PDA

View Full Version : Incredible Learning Resource: MIT opencourse

Khufucius
March 3rd, 2010, 04:43 PM
A few days ago, I stumbled onto the MIT "opencourse" website. I've been working on the basics of Comp. Science/Python for a little while now, and I wish I'd found the MIT site sooner.

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Electrical-Engineering-and-Computer-Science/index.htm

That link should take you to the Electrical Engineering and Comp. Science section.

This site is a place where MIT have "open-sourced" about 2000 of their classes -- this includes video of all the lectures, downloadable PDFs of assignments and class notes, exams and solutions, etc. Everything. It's freakin' unbelievable (I'm nowhere near smart enough to get into MIT, so this is a way for me to fulfill that dream without those pesky entrance requirements).

They've got an interesting selection of Computer Science classes to choose from. I'm a newb, so I'm going through the "Intro to Computer Science" (600.1) class right now The class uses Python to introduce programming basics. It moves quickly, but I'm learning much faster than I did from only reading books and writing code tidbits.

I figured this could be helpful to quite a few people looking to start out, so I've posted it here. It's really worth checking out.

Hooray for free knowledge,

-K

PS - In case it's not obvious: you don't get college credit for downloading and studying this material, it doesn't make you an MIT grad, etc etc etc. The site says about as much. Oh, and I'm in no way affiliated with MIT or this "open course" thing (though I wish I was!)

bunburya
March 3rd, 2010, 04:48 PM
Thanks for this! TBH I had heard of it before but didn't know it would teach in Python which is what I'm looking for as well.

Rany Albeg
March 3rd, 2010, 09:51 PM
Thank you very much!

SNYP40A1
March 3rd, 2010, 11:13 PM
Guess it's time for me to learn Python. I've heard about MIT OpenCourseWare and used it a few years ago. It's a great resource and I hope more schools do the same.

tgalati4
March 3rd, 2010, 11:30 PM
This would have saved me a few bucks.

supershin
March 4th, 2010, 02:59 AM
Check out this site as well

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1403475

Xyro
March 4th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Nice!

wojox
March 4th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Never seen the Academic Earth one. Sweet :D

Bachstelze
March 4th, 2010, 07:15 PM
As a side-note, you can see on the videos that most teachers are using a MacBook. So much for the "Macs are just for stupid n00bs" stereotype. ;)

Shark_AtK12
March 5th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Great finds. Ill be starting up online courses soon starting with getting my Associates in Computer Science. So I for sure will be checking these.

Drone022
March 5th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Awesome links. Thank you.