PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Store project?

Richard1979
March 2nd, 2010, 11:34 PM
I was reading this article: http://interviews.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=1568688&cid=31335304

(it's an interview with a new Canonical employee)

This comment made me think: why is there no project to put Ubuntu CDs in retail stores free of charge?
Surely this would be an excellent marketing ploy - place an impressive Ubuntu Linux display in every major electronics store and see how many pick up a copy "because it's free".

What do you think the logistics and cost considerations would be of this kind of venture?

motorcity909
March 2nd, 2010, 11:41 PM
Sadly, I reckon those major electronic stores would not even countenance giving something away for free at the expense of a lost Windows 7 sale.

samalex
March 2nd, 2010, 11:42 PM
I was reading this article: http://interviews.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=1568688&cid=31335304

(it's an interview with a new Canonical employee)

This comment made me think: why is there no project to put Ubuntu CDs in retail stores free of charge?
Surely this would be an excellent marketing ploy - place an impressive Ubuntu Linux display in every major electronics store and see how many pick up a copy "because it's free".

What do you think the logistics and cost considerations would be of this kind of venture?

It worked for AOL :) There was a time when you couldn't go into any electronic store or pick-up a magazine without finding an AOL Floppy then CD.

Sam

Simian Man
March 2nd, 2010, 11:48 PM
It worked for AOL :) There was a time when you couldn't go into any electronic store or pick-up a magazine without finding an AOL Floppy then CD.

Sam

Yes. But AOL actually had hopes of making a profit from that while Linux vendors do not.

Nickedynick
March 2nd, 2010, 11:49 PM
The risk would be that Ubuntu CDs would just end up as coasters :P

Excedio
March 2nd, 2010, 11:56 PM

Much like the AOL CDs ;-)

Richard1979
March 3rd, 2010, 12:00 AM

And what is the problem with that?
At least it gets Ubuntu into the mainstream - any publicity is good.
Anything which makes people see or think about Ubuntu is a good thing.

Kai69
March 3rd, 2010, 12:45 AM
One way of doing it is to go into a store on a saturday and load a live cd "just to test before I buy" see how many people start watching you and the looks on their faces when you load back into windows the questions so come. I did it when I brought a lappy for the kids at xmas even gave the cd away and brought the lappy .:mrgreen:

NFblaze
March 3rd, 2010, 12:57 AM
The store probrably wants to make money so unless someone is paying for them to display Ubuntu CDs, I doubt this would happen. You can also, bet it's not gonna happen a Best Buy for Geek Squad since they make a killing off infected computers.