PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Upgrade from ubuntu!

tuxman7
March 3rd, 2010, 03:43 AM
Hi,

I recently set up my machine with ubuntu Karmic and i just discovered Ubuntu studio which is exactly what i need it for...

I was thinking about just upgrading what i have now, i have my home directory on a separate partition so it should be affected.... but when i ran this command which is listed in the support section of the ubuntu studio site i got an error about 'Super Cow Access' or something along those lines.

sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install ubuntustudio-desktop
ubuntustudio-audio ubuntustudio-audio-plugins ubuntustudio-graphics
ubuntustudio-video linux-rt

I dont understand why.

Also, i know that if i do an upgrade instead of a clean install then i will have to run alot more commands because changes will be made to apps already installed that would be affected by the upgrade.

Would it be easier just to try a clean install?

If i do another clean install and have both ubuntu and studio in separate partitions do i need a swap for each or just the one swap do?

Thanks

cchhrriiss121212
March 3rd, 2010, 11:10 AM
I'd recommend a separate install for studio, you can share the swap and home partitions.

kellemes
March 3rd, 2010, 11:12 AM
Take it slow..

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ubuntustudio-desktop

Now post the output if anything went wrong..

tuxman7
March 6th, 2010, 10:01 PM
Sorry for the late reply, but i decided to forget the install and just install the programs i want in regular ubuntu, i know it wont be as real time as studio but i aint going to be recording from a mic or anything so im not too bothered.

I did try to install studio and use the same swap for ubuntu but the swap ended up getting corrupted and i had problems doing stuff in both OS's so i just wiped again and put karmic on.

I think i will just get the theme package from the repository as i find it more attractive than the regular ubuntu one :P

Thanks anyway guys :)