PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ATI Xpress 200 chipset compatibility?

ram2500
March 2nd, 2010, 02:48 AM
Hello there,

I purchased two HP dx5150 desktops for my nephews for both with the ATI Xpress 200 chipset, and plan to install Ubuntu on it for them. I did a little research to see if there were any compatibility problems with the chipset (there was) but the questions were asked a long time ago. Does anyone have an HP dx5150 and/or ATI Xpress 200 chipset with Ubuntu installed on it? I have already ordered them off of eBay, and I figured
that these HPs would be a great birthday present for them to replace their "newer but falling apart" Dell computer:p considering that they have an Athlon 64 processor and 2 GB of RAM (no OS, though.)

Will I have trouble with the ATI chipset (will there be installation and/or stability problems)? I plan to install Ubuntu 9.10 on them. I didn't get them yet, but they should be in sometime next week.

hansdown
March 2nd, 2010, 03:24 AM
Hi ram2500.

I'm looking at this site.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver

Your chipset seems to work.

No promises, though.

Mark Phelps
March 2nd, 2010, 03:31 PM
Ubuntu 9.10 will work fine with your ATI chipsets -- but you will be relegated to using the open source drivers.

Good news is that these will be installed by default, so there is nothing you have to do to make that happen.

Bad news is that there are no ATI restricted drivers that will work your your chipset and Ubuntu 9.x versions.

So, as long as you're not trying to do 3D accelerated gaming, you should be OK.