PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] How can I get a normal volume slider?

saz
March 3rd, 2010, 02:45 PM
Hi,

I just installed xubuntu on my dad's notebook (he was using Arch previously, but I dont have the time to mantain it for him, so xubuntu's easy maintenance was the way to go).

The volume applet on the top bar of Xfce4 opens up the mixer, but he just wants a normal, simple slider to control the main volume, like he would get in gnome...

I'd like some help to solve this issue... What can I do and what options are there?

Thanks!

labinnsw
March 10th, 2010, 02:04 PM
Double click should open the mixer. Single click should be the volume control. Is that what is happening?

saz
March 10th, 2010, 02:25 PM
no. that would be nice.

whats happening is one click opens mixer, double clicker opens mixer...

:x

labinnsw
March 11th, 2010, 07:56 AM
If you haven't done this yet:

Right click on the panel.
Select add to panel.
Scroll to volume control and select it.
Test the new control to see if it works as it should.
If it works, you can remove the old one. If not, you are fresh out of luck and I am fresh out of ideas.

inobe
March 11th, 2010, 08:06 AM
if it's 9.04 it's just like that for whatever reason, upgrading to 9.10 i had a volume control slider up on the right side panel next to the time.

kerry_s
March 11th, 2010, 08:13 AM

Select add to panel.
If it works, you can remove the old one. If not, you are fresh out of luck and I am fresh out of ideas.

xfce4 changed the volume control.

@ saz,
you do know you just scroll on the icon to change the volume, there's no need to open anything.
but if you just have to, there's "xfce4-xfapplet-plugin" you can try using gnomes volume control, if it's stable enough & doesn't crash in xfce4.

kerry_s
March 11th, 2010, 08:16 AM
if it's 9.04 it's just like that for whatever reason, upgrading to 9.10 i had a volume control slider up on the right side panel next to the time.

so they changed it again? :lolflag:
guess they just can't decide what people want. ;)
it would be nice if they just made it a preference option.

saz
March 11th, 2010, 12:19 PM

Select add to panel.

been there done that.

@ kerry_s

well the scroll isnt very practic cuz its a notebook (old) so no easy access to scroll)

ill try the other option as soon as i get home (a couple of hours from now)

tyvm

kerry_s
March 11th, 2010, 12:42 PM
been there done that.

@ kerry_s

well the scroll isnt very practic cuz its a notebook (old) so no easy access to scroll)

ill try the other option as soon as i get home (a couple of hours from now)

tyvm

no scroll on your touchpad?

you can always create some keyboard shortcuts or you can use icons if all else fails.
the commands are:

raise by 3-> amixer set Master 3+
lower by 3-> amixer set Master 3-
mute/unmute-> amixer set Master toggle

i've had to do that before, i've even done scripts where i could just select it by %
example:
amixer set Master 25%
amixer set Master 50%
amixer set Master 75%
amixer set Master 100%

it's easy in xfce4 cause you can put several launchers on 1 icon.

saz
March 11th, 2010, 10:58 PM
ok i've got XfApplet up and running, but i have no idea whats the name of the volume control applet, i've installed a lot of them, but no volume control yet... anyone knows the name of the package to install?

kerry_s
March 11th, 2010, 11:12 PM
ok i've got XfApplet up and running, but i have no idea whats the name of the volume control applet, i've installed a lot of them, but no volume control yet... anyone knows the name of the package to install?

"gnome-applets" has the volume control.

saz
March 11th, 2010, 11:21 PM
"gnome-applets" has the volume control.

you sure? cuz i've installed that already, and that installed a bunch of gnome applets (finance, that fish, monitors and etc) but not the volume control...

kerry_s
March 12th, 2010, 12:57 AM
see pic

kerry_s
March 15th, 2010, 04:57 AM
so did you get it, i tried it & it works, but i'm running xfce4-panel in gnome.