PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ADOBE CS4 Master Collection - Ubuntu Karmic BIG ISSUE

CrazyDogster
March 1st, 2010, 10:35 PM
Hello guys

First of all I would like to mention that I'm quite desperate in finding a solution about this issue: I want to be able to install all the ADOBE CS4 suite under UBUNTU Karmic with WINE.

I a very new Linux user but already I'm pretty ready to dump the WIN system.. IF.. i can get a solution to this. All day long I've tried different implementations, using wine, repacking it with a patch, so on and so forth.

I've managed to install Photoshop CS4 portable.. BUT IT LAGS quite a bit.

I'm not sure if any of you guys actually know about correctly installing and running smoothly ADOBE CS4 as I am tied to it.

And the second is: I can't get the WACOM BAMBOO tablet to run... it doesn't install at all and I've tried almost everything I've layed my eyes on.

Thank you for your patience and please bare with me if my noobist nature asked stupid questions.. just want a viable working solution to this so that I can use Linux basically forever :)

Thank you in advance,
Dani

Vostrocity
March 2nd, 2010, 12:00 AM
I'm not sure if you realize this, but WINE does not enable all Windows apps to run under Linux. You will usually save yourself some time if you check WINE's AppDB for compatibility before you try installing yourself. For example, here's (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?bIsQueue=false&bIsRejected=false&sClass=vendor&iId=12&sAction=view&sTitle=View+Developer) the AppDB page for Adobe software. As you can see, only some components of CS4 will work. In fact, Adobe software is one of the biggest reasons why people dual-boot Windows. If you have a strong computer, you can also setup a VM (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VirtualBox) with VirtualBox.

About the Wacom Bamboo, I actually have one too, but I never bothered getting it to work 100% on Linux (I don't use it much anyway). I'm not sure if you're still concerned in getting it to work if you can't get CS4 to work first.

CrazyDogster
March 2nd, 2010, 05:17 AM
Hey .. thank you for your reply

hmm... that is actually a sad thing your are telling me :(

I'm not sure how virtualization will affect the work flow but I'll sure give it a try.
Hope someone fixes (if there is something that can be fixed) this.

Thanks again,
Dani