PDA

View Full Version : How to overclock my computer?

QueenZ
March 2nd, 2010, 06:46 PM
Xubuntu 9.10
ASUS EeePC 701

How can i overclock my laptop, what software do i need to use?

Frogs Hair
March 2nd, 2010, 07:33 PM
Hi Queenz,

First, search over clocking Linux and read and learn all you can . Next , you have to install software . http://www.overclock.net/linux/unix Last, Spend lots of time on OC forums and get all your questions answered and proceed with caution. Unless your a hard-core gamer or running apps the require extra speed I wouldn't bother. Voiding the warranty on your hardware is not worth it, just to satisfy you curiosity .

Good Luck !

dabl
March 2nd, 2010, 07:43 PM
Follow this thread:

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=8808

FYI, the overclock really does not make a noticeable difference on browsing, e-mailing, and stuff like that. You have to be doing something pretty CPU-intensive to notice the difference.

swoll1980
March 2nd, 2010, 09:15 PM
Overclocking a laptop probably isn't a good idea either. They're hard enough to keep cool as it is.

Nickedynick
March 2nd, 2010, 09:30 PM
Overclocking a laptop probably isn't a good idea either. They're hard enough to keep cool as it is.

Especially on an eeePC, aren't they underclocked by default so that they don't need cooling fans?

LowSky
March 2nd, 2010, 09:56 PM
I opened this thread expecting someone with a desktop, but what do I see, why someone trying to overclock a netbook. Oh how I laughed!

Best you can try to do is add more RAM, if its even possible.

whiskeylover
March 2nd, 2010, 09:58 PM
Up the voltage to a 1000 V. *

* Disclaimer: Dont!

dabl
March 3rd, 2010, 09:09 PM
Especially on an eeePC, aren't they underclocked by default so that they don't need cooling fans?

They (4G/701) are way underclocked by design, for reasons (AFAIK) not related to thermal considerations. I think it was an Asus decision based on "cheap parts". So the linked thread shows where a guy came up with a "clock value poker" to adjust the FSB speed on the running system (it only affects the booted session, and returns to default after shutdown). It's a little clunky -- I wrote a short script to minimize the keystrokes, but you still have to remember to find it and run it every time if you want the speedier clock.

My Eee PC is used exclusively by my wife for browser work these days. She doesn't know about the overclocking script, and wouldn't be interested. :D

undecim
March 3rd, 2010, 09:56 PM
don't

The Real Dave
March 3rd, 2010, 10:57 PM
You've the 1.6Atom CPU right? Your not going to be able to OC it much, maybe to 1.8Ghz. That's not going to make a huge difference, and with a netbook, it's just not worth it. The little thing will fry in your lap. It just doesn't have the cooling necessary.

Take out the mobo, make a custom case, upgrade the RAM to the max, and add some good cooling solutions, and then overclock it to whatever you want :) But it's still not going to be a big improvement ;)