PDA

View Full Version : How do I explain OpenPGP signatures and encryption

original_jamingrit
March 3rd, 2010, 06:22 PM
Hey all,
So this is a help request, but it's a bit more general than any other message boards available here, so I thought I may as well try here in the Cafe.

I'm starting to do more and more free-lance work programming and such, and I'd like to get into using OpenPGP signed emails with my clients, for two reasons; for some level of protection, and also to encourage more and more people to look into encryption.

I'm looking for a website or webpage that explains in simple terms what encrypted email is, and how they could use it themselves. Does anyone know of a nice, beginner level site or document like that? I'd like to be able to link to it as a part of my sig.

juancarlospaco
March 3rd, 2010, 07:10 PM
I think advanced encryption is not for Beginner.

del_diablo
March 3rd, 2010, 07:23 PM
Tell them to compare it to an.... signature on letters, wax style. Really oversized, ridiculessy complex, and pasted onto anything when its needed.

Psumi
March 3rd, 2010, 07:57 PM
I lost 3 PGP/GPG Keys, so I wouldn't recommend using PGP/GPG.

Never will be an Ubuntu member rank because of it, and I hate meetings.

original_jamingrit
March 3rd, 2010, 07:58 PM
I think advanced encryption is not for Beginner.
I don't really intend on pushing encryption, but I do want to make people think about it. Sort of like one of the more memorable quotes from these forums, "Don't preach, just suggest". Plus, I at least want to explain that weird e-mail attachment I send all the time.

wax style. Really oversized, ridiculessy complex, and pasted onto anything when its needed.

Cool, I like this idea, and I guess it's the best physical analog. Thanks!

original_jamingrit
March 3rd, 2010, 08:01 PM

If you don't mind me asking, how did you lose them? I intend on keeping mine backed up on medium hidden and not connected to my computer, and the passphrases written down in a separate place.

Psumi
March 3rd, 2010, 08:05 PM
If you don't mind me asking, how did you lose them? I intend on keeping mine backed up on medium hidden and not connected to my computer, and the passphrases written down in a separate place.

*shrug*

I just don't like PGP/GPG anyway. I don't use it anyway.

juancarlospaco
March 3rd, 2010, 08:16 PM
Never will be an Ubuntu member rank because of it, and I hate meetings.

Store the keys on the Ubuntu One cloudz.
encrypted

Penguin Guy
March 3rd, 2010, 08:20 PM
As I understand it; the only real reason to use PGP Emails is if you don't trust your Email server, or if you are transferring very sensitive information (e.g. bank details).

original_jamingrit
March 3rd, 2010, 08:22 PM
Store the keys on the Ubuntu One cloudz.
encrypted

That's either a terrible or an awesome idea. I'm just not sure which. I guess you'd want to use some heavy duty encryption for that. It might be better than burying a USB stick in your backyard, where a dog could dig it up.

original_jamingrit
March 3rd, 2010, 08:24 PM
As I understand it; the only real reason to use PGP Emails is if you don't trust your Email server, or if you are transferring very sensitive information (e.g. bank details).

I'm using it more for the signatures than anything. Just something to say "This message is _definitely_ from original_jamingrit". But I would like to be using it for encrypting e-mails that have financial info as well.

juancarlospaco
March 3rd, 2010, 08:32 PM
That's either a terrible or an awesome idea. I'm just not sure which. I guess you'd want to use some heavy duty encryption for that. It might be better than burying a USB stick in your backyard, where a dog could dig it up.

I just use common sense...
but nowadays is not so common :D