PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No Administrator files will execute

orcamarine
March 2nd, 2010, 10:24 PM
Hi Everyone, and thanks for your help in advance, I am new to Ubuntu and linux in general and have come across a little problem which may be my fault but I cant seem to rectify the problem which is as follows, everytime I try to enter any of the admin controls ie update manager etc the window opens for a split second then crashes also if the sound is turned up or down via keyboard shortcut the sound bar starts flashing very fast and the keyboard becomes inoperative, I have tried rebooting etc with no avail, I have done everything that I can with my very ltd knowledge, this first started after the last update I am using 9:10 KK.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

cigtoxdoc
March 3rd, 2010, 02:20 AM
I have samje problem. I have tried to get help; but no one seems to know the answer.

I can get by using Failsafe GNOME or logging in to GNOME as root.

John

orcamarine
March 3rd, 2010, 11:36 AM
Hi john, thanks for info I will try that, but if anyone has an answer that will be great.

sisco311
March 3rd, 2010, 11:52 AM
What happens when you try to use sudo/gksu/pkexec in a terminal? Do you get any error messages?

sudo echo "sudo"
gksu echo "gksu"
pkexec echo "pkexec"

Does update-manager return any error message?

update-manager

orcamarine
March 3rd, 2010, 07:27 PM
Hi Sisco,
Thanks for your time, I have this error code,
(update-manager:8652): IBUS-WARNING **: Connect to unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-chguacAD9q,guid=4839918c80a06b748836408a4b743fdd failed: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-chguacAD9q: Connection refused.
Segmentation fault

Many Thanks

orcamarine
March 4th, 2010, 12:17 AM
Ok I think I may have worked around it(although not sure how doh sorry), In the red warning triangle on the task bar there is an option to change servers, my local was guernsey, I changed that to main server and clicked the option to automatically install security updates, this has now allowed the update manager to work and is currently installing 46 updates 8-)
Hopefully this might shed some light on it somewhere, sorry its not more indepth I was just clicking away lol