PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] gnome desktop right click menu

Post Monkeh
March 2nd, 2010, 08:21 PM
i have nautilus actions installed and i've been wondering if there's any way to set it so that when i right click the desktop, i can have a menu in there similar or identical to the main applications menu?

i've read a few guides about using xautomation to initiate an alt & f1, but the problem is it just brings up the menu up at the panel.
i also read about a compiz menu, but i don't want to lose my default right click menu, just add to it.

pastalavista
March 2nd, 2010, 08:34 PM
You could try 'nautilus-actions'

sudo apt-get install nautilus-actions

It lets you add almost anything. It'll appear in the System|Preferences menu.

Post Monkeh
March 2nd, 2010, 09:10 PM
You could try 'nautilus-actions'

sudo apt-get install nautilus-actions

It lets you add almost anything. It'll appear in the System|Preferences menu.

read the first 5 words of my post ;)

pastalavista
March 2nd, 2010, 09:31 PM
read the first 5 words of my post ;)
Sorry about my short attention span. :P I can't get nautilus-actions to work at all on Lucid Lynx.

I bet you'd enjoy CrunchBang Linux (http://crunchbanglinux.org/wiki/about). It's based on Ubuntu but uses the openbox window manager (which you could install on Ubuntu if you dare) and it has menus like you want.

Post Monkeh
March 2nd, 2010, 09:49 PM
Sorry about my short attention span. :P I can't get nautilus-actions to work at all on Lucid Lynx.

I bet you'd enjoy CrunchBang Linux (http://crunchbanglinux.org/wiki/about). It's based on Ubuntu but uses the openbox window manager (which you could install on Ubuntu if you dare) and it has menus like you want.

i've tried it, and i like it except that for some reason apps like firefox and opera are reeeeaaaallllyyy slow to restore from being minimised if they have a few tabs open. i've installed it over ubuntu and on an external drive and it does the same thing on both.
i've considered seeing if there's any way i could use openbox to JUST provide a right click menu on the desktop and decorate my windows, then have nautilus take care of everything within its own windows, but i was just wondering if the nautilus-actions could provide some sort of access to my main menu.

urukrama
March 3rd, 2010, 12:17 PM
i've considered seeing if there's any way i could use openbox to JUST provide a right click menu on the desktop and decorate my windows, then have nautilus take care of everything within its own windows, but i was just wondering if the nautilus-actions could provide some sort of access to my main menu.

You can use Openbox in Gnome. If you install Openbox from the repositories (with Synaptic or through aptitude install openbox), select the Openbox-Gnome session in your login manager. You will then run Gnome with Openbox as the window manager, instead of Metacity.

If you search through the forums, you'll find a lot of threads on this topic. See this post (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5136862&postcount=9) for some of them.

Post Monkeh
March 3rd, 2010, 01:11 PM
You can use Openbox in Gnome. If you install Openbox from the repositories (with Synaptic or through aptitude install openbox), select the Openbox-Gnome session in your login manager. You will then run Gnome with Openbox as the window manager, instead of Metacity.

If you search through the forums, you'll find a lot of threads on this topic. See this post (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5136862&postcount=9) for some of them.

i've tried openbox and while there are parts of it i like, it doesn't seem to like opera or firefox and restores their windows very slowly after they're minimised.

all of the threads i found described replacing the right click menu entirely, i just want to add functionality rather than replace what's already there.

i think i'll look into compiz-deskmenu, and initiate it with a keyboard shortcut rather than a desktop click

urukrama
March 3rd, 2010, 08:37 PM
all of the threads i found described replacing the right click menu entirely

Not all the one I linked to do. Some discuss how you can add options to the menu with nautilus-scripts. Perhaps that is what you are looking for?

hariks0
March 23rd, 2010, 08:11 AM
If you want the main menu at the mouse cursor, remove the main menu/menu bar applet from the panel and press Alt+F1. If you bind a mouse click action [say, Ctrl+Right Click as I have done] the same could be done any where on the desktop. See the attachment.

Follow the link at my signature if you want to know how.:popcorn:

Clmmteverest
October 14th, 2010, 12:46 PM
If you are still interested in using nautilus-actions the solution is to define a new scheme in the Advanced Conditions tab which has the name "x-nautilus-desktop". Select only the one you just created. I have both selection and location checked under the Actions tab, and the folder is set to "/".

I set up a background switcher using that method and it works perfectly.

malspa
May 25th, 2011, 09:05 PM
I got this to work in Lucid, using nautilus-actions. I was able to add an entry to the right-click menu on the desktop for an application. Still playing around with this since I don't know exactly what I'm doing, after installing nautilus-actions:

- Added a new action, gave it a name, checked the boxes for selection context menu and location context menu.

- Entered the path for the command on the Command tab.

- On the Advanced conditions tab, I added the scheme "x-nautilus-desktop." I think you have to make sure that's the only scheme checked.

- Then I logged out of GNOME and back in.

That's cool, but what I'd like to do is add an entry for the main menu, or for a submenu. Is that possible?

malspa
May 25th, 2011, 11:37 PM
Well, in Lucid I added gnome-main-menu, and I added that in the Nautilus Actions Configuration Tool using the command /usr/lib/gnome-main-menu/application-browser. So that brings up the Application Browser. Closest I've been able to get to being able to bring up the main menu by right-clicking on the desktop.

My desktop's right-click menu looks like this at the moment (see attached thumbnail).