PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Need Install VLC on Ubuntu without Internet [Beagleboard]

avi@nitc
March 2nd, 2010, 06:48 PM
Hi all,
I am a Newbie to linux, And

I am trying to install VLC player on OMAP based beagleboard[BB], which has Ubuntu 9.04 OS, without GUI [no X].

There is no Internet connectivity on Beagleboard. I did not find any How-to for this case.

I need VLC to receive a stream of data from an AdHoc network and display. Which are the essential libraries i need to install. and how do i do that.

Do I need to download and install VLC on BB, as I do on Intel machines.
Or, do I need to cross compile, as OMAP is an ARM based processor. if so, How do I do that.

As i am not using GUI , guess vlc-nox should be sufficient.

Regards
Avinash

avi@nitc
March 3rd, 2010, 07:41 AM
Hi,

:( not much hlp,

I found out that i can use
$ sudo dpkg -i package.deb

to install debian packages. I downloaded vlc-nox for armel machine [Beagleboard] from
http://packages.debian.org/lenny/armel/vlc-nox/download

when i do dpkg on beagle board, it throws tens of error message, saying dependent libraries not found.

I understand i need to install depedent libraries. but my question is ,
Do I have to download each n every lib mannually and install, or am I doing it completely wrong?

Please suggest, Thanks in advance.

Regards
Avinash

ImperialXT
March 3rd, 2010, 08:32 AM
Why do you need VLC? wouldn't it be better to use mplayer?

avi@nitc
March 3rd, 2010, 12:15 PM
I don't know if mplayer is able to read stream from network? [Please let me know if I am wrong]

But have tested VLC player to do that.

I am Live streaming the desktop captured from my laptop using FFMPEG + FFSERVER, over a WiFi Adhoc Network. and trying to read the stream at BeagleBoard using WiFi USB adapter. This is where i need to install VLC Player.

Regards
Avinash

avi@nitc
March 4th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Yeah!! managed to solve the problem :)

Got help from Beagleboard mailing list :)
http://groups.google.com/group/beagleboard/browse_thread/thread/22d980bab9da9214#

Thought this could help newbie's like me looking for ubuntu for OMAP based Beagleboard.

Regards
Avinash