PDA

View Full Version : What can we do about angry Gurus?

Johnsie
March 1st, 2010, 11:25 PM
Linux often is often given the stereotype that it's difficult to ask for help because you might get flamed:

http://www.bash.org/?152037

Today I decided to try out Lernid because I wanted to learn more about oopen source developement. I noticed that the interface looked a bit like an IRC client. So the very first thing I said was:

Is this an IRC?

This was about 10 minutes prior to the seminar starting when people were gathering.

Immediately one of the Gurus who I think may have been involved in the Seminar was quite rude to me in front of all the other people in the room.

That was my first experience with Lernid. It was not a good first impression. I quickly ended the conversation, hit the X button and closed the application down. There's a big Internet out there and I don't need to waste my time with people who are rude to me.

Things like this can discourage people from wanting to participate with Ubuntu. Is there a code of conduct for community facing representatives or are they just allowed to do this kind of thing?

I think there should be a code of conduct and that community facing representatives should try better to give a positive answer to people who simply want to learn. It doesn't hurt to be nice sometimes, even if the question may sound stupid. Just my opinion. Has anyone experienced anything similar?

23meg
March 1st, 2010, 11:34 PM
Things like this can discourage people from wanting to participate with Ubuntu. Is there a code of conduct for community facing representatives or are they just allowed to do this kind of thing?

There's the well known Ubuntu CoC (http://www.ubuntu.com/community/conduct), and for leaders, a separate "Leadership CoC (http://www.ubuntu.com/community/leadership-conduct)".

If you note that certain people are consistently violating either, and it's causing damage, you can raise the issue to be looked at by the Community Council (http://www.ubuntu.com/community/processes/council), or other relevant council, if any.

azagaros
March 1st, 2010, 11:37 PM
I understand where you are coming from, but it isn't isolated to the guru's of Linux.. You should experience it in World of Warcraft sometime.

Its more about the boredom and the time people have to make other people feel more miserable than themselves. This is a way to find a quick laugh?

fatality_uk
March 1st, 2010, 11:38 PM
Johnsie, I can guarantee that if you visit a plumbing forum, a drain cover forum or indeed and architecture forum, there are self-appointed gurus!!! It's human nature I am afraid!

Fenris_rising
March 1st, 2010, 11:39 PM
Join the Debian forum and mention you have tried Ubuntu. I left within the same hour I joined and stuck with Ubuntu.

regards

Fenris

Johnsie
March 1st, 2010, 11:45 PM
lol, I read the Arch forums once and that was pretty bad hehe :-)

I guess there's alot of people in the world with low self esteem that need to put people down to make themselves feel better. The internet is a good place to do that because you won't get a black eye if you mouth off at the wrong person ;-) I can understand that because I'm a programmer myself and am a bit lacking in social skills.

I think the key for dealing with angry Gurus is probably just to remember why they are angry, feel a bit sorry for them and then just do /ignore on them ;-)

There are plenty of other places and other things out there to learn.

handy
March 1st, 2010, 11:47 PM
Unfortunately, some people would rather kick the cat than be kind...

More unfortunate is when such people have an element of control in a situation or set of circumstances.

Just know that it is their problem & do your best not to react, as difficult as it may be. Sometimes you can make fun of the situation. ;)

Occasionally there is a higher authority that can be notified of the situation, which may or may not have any effect.

x3roconf
March 1st, 2010, 11:49 PM
I like insulting noobs- It's funny :twisted:

Johnsie
March 1st, 2010, 11:54 PM
lol, to me you're the noob.. but don't worry I'm not going to make fun of you :D

t0p
March 2nd, 2010, 12:08 AM
Occasionally there is a higher authority that can be notified of the situation, which may or may not have any effect.

I can understand that the OP might want to do something so newcomers to the community aren't scared off by a nasty so-called "guru". But if the OP (or someone else) wants to do something just because his feelings have been hurt: I suggest he forgets about it.

In all communities there are people who can seem brusque or rude; and there are many possible reasons for the brusqueness: maybe the person in question is sick and tired of answering what he sees as "stupid questions"; maybe he wishes people would google before asking questions; maybe he likes annoying and humiliating people. But whatever his reason for acting like an idiot, try to remember that it's his problem. At the end of the day, does it really matter to you if this so-called "guru" acts like an idiot? You don't have to pay any attention to him. You can choose to ignore his comments - and I would suggest that that's the best thing to do. Pretend he doesn't exist.

Telling on people because they've upset you is often just as childish as whatever it is they've done to you. So forget them. If you have a question to ask, ask it. If someone can help you, they probably will. And if no one does help, maybe you just need to do a bit of research before asking your questions. Quite often, so-called "gurus" get annoyed because they feel people just ask for help when they could figure stuff out for themselves. If you make it clear that you have tried to work stuff out, these so-called "gurus" will react much more positively. And if they're still negative... screw 'em!

RichardLinx
March 2nd, 2010, 12:25 AM
Maybe the guy was just having a bad day? Or maybe he's just a big jerk! Either way there isn't a whole lot you can do about it. If he was rude to you and you left saying something along the lines of:

"I don't need to stay here and listen to this if that's how you're going to speak to me."

Then I wouldn't be surprised if a few other people in the chat room criticized him for the way he responded to you. Elitest Gurus/Possible Jerks would get a good lesson from that.

handy
March 2nd, 2010, 12:43 AM
I can understand that the OP might want to do something so newcomers to the community aren't scared off by a nasty so-called "guru". But if the OP (or someone else) wants to do something just because his feelings have been hurt: I suggest he forgets about it.

Reacting negatively to a someone being disrespectful to you means that you have lost control of yourself.

No matter what the circumstances, if we behave in a rude or disrespectful manner, we have let ourselves down.

Easy words to say, sometimes so very hard to follow.

thatguruguy
March 2nd, 2010, 12:50 AM
Reacting negatively to a someone being disrespectful to you means that you have lost control of yourself.

No matter what the circumstances, if we behave in a rude or disrespectful manner, we have let ourselves down.

Easy words to say, sometimes so very hard to follow.

That presumes that it is impossible to be negative without being disrespectful or rude. Which is simply wrong.

There's a wealth of information out on the wide, wide world of webs about the fact that suppression of negative emotions is unhealthy. It is much healthier to find an appropriate way to express those negative feelings than it is just to swallow them.

For instance, sometimes I'll get angry about something someone will write online. Rather than just sitting, fuming and repressing those feelings of anger, I'll get up from the computer. Then, I'll take a nice long walk outside to unwind. And then, while walking, I'll just walk up to the first stranger I see and punch him in the face.

RichardLinx
March 2nd, 2010, 01:20 AM
For instance, sometimes I'll get angry about something someone will write online. Rather than just sitting, fuming and repressing those feelings of anger, I'll get up from the computer. Then, I'll take a nice long walk outside to unwind. And then, while walking, I'll just walk up to the first stranger I see and punch him in the face.

Your solution.. It's beautiful.

KiwiNZ
March 2nd, 2010, 01:25 AM
That presumes that it is impossible to be negative without being disrespectful or rude. Which is simply wrong.

There's a wealth of information out on the wide, wide world of webs about the fact that suppression of negative emotions is unhealthy. It is much healthier to find an appropriate way to express those negative feelings than it is just to swallow them.

And with that inappropriate comment

Thread closed