PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Virtual Ubuntu Installation?

rubsnick
March 3rd, 2010, 05:19 AM
I wanted to try my hand at ubuntu and dual booting but it was too much of a pain and I need Windows reliably... My main reason for wanting to use Ubuntu is because I want to learn other operating systems and what not so I'm thinking a virtual machine would be the perfect way if I screw something up I could always just shut it off and be done with it ya know?

Problem is I cannot seem to find a decent guide for the new Ubuntu it's usually really older version and stuff... so I'd like any type of advice or just link me to a guide or something I can't seem to find a recent one.

rubsnick
March 3rd, 2010, 01:08 PM
bump

mkvnmtr
March 3rd, 2010, 03:03 PM
Download the ISO of your choice. Create the virtual disk in Virtual Box. Mount the iso and start the machine. It will explain itself as it boots up and you choose to install. For questions about Virtual Box there is a manual on the Sun site you can down load. It is truly so easy just do it.
On a virtual setting Ubuntu is so easy you will catch on very quickly.

lushinga
March 3rd, 2010, 03:06 PM
I'm new to Red hat linux enterprise 5 and seek your help. I'm trying to back folders from MS windows Pcs onto the linux serverf. what are the steps or how is the procedure

sam.reader
March 3rd, 2010, 04:22 PM
I have never tried my hand at Virtual Ubuntu Installation.
Can you specify a few advantages of it?
I would like to know how its performance is when compared to a install made normally.
Please pass this information through to me.

cybergalvez
March 3rd, 2010, 04:50 PM
there is already a windows based install that does exactly what you want, it installs ubuntu as a windows app and runs it virtually. Take a look at the ubuntu download page