PDA

View Full Version : customize panel in NBR

B.W.
March 3rd, 2010, 12:29 PM
How do I customize the panel in NBR 10.04?

Right click brings up the menu allright...
http://i49.tinypic.com/30xftq8.png
but all the essential options are grayed out. Same goes for moving, unlocking and removing existing applets and so on.

I tried all the standard config, looked in gconf, searched in ~/.gnome, found nothing.
I can change the session to Gnome and customize Gnome panel just fine, but if I switch back to NBR (Maximus), the panel returns to default and the entries are disabled again with a truly microsoftish persistence...

B.W.
March 6th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Nobody knows?

B.W.
March 13th, 2010, 01:29 PM
"Ubuntu is all about choices".
Yeah, right.

kerry_s
March 13th, 2010, 02:33 PM
10.04 is still work in progress, try 9.10 or 9.04 if you want choice.

B.W.
March 13th, 2010, 04:42 PM
AFAIK GUI is already on freeze... should I report this as a bug then, if it's to be changed before release?

kerry_s
March 13th, 2010, 07:15 PM
AFAIK GUI is already on freeze... should I report this as a bug then, if it's to be changed before release?

if you feel like it.
i'm waiting for release before moving to 10.04, i'm still using 9.04, 9.10 doesn't agree with my computer. i use the standard gnome & just add maximus, thats the only part i atually like right now. i make my own close button.

schoenswetter
April 29th, 2010, 11:13 PM
I have the same problem. Isn't it solved right now??

richardh9936
May 9th, 2010, 08:15 AM
Me too. NBR with Gnome-Panel locked. Where's the magic unlock switch?

not.robb
May 14th, 2010, 07:15 AM
Anyone have ideas on this one? I'm dying to customize the heck out of this panel.

aewhite
May 14th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Just as an FYI, I even looked in gconf-editor under /apps/panel and all of the interesting fields are "not writable" (which seems odd to me)

aewhite
May 15th, 2010, 06:10 PM
How about this...

http://maketecheasier.com/unlock-gnome-panel-in-ubuntu-netbook-edition-une/2010/04/25

agmlego
August 29th, 2010, 05:16 AM
Not to revive an old thread or anything, but is there any further development on this?

The link from Make Tech Easier is not useful for those of us who actually do wish to use the UNE session, but also want to customise the top panel, as it essentially suggests ditching the UNE session in favour of GNOME proper.

kerry_s
August 29th, 2010, 05:45 AM
there's nothing you can do with the gnome-panel. you can replace it, xfce4-panel with the xfapplet offeres the closest thing as you can use gnome applets.

mathiaho
September 4th, 2010, 09:40 PM
You can remove ubuntu-netbook-default-settings or whatever it's called in the software centre.

Warning: It will make your install look like a regular ubuntu!

Then you can install maximus and netbook-launcher, and make them start automatically

I don't know if this will destroy other settings you might want. You have been warned.

This solved this problem for me, at least.