd move putting the Close/Maximise/Minimise buttons on the left in the wrong order. Oh, and that network Activity Indicated just screams "Mac".

Have you seen the Office icons...?

chele
March 12th, 2010, 06:06 AM
What am I doing wrong?
http://vcn.bc.ca/%7Eapater/Screenshot.png

I get all kinds of weird graphic artefacts, fonts in java applets are unreadable, window list thingy's stack up ....

It ain't pretty.

pelle.k
March 12th, 2010, 05:39 PM
I kind of like that idea, but I see some problems with it.

While it looks good for Nautilus in the mockup you posted, it would cause problems for other programs. Just imaging Firefox for a second. It displays the title of the current page in its title bar, so every time you go to a new page that has a different title of a different length, that would cause your menu bar to move.

A similar problem occurs with two different applications, no matter what they are. Nautilus' title in your mockup is "File Browser" but let's say that the user also has Evolution open. Its title will be "Evolution" or something similar. The two titles have different lengths and so would result in the menu bar being pushed over to the right more in one than in the other. "File Browser" and "Evolution" may be close enough to not really matter, but you can imagine the same problem with other programs.

- Derrick

You are of course right. I did some more experimenting (EDIT: ehrm, gimping), to cancel those issues out. I'm not sure of how efficient this would be, but it sure appeals to me anyway.

http://imgur.com/JSpBw.jpg (http://imgur.com/JSpBw.jpg)

http://imgur.com/RPSrD.jpg (http://imgur.com/RPSrD.jpg)

ElSlunko
March 12th, 2010, 08:32 PM
You are of course right. I did some more experimenting, to cancel those issues out. I'm not sure of how efficient this would be, but it sure appeals to me anyway.

FWIW, I'd rock that.

DubyBreaks
March 13th, 2010, 01:30 AM
You are of course right. I did some more experimenting, to cancel those issues out. I'm not sure of how efficient this would be, but it sure appeals to me anyway.

This is an awesome layout. I like it. It looks very natural and efficient. I would deffinitely use this layout.

azurehi
March 13th, 2010, 04:28 AM
any idea how to change the button location back to right side?

Whistling Nixie
March 13th, 2010, 04:36 AM
If you want the buttons on the left shouldn't close still be put in the corner?
It would be far better to keep the buttons in the same left-to-right order, like the pedals if you convert a RHD car to LHD. Plus I'd prefer the Close button to be a shade of red that's closer to orange, and a dark orange default wallpaper. Other than that, it doesn't look too bad.

Psumi
March 13th, 2010, 08:05 AM
I forgot to ask:

will there be a nice new xfwm theme?

NightwishFan
March 13th, 2010, 08:10 AM
The Xubuntu team is great with making themes for it. Karmic looked fantastic. I am very curious what they will dig up for Lucid.

linuxisfree
March 13th, 2010, 08:19 AM
Looks GREAT! I do prefer the OLD Logo, though... :)

appier
March 13th, 2010, 08:35 AM
You are of course right. I did some more experimenting (EDIT: ehrm, gimping), to cancel those issues out. I'm not sure of how efficient this would be, but it sure appeals to me anyway.

This looks really nice. I hope something like it is adopted!

iTrickU
March 13th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Is it just me or does it look very feminine?

those purples and pinks aren't what i like on my desktop

hictio
March 13th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Personally, I like it a lot, I'm not a graphic designer, but I think the new look is really easy on the eyes, specially the darker version of the theme.
The only thing I don't like are the icons they have chosen for buttons (don't mind at all the position, tho).

One thing I don't understand, tho, and this is totally personal, is why they keep insisting on the lower rounded corners on windows, but that's me ;)

subedistra7
March 13th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Is it just me or does it look very feminine?

those purples and pinks aren't what i like on my desktop

you prefer the feces brown of old?

ElSlunko
March 13th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Isn't dark purple the color of royalty?

koleoptero
March 13th, 2010, 10:45 PM

A couple of centuries ago perhaps.

Madspyman
March 13th, 2010, 11:15 PM

And the color of pop musician Prince, I bet he loves Lucid. Except he refers to it as "the distro formerly known as Karmic."

ElSlunko
March 13th, 2010, 11:16 PM
And the color of pop musician Prince, I bet he loves Lucid. Except he refers to it as "the distro formerly known as Karmic."

Ha! I laughed.

NightwishFan
March 14th, 2010, 01:44 AM
Prince is a cool guy. That was pretty funny.

Madspyman
March 14th, 2010, 02:04 AM
Prince is a cool guy.

Lucid should just be dubed the "Prince Edition" and everybody will say "oh OK purple, yeah I'm down with that." The boot up sound could be first 3 seconds of "Purple Rain"

Ubuntu developers never meant to cause us any pain.

ElSlunko
March 14th, 2010, 02:22 AM
LOL. I would love to see user's reaction to being greeted by prince next to his sweet bike during boot up.

NightwishFan
March 14th, 2010, 02:26 AM
My Debian based Distro: ThatAintLakeMinnetonkaOS.

Madspyman
March 14th, 2010, 09:34 AM
lol, nice.

ovroniil
March 14th, 2010, 11:46 AM
it seems that Lucid will have a purple icon set (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/03/invasion-of-purple-icons.html).

Psumi
March 14th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Purple is my favorite color too :D

ZarathustraDK
March 14th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Heh, just found this one on PlanetUbuntu :D

http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/offsite/lucid-window-controls.png

Haven't tried it myself yet, so I wont pass judgment. I can see how right-handed people could prefer it over the old style, as it feels more natural to flick your wrist towards your own body rather than away.

koleoptero
March 14th, 2010, 04:20 PM
heh, just found this one on planetubuntu :d

haven't tried it myself yet, so i wont pass judgment. I can see how right-handed people could prefer it over the old style, as it feels more natural to flick your wrist towards your own body rather than away.

rotflmao

JDorfler
March 14th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Will there be an easy way to put the min, max, exit buttons back on the right side of the window dressing?

koleoptero
March 14th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Will there be an easy way to put the min, max, exit buttons back on the right side of the window dressing?

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/03/ubuntu-tweak-053-released-with-improved.html

Giant Speck
March 14th, 2010, 08:56 PM

Haven't tried it myself yet, so I wont pass judgment. I can see how right-handed people could prefer it over the old style, as it feels more natural to flick your wrist towards your own body rather than away.

Oh... f'ing... LAWL!

Post Monkeh
March 14th, 2010, 09:26 PM

i think i just pee'd a little.

Groucho Marxist
March 14th, 2010, 10:32 PM
it seems that Lucid will have a purple icon set (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/03/invasion-of-purple-icons.html).

+1

Thanks for sharing this :) My sister's going to love it.

Mikecore
March 15th, 2010, 12:54 AM
Like the look, I installed NBR on a Acer and found I really like the Netbook GUI so much I installed it on my desktop. Its running cleanly so far and looks great with the Dust theme!

MechaMechanism
March 15th, 2010, 03:50 AM
Hey guys, good work on the re-branding! I really like it. Lucid is really shaping up to be something awesome. :)

Megrimn
March 15th, 2010, 05:07 AM
*anticipates* :D

mintochris
March 15th, 2010, 10:51 PM
I just dumped and old light wallpaper I made (including my original poem) on top of the new wallpaper and fudged up my colours a bit. It's a bit of a bridge between human and light - someone might appreciate it!
The full version is available on gnome look;
http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=121668

dany8907
March 16th, 2010, 05:19 PM
This is a very cool new look for ubuntu. The minimumize and close buttons on the right is new. I dont know about that. I think I wil come to like it. Its a cool new concept. Lucid is shaping up to be a great release. I cant wait!! :)

Psumi
March 17th, 2010, 01:14 AM

That can't be done with firefox or anything that doesn't use GTK. Plus, Metacity would have to be rewritten to adopt Gnome global menu functions.

What about us XFCE users? Why can't you do a mock of our gtk menus in xfwm? :(

You also might want to stick "File Browser" right to the right of the window icon/menu, before the File/edit/etc. menus. Anything that is tacked on extra (IE: Firefox's grabbing of page titles) would go where you currently have the file browser in your mocks instead (in the middle.) The name of the program would act as the file menu rather than to have a "File" menu.

the yawner
March 17th, 2010, 03:08 AM
Mmkay. While there's another more efficient method in moving windows, me thinks reducing the title bar area is a no-no.