PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Applications on Ubuntu 9.10 without Internet Connection

jamoore87
March 2nd, 2010, 07:33 PM
Hi,

I just recently Ubuntu 9.10 and have never used Linux at all before. I was wondering, all the links and tips and everything tell me to use Ubuntu Software Center. I haven't had a chance to actually go to the Software Center yet but does it require an internet connection to install software or can I download the tar.gz / tar.bz2 files from sources such as Softpedia.com and still install them using Software Center without a Internet Connection?

Thanks,
Jeremy

ubunterooster
March 2nd, 2010, 07:38 PM
The ubuntu softare center does require internet. :(
If you download the files, you can go to Synaptic and add the media to the sources list, installing them there.

jamoore87
March 11th, 2010, 08:48 PM
The ubuntu softare center does require internet. :(
If you download the files, you can go to Synaptic and add the media to the sources list, installing them there.

So, using Synaptic, I should be able to download from the internet on my other computer and then use Synaptic to install the programs?

Thanks for you time,
J Denton

ubunterooster
March 11th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Yes, that should work. There is a possibility of dependency errors due to packages already installed on the internet-connected-computer that are required by the program but ignored by synaptic because they are already on that computer.