PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] I cant; make up my mind

NikitaUtiu
March 2nd, 2010, 06:08 PM
I have been using ubuntu for several months, but I have recently installed KDE. I really got used to GNOME, but KDE seems interesting too. Please, if you could show me some pros and cons for each of the two GUI, or something that could make me come to a decision, because I don't like switching from one GUI to another.

bruno9779
March 2nd, 2010, 06:50 PM
I am not too fond of KDE.
My first ubuntu installation was KDE 3.x.

at that time it looked uglier than gnome, but a tad faster on the ancient laptop I had back then.

Still I switched soon after to gnome, the menu layout being the main reason.

After KDE 4.x things have changed. KDE is very glossy and looks real good, so good that I find it bloated.

Oh, I also find extremely annoying the "K" naming convention:
konsole, ktorrent, kate, akonadi, kaffeine, amarok......

I also find surprising no one complained for Kubuntu Karmic Koala's KKK......

keforex
March 2nd, 2010, 09:00 PM
I have tried pretty much all main distributions out there. I thought KDE was nice looking so I gave it a try. Not worth it. It's unstable, it loads X when it wants to.

I have tried Xubuntu (which is very fast, no useless eye candy effects) and now I am using Linux Mint and I am liking it a lot. Very simple gnome interface and very intuitive.

Ubuntu is better when it comes to boot times. It's up and running in no time. I also tried Suse and Mandriva. They're both good, but so far Linux Mint is a winner in my book. It's based on debian/ubuntu.

dyltman
March 2nd, 2010, 09:07 PM
I have tried pretty much all main distributions out there. I thought KDE was nice looking so I gave it a try. Not worth it. It's unstable, it loads X when it wants to.

I have tried Xubuntu (which is very fast, no useless eye candy effects) and now I am using Linux Mint and I am liking it a lot. Very simple gnome interface and very intuitive.

Ubuntu is better when it comes to boot times. It's up and running in no time. I also tried Suse and Mandriva. They're both good, but so far Linux Mint is a winner in my book. It's based on debian/ubuntu.

except that we're talking about Desktop environments.

KDE is - in my opinion really annoying to use and I've given it countless of chances. Gnome is better for customization and got alot more themes available.

KDE is also quite buggy and I get loads of crashes and bugs often, gnome is as stable as well... stable?

Z06Gal
March 3rd, 2010, 05:48 AM
I tried kde a couple times but, for some reason, it knocks out my wifi every time. I liked the way it looked but I had a number of issues with it. Gnome is bulletproof for me as well as being very user friendly and dependable. ;)

NikitaUtiu
March 6th, 2010, 03:06 PM
I gave your advice some thought and I decided to stick to GNOME.
Thanks! :D