PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to restart X-server? I try everything...

felix-leg
March 3rd, 2010, 03:22 PM
I've a work which involves a lot of editing xorg.conf, so I wish to be able to apply my confs as quick as possible. But I can't restart X in my ubuntu :(. I've try:

init 3
telinit 3
gdm restart
killall gdm
Ctrl+Alt+Bks

Of course everything under root ("su" command). But the server doesn't react at all T_T. Terminal also doesn't show any messages (like if a command was ran properly)

karthick87
March 3rd, 2010, 03:27 PM
Try..

/etc/init.d/gdm restart

felix-leg
March 3rd, 2010, 03:37 PM
This is exactly the 3th point on my list... :(

karthick87
March 3rd, 2010, 03:45 PM

/etc/init.d/gdm restart

warp99
March 3rd, 2010, 04:26 PM
In keyboard setup you can enable the ctrl-alt-backspace command to restart x-server. Go to System > Preferences > Keyboard. Click on "Layouts" then at the bottom of the dialog click on "Layout Options". Scroll down until you see "Key sequence to kill the X server" and check the box.

Another way is to switch to a terminal with ctrl+alt+f1 then the following:

sudo service gdm restart && exit

That will restart X and close the terminal. Another method:

killall5 && exit

This will kill all programs that are running under your user id. It doesn't allow for a graceful closing of programs and cleanup so it should be avoided unless all other options fail.

felix-leg
March 8th, 2010, 06:31 PM
It works! :D Thanks.

akand074
March 8th, 2010, 06:33 PM
You could also go to system > preferences > keyboard (or keyboard layout can't remember) and then go to layout and reactivate "shortcut to kill the X server" which is ctrl+alt+backspace, I find that more convenient personally.