PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Newbie needs help with saving scanned documents.

CLOCKTEK
March 3rd, 2010, 03:59 AM
Recently downloaded/installed Ubuntu 9.1 on a Dell Latitude610 with XP Pro. Can get HP3500c scanner to scan in. However, unlike Windows, there is a limited choice in "File Type" from which to choose. I need to be able to scan in and Save As a ".doc" so the saved documents may be e-mailed to others who ONLY have a Windows OS to open them.

I have tried every file type choice xSane .996 has to offer, PDF, Jpeg, Tiff etc. None of these can be opened by Windows successfully to reproduce the document. Also, each of the choices in xSane produces a copy with 749.6Mb when the largest document scanned in .doc, is only ~49Kb! It takes forever to attach and e-mail them!

I am VERY new to Ubuntu/Linux and love it so far, but, am having great discomfort in trying to understand it's methods. Also, so you know, this chap is NO computer guru and needs some understanding and mentoring such as we do in Amatuer Radio with beginners.

My desperation is that I can no longer utilize the HP scanner on windows now and have an urgent need to send scanned reports to others soon.

Any thoughts and/or instructions shall be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance to the community.

CLOCKTEK

stinger30au
March 3rd, 2010, 04:03 AM
windows will open damn near any file on he planet so long as it has the right s/w installed to do so

you can scan the files and save as pdf and windows will definately open it so long as a pdf view is installed

for windows i suggest u install foxitpdf reader

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader/

as for scanning and saving the files, i use gscan2pdf

its in the add/remove section of ubuntu under applications

make sure u set the options to view all available apps and your in business

CLOCKTEK
March 3rd, 2010, 05:08 AM
Thank you stinger for your rapid reply and help. I have downloaded your suggestion and will experiment with it. I shall let you know how the battle goes.

Cheers, Pete :smile:

CLOCKTEK
March 4th, 2010, 03:46 AM
Hello stinger39au,

The battle continues. In Applications > Graphics I did the gscan2pdf as suggested. The finished window stated it was "now installed on the computer" as V0.9.29. OK, that seemed good.

There were no opportunities or places for one to choose files etc. as you advised and when the gscan is clicked in Applications > Graphics, a scan window with four tabs shows up inside the main gscan window. Only the "Options" tab has info on it and the "Scan" bar on the bottom. Also in the tool bar the "Save" and "Attach as pdf to e-mail" icons are "ghosted out".

The HP3500c performs a scan, however, there is no preview to be found of the scan and no way to SAVE the scan to a folder/file. What, and where have I gone wrong as the install is self initiated and completing???? SIMPLY PUT, I AM LOST!

Thank you,

Pete