PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Small Linux distos

sxmaxchine
March 3rd, 2010, 10:25 AM
i am looking for a small linux distribution i can use on an old and week pc. I have tried Damn small Linux and Tiny Core but they are pretty bad for a main OS, i was thinking of downloading Puppy Linux but wanted to know if there are some others i should check out before downloading.
i can not download more than about 150 mb

my pc only has an intel celeron 1.6ghz single core, 64mb ati graphics card and 192 mb of RAM.

darkod
March 3rd, 2010, 11:48 AM
i am looking for a small linux distribution i can use on an old and week pc. I have tried Damn small Linux and Tiny Core but they are pretty bad for a main OS, i was thinking of downloading Puppy Linux but wanted to know if there are some others i should check out before downloading.
i can not download more than about 150 mb

my pc only has an intel celeron 1.6ghz single core, 64mb ati graphics card and 192 mb of RAM.

I have tried running Puppy in live mode when trying it out for a friend's old PC. I thought it's pretty good. Definitely improvement over DSL.

If the computer can run it, I think it's a good choice. I don't know any others personally, which doesn't mean it doesn't exist. :)

Pritamsng
March 3rd, 2010, 12:08 PM
check the link this may help you...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_distributions

ronnielsen1
March 3rd, 2010, 12:11 PM
I have tried running Puppy in live mode when trying it out for a friend's old PC. I thought it's pretty good. Definitely improvement over DSL

Prettier but the package selection of puppy lags considerably behind DSL

mkvnmtr
March 3rd, 2010, 01:08 PM
I am on a computer with similar specs to yours. If you can add one 512MB memory stick you will be happy with any full Ubuntu release. Plenty fast enough.
That being said Puppy will do anything you wish to do and do it very fast. I like to do a minimal install of Ubuntu using just xofce4 not Xusuntu. It is lifht and fast and I can add anything I want from Synaptic. But I really like to have at least 300Mb of memory.