PDA

View Full Version : So I found an old TV today.

dragos240
March 2nd, 2010, 09:29 PM
On the side of the road. It's one of those ones that receives analog signals, there is no antenna port on it. Since that transition from analog to digital signals, I wouldn't be able to receive anything on it. Is there a way I can send a signal to it? For example, if I wanted to send a signal from my dreamcast (or genesis), how would I do that? I have no idea if the TV is black and white or color, because it can't get a signal. Any suggestions?

The Toxic Mite
March 2nd, 2010, 09:34 PM
Best solution: display it as an ornament :P

dragos240
March 2nd, 2010, 09:42 PM
Best solution: display it as an ornament :P

Your probably right. Is it possible to actually use it?

gletob
March 2nd, 2010, 09:49 PM
It's got to have some kind of attenna wether external or internal. Find a tv expert and ask them, If you know what your doing you could probably figure something out. But be careful if you decide to crack open a tv. Dangerous High Voltages.

The Toxic Mite
March 2nd, 2010, 09:51 PM
It's got to have some kind of attenna wether external or internal. Find a tv expert and ask them, If you know what your doing you could probably figure something out. But be careful if you decide to crack open a tv. Dangerous High Voltages.

Surely all the voltage would be drained out of it if it had been sitting for a while? :?

underquark
March 2nd, 2010, 09:51 PM
Team it up with an old VCR, many of which have built-in FM modulation. Transcode your Blu-Ray movies to the VCR (remembering to add in chunky black borders top and bottom). Place all in an old shed with no windows. Put on floor of said shed a sticky carpet and an old armchair and transport yourself back to the cinemas of yesteryear.

PS
Add in some cigarette butts and popcorn that is mainly too soft but which has a few bits in it hard enough to break your teeth and you will enhance the experience.

dragos240
March 2nd, 2010, 09:52 PM

It has an antenna.

swoll1980
March 2nd, 2010, 09:55 PM
Probably has the "screws and forks" connector. You have to get the adapter that has an f connector on one side and forks on the other.

The Toxic Mite
March 2nd, 2010, 09:57 PM
Team it up with an old VCR, many of which have built-in FM modulation. Transcode your Blu-Ray movies to the VCR (remembering to add in chunky black borders top and bottom). Place all in an old shed with no windows. Put on floor of said shed a sticky carpet and an old armchair and transport yourself back to the cinemas of yesteryear.

PS
Add in some cigarette butts and popcorn that is mainly too soft but which has a few bits in it hard enough to break your teeth and you will enhance the experience.

Nah, what you need is an A1 sheet of paper and a projector ;)

dragos240
March 2nd, 2010, 09:59 PM
Probably has the "screws and forks" connector. You have to get the adapter that has an f connector on one side and forks on the other.

It has 2 red knobs and 2 black knobs on it. There is one wire coming from the right black knob, and 2 wires coming from both of the reds. That must be what you're talking about.

swoll1980
March 2nd, 2010, 10:01 PM
It has 2 red knobs and 2 black knobs on it. There is one wire coming from the right black knob, and 2 wires coming from both of the reds. That must be what you're talking about.

That sounds like a "screws and forks like" connector, so yeah get the F to fork adapter. The black would be vhf, and red uhf, or vice versa.

ubunterooster
March 2nd, 2010, 10:05 PM
Are you saying you want to get/make a transmitter?
It's been a while since I fixed up one of those. But if you rrreeeeaaaalllllyyy want to and are willing to put hard work into it, I can help some.

dragos240
March 2nd, 2010, 10:11 PM
Are you saying you want to get/make a transmitter?
It's been a while since I fixed up one of those. But if you rrreeeeaaaalllllyyy want to and are willing to put hard work into it, I can help some.

So you can make those?

cariboo
March 2nd, 2010, 10:12 PM
As swoll1980, said all you need is the proper adaptor. Have a look at this page (http://www.summitsource.com/indoor-matching-transformer-75300-ohm-balun-antenna-magnavox-m61005-coax-cable-twin-lead-for-offair-signal-component-connection-adapter-converter-gold-balum-part-m61005-p-4846.html). Somewhere around here I have a whole box of them.

wojox
March 2nd, 2010, 10:15 PM
Those adapters their talking about you can find in Radio Shack. Probablly get some more input from them as well.

swoll1980
March 2nd, 2010, 10:16 PM
As swoll1980, said all you need is the proper adaptor. Have a look at this page (http://www.summitsource.com/indoor-matching-transformer-75300-ohm-balun-antenna-magnavox-m61005-coax-cable-twin-lead-for-offair-signal-component-connection-adapter-converter-gold-balum-part-m61005-p-4846.html). Somewhere around here I have a whole box of them.

You could even get medieval on it, and splice the cable right into it. just pull some of the braid of the cable twist it until it looks like a wire. pin that down with one screw. Pin the stiff copper wire in the middle down with the other screw.

pricetech
March 2nd, 2010, 10:22 PM
The adapter you're looking for is called a balun transformer (contraction of balanced / unbalanced)

For testing to see if it even works, use your VCR / DVD / whatever, as long as it has a coaxial cable coming out. Use the center conductor, skip the braid. Just touch the center conductor to one of the terminals and see what happens. Try all four since you don't know for certain which is VHF and which is UHF, but you'll need to connect to VHF and have the TV tuned to channel 3 or 4 to see anything.

And if you decide to open it, do be careful. The picture tube (CRT) is like a huge capacitor and can hold a deadly voltage for quite some time even after power has been removed.

dragos240
March 2nd, 2010, 10:22 PM

Wow! That's good. I can use those!

ubunterooster
March 2nd, 2010, 10:28 PM
So you can make those?

I'm a fast learner and before I saw linux all I had to fix was hardware. Transmitting/receiving devices were my favorite.

It takes plenty of time and every once in a while you might get the odd device that explodes [it only happened once]

The Toxic Mite
March 2nd, 2010, 10:38 PM
I'm a fast learner and before I saw linux all I had to fix was hardware. Transmitting/receiving devices were my favorite.

It takes plenty of time and every once in a while you might get the odd device that explodes [it only happened once]

So tell me, how long does it take for you to make a basic FM receiver? I'm not that good at electronics, to be honest. :-/

lisati
March 2nd, 2010, 10:50 PM
There might be hope for getting some use out of the old TV yet.

A few years back I saw an article in an electronics magazine that detailed how a regular (analog) TV could be adapted for use as a monitor. The basic idea was to do the equivalent of hooking up the AV plugs found on some appliances, in the days before consumer appliances actually them.

As has already been pointed out, some care is needed if you decide to poke around the insides of an old TV because of the voltages.

(An aside: I think our current TV was one of the last of its kind sold by the store we got it from, it has a CRT, as does the monitors for our old computers. Curious hangovers from the days of vacuum tube technology.)

ubunterooster
March 2nd, 2010, 11:05 PM
So tell me, how long does it take for you to make a basic FM receiver? I'm not that good at electronics, to be honest. :-/

For me 24-32 hours for a basic receiver. [I scrap parts from everywhere, and have only paid for soldering. Unless the joy is in the tinkering itself it's better to buy one. But, where's the glory?

It will likely take a good bit longer than 24hr. for one's first time build of a receiver. Transmitters are more difficult; say 60-80 hr project.

dragos240
March 2nd, 2010, 11:08 PM
This TV set endured the worst of the storm of last week. It still works, I can't believe it.

markp1989
March 2nd, 2010, 11:08 PM
how about you open it up, hollow it out, put in a lcd screen + a mini-itx pc and have a retro looking hd ready htpc :)

swoll1980
March 2nd, 2010, 11:14 PM
The curved screens really bother me now that I haven't owned one in over 6 years. Like watching TV through a fish bowl.

ubunterooster
March 2nd, 2010, 11:16 PM
I saw an article that detailed how a regular TV could be adapted for use as a monitor. The idea was to do the equivalent of hooking up the AV plugs found on some appliances.
Some care is needed because of the voltages.

Actually, amperage kills you, not voltage. [Very common misconception] The main risk of shock comes from: 1, the capacitors and 2, [the main culprit] the tube.

ubunterooster
March 2nd, 2010, 11:19 PM
how about you open it up, hollow it out, put in a lcd screen + a mini-itx pc and have a retro looking hd ready htpc :)
and paste pics when finished

swoll1980
March 2nd, 2010, 11:21 PM
Actually, amperage kills you, not voltage. [Very common misconception] The main risk of shock comes from: 1, the capacitors and 2, [the main culprit] the tube.

Perfect example is a stun gun. It has extremely high voltage, but no amperage.

dragos240
March 2nd, 2010, 11:23 PM

How long after it being unplugged is it safe to touch?

lisati
March 2nd, 2010, 11:24 PM

Yup, volts jolts but mills kills.

(/me thinks back to a day, some time around 1964, where I was playing around with a nail, a piece of wire, and a 240V electrical outlet. When I came to on the other side of the room....... Could account for a lot! :))

Post Monkeh
March 2nd, 2010, 11:35 PM

a higher voltage will give a higher amp potential.
people get confused because the us runs on a lower voltage than the uk, and thus the devices there are actually consuming a HIGHER current, but this doesn't relate to what will happen if the voltage is travelling through you.

240v running through the human body (average resistance of 100000 ohms, or if you're wet you've got a resistance of 1000 ohms) will give you a current of 2.4Ma when dry and 240Ma when wet.

on the other hand, the lower us voltage of 110v will give you 1.1Ma if you're dry, and 110Ma if you're wet.

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_3/4.html

Post Monkeh
March 2nd, 2010, 11:37 PM

because it is designed to deliver the minimum current.

it's the same as the old films you see of men lighting light bulbs with their tongue. they used very high voltages because then the amps required to light the lightblub were less than they would be at a lower voltage.

however, if you touch a 110v outlet, and a 240v outlet, the 240v outlet is more dangerous.

lisati
March 2nd, 2010, 11:40 PM
people get confused because the us runs on a lower voltage than the uk, and thus the devices there are actually consuming a HIGHER current, but this doesn't relate to what will happen if the voltage is travelling through you.

240v running through the human body (average resistance of 100000 ohms, or if you're wet you've got a resistance of 1000 ohms) will give you a current of 2.4Ma when dry and 240Ma when wet.

on the other hand, the lower us voltage of 110v will give you 1.2Ma if you're dry, and 110Ma if you're wet.

I agree, a higher voltage results in the potential for a higher amperage.
(I'm taken back to my student days, trying to remember enough of what I was taught to make a useful comment.)

Post Monkeh
March 2nd, 2010, 11:45 PM
I agree, a higher voltage results in the potential for a higher amperage.
(I'm taken back to my student days, trying to remember enough of what I was taught to make a useful comment.)

it's complicated. technically they're right, but it depends what you're doing. if the circuit is running between you and the ground then a higher voltage is more dangerous. yet the old guys who lit light bulbs with their tongue were only able to do it by running a HIGHER voltage through their body, which actually reduced the current running through their body (as a 100w lightbulb, for instance, will actually require LESS current at a higher voltage than it does at a lower voltage.)

samalex
March 2nd, 2010, 11:46 PM

Can you post a picture of it or post the make and model of it? That may help.

Granted you can wire-up an antenna you can either get an RF Modulator to connect anything you'd like to it. I just parted with two 25" old-school tube TV's while moving, and though they work, it's just not worth keeping them around anymore.

Heck I still have a 3" battery-powered TV in my nightstand I used to use for bad weather.. got it in the early 90's and still works great. Too bad it can't pick-up anything anymore.

Sam

dragos240
March 2nd, 2010, 11:59 PM
Can you post a picture of it or post the make and model of it? That may help.

Granted you can wire-up an antenna you can either get an RF Modulator to connect anything you'd like to it. I just parted with two 25" old-school tube TV's while moving, and though they work, it's just not worth keeping them around anymore.

Heck I still have a 3" battery-powered TV in my nightstand I used to use for bad weather.. got it in the early 90's and still works great. Too bad it can't pick-up anything anymore.

Sam

A model? Okay.

pricetech
March 3rd, 2010, 12:07 AM

Short answer is never. Yes it will discharge over time, but it's best to discharge it yourself before tinkering around inside.

A screwdriver and a heavy jumper wire to ground the screwdriver. Poke the end of the screwdriver under the boot for the high voltage lead and listen for a pop.

You'll see what I'm talking about once you open the back of the set. It's not as hard as it sounds.

pricetech
March 3rd, 2010, 12:12 AM
A model? Okay.

The black knobs are VHF. That's where you need to connect the balun transformer, or the center lead of the coax if you're just testing to see if it works.

ubunterooster
March 3rd, 2010, 12:12 AM
stun gun=high voltage+low amperage.true, or electric livestock fencing

It really varies. [seconds to months] Unplug it THEN turn it "on" w/ it still unplugged. This will drain the vast majority of left over power. Turn it back "off". Generally, avoid touching metal parts as much as possible.

240v running through the human body (avg resistance of 100,000 ohms, or wet, 1000 ohms) will give you a current of 2.4Ma when dry and 240Ma wet.

Lower US voltage of 110v will give you 1.1Ma if you're dry, and 110Ma if you're wet.
well said

depends what you're doing. if the circuit is running between you and the ground then a higher voltage is more dangerous.

wear sneakers, not regular workboots, use right hand as much as possible, wear rubber/thick latex gloves, and have somebody nearby.
[Common safety practices]

ubunterooster
March 3rd, 2010, 12:18 AM
Short answer is never.
A screwdriver and a heavy jumper wire to ground the screwdriver. Poke the end of the screwdriver under the boot for the high voltage lead and listen for a pop.

note: try the unplug then turn on method first then follow up w/ this one; this is really rough on them but is safe

sgosnell
March 3rd, 2010, 01:03 AM
You can buy a converter box rather cheaply to make it receive digital signals. I still have a couple of TVs around that use them. The government will send you a coupon that will pay for most or all the cost. You can buy them at almost any electronics shop, even WalMart.

Be careful of the picture tube. They carry 30,000 volts or so, and are also capacitors. If you touch the place where the high-voltage lead connects, you can discharge the capacitor with accompanying pain. I've seen voltage leap 8 inches or more from a disconnected high-voltage lead to a person's finger, while the set was turned on for testing. I've discharged the picture tube many times while working on older TVs while inside the cabinet, usually resulting in injury. When the shock occurs, my hand would jump involuntarily, resulting in impact damage to the back of my hand from projections, often bringing some blood. No lasting damage, other than to my pride. It's not nice to curse in front of female customers in their homes. :D

Don't mess with it, just get a converter and use it as a TV. That's the safest and most economical way to go.

dragos240
March 3rd, 2010, 01:06 AM
Well, consider this topic over. I had to return the TV, my parents called it junk, they didn't want it around either one of their homes. It would be better than my HUGE TV that takes up most of my room space, keep in mind, my room is very small, so even a cart with a TV on it, is very big. Sometimes I don't understand the reasons why they do things.

sgosnell
March 3rd, 2010, 01:20 AM
Children never understand why their parents do things, and never have, and never will. Until they grow up, and then somewhere along the line it dawns on them, when they have their own kids.

dragos240
March 3rd, 2010, 01:22 AM
Children never understand why their parents do things, and never have, and never will. Until they grow up, and then somewhere along the line it dawns on them, when they have their own kids.

Assuming they plan to have them. I sure don't, but I just find it convenient to have a smaller TV.

pricetech
March 3rd, 2010, 01:27 AM
When I was young, I was immortal and I knew everything.

As I have grown older I have become mortal and apparently forgot most of what I knew.

Such is life.

Tibuda
March 3rd, 2010, 01:27 AM
Assuming they plan to have them. I sure don't, but I just find it convenient to have a smaller TV.

Plans change as you get old.

When I was a kid, I didn't plan to do many things I have done and that I plan to do now.

The Real Dave
March 3rd, 2010, 01:30 AM
There's a PopSci issue with a project using a retro TV and some sort of converter to playback videos from an iPod. I couldn't find it on the net though, but I did find this (http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2009-09/star-wars-gaming-rig), remembering that your into retro gaming :)

sgosnell
March 3rd, 2010, 01:33 AM
Just because you don't plan to have children now, that doesn't mean you won't. Plans change, and stuff happens without any planning. Trust me on that.

ubunterooster
March 3rd, 2010, 01:35 AM
But if you never have kids, they'll never be able to question what [or if] you where thinking. Who wants to live unquestioned? It's natural. It's the circle of life: be born, be misunderstood by parents, get married and have kids, be misunderstood by kids, die, be misrepresented forever.

Misunderstanding and lack of listening is what tears families apart. Most else can be healed

[except burnt cookies. They will never be healed]

audiomick
March 3rd, 2010, 01:46 AM
... Place all in an old shed with no windows. Put on floor of said shed a sticky carpet and an old armchair and transport yourself back to the cinemas of yesteryear.

PS
Most important advice in the entire thread...;)