PDA

View Full Version : Want to buy an Ubuntu computer

JDShu
March 1st, 2010, 07:15 PM
Hey guys, my laptop is falling apart. 2 of the 3 usb ports broken, keyboard doesn't work, battery life is really short.. bah.

Anyway, I'm thinking of ordering a desktop from System76 or ZaReason and get one of their computers for as cheap as possible. I'm fine with the specs my current computer has and I would like to know what kind of hardware today might match it so I can get a starting point on how much I should be willing to pay.

My laptop is a Samsung Q310 with an Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile Processor P8600 at 2.4 Ghz, 3MB Cache and 4MB RAM. The graphics card is a GeForce 9200M GS but I plan to separately buy an ATI card.

Any idea of what combination of hardware on a desktop would match this system? I haven't been keeping up with the latest technology so with all the new stuff, I'm not sure how things may have gotten cheaper.

mickie.kext
March 1st, 2010, 07:22 PM
My laptop is a Samsung Q310 with an Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile Processor P8600 at 2.4 Ghz, 3MB Cache and 4MB RAM. The graphics card is a GeForce 9200M GS but I plan to separately buy an ATI card.

How do you figure to change graphics card on Laptop?

PS: It is very expensive when possible. MXM card for NVIDIA cost like half of new laptop and often more. I am not sure if ATI can be put in MXM slot.

JDShu
March 1st, 2010, 07:28 PM
ahh sorry, I guess I didn't make myself clear. I plan to buy a desktop to replace my laptop (which currently may as well be a desktop, as its on top of a cooling pad with an external keyboard and mouse)

gymophett
March 1st, 2010, 07:34 PM
In my opinion, the prices at System76 are ridiculously high.
I haven't really checked out ZaReason very much, but their prices seem more reasonable.

If it were my choice though, I'd build my own with correct hardware or get someone to build it for me.

audiomick
March 1st, 2010, 07:35 PM
Why not stick with the nVidia card? I am very happy with mine.

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G84 [GeForce 8600 GT] (rev a1)

edit: gymophett has a point

If it were my choice though, I'd build my own with correct hardware or get someone to build it for me.
That is what I did: went to a medium sized chain store here (I don't like really big chain store discounters personally) and, with a bit of consultation, put together a box without an OS from their parts list and let them build it. The only thing that I am not happy with is that I chose Samsung drives. They work, but have proven to be a bit sulky, also in my NAS.

Installing Ubuntu on a new box is so easy that it is not really worth paying someone to do it. As far as the hardware goes, if the shop can't advise you about Linux compatibility, there is always the hardware compatibility page in the docs and the forum.

spcwingo
March 1st, 2010, 07:41 PM
I believe Dell also offers Ubuntu preinstalled...at least they used to.

julianb
March 1st, 2010, 07:55 PM
Dell is offering computers with the most recent version of Ubuntu (9.10).

This is good news to me because last time I looked, they were selling computers pre-installed with an older Ubuntu version, missing some significant new software improvements that have come out in the last couple years.

JDShu
March 1st, 2010, 08:01 PM
lol I want to get system76 or zareason for ideological reasons (and also because I'm lazy). I'm also planning to get ATI because its open source and I want to play around with it. Again, ideological reasons.

Anyway, my reasons don't really matter, I just want to know what kind of desktop processor these days would match my laptop's processor and maybe how much RAM I would need to utilize it well.

mickie.kext
March 1st, 2010, 08:11 PM
lol I want to get system76 or zareason for ideological reasons (and also because I'm lazy). I'm also planning to get ATI because its open source and I want to play around with it. Again, ideological reasons.

Anyway, my reasons don't really matter, I just want to know what kind of desktop processor these days would match my laptop's processor and maybe how much RAM I would need to utilize it well.

I suggest you look at this: http://zareason.com/shop/product.php?productid=16228&cat=249&page=1

AMD Breeze 3440
Selected options:

AMD Processor: Phenom II X4 945
Desktop - RAM: 4 GB DDR2-800
Desktop - HD1 - 250-2000 GB: 500 GB
Optical Drive: CD-RW/DVD-RW
Desktop - OS - Ubuntu 9.10: Ubuntu 9.10

It has integrated NVIDIA, Quad core AMD and cost about 725$. Bad thing is that I do not know if it has space for additional graphics card since chassis is rather small. You have to call and ask. If price is to big, I suggest to again call and ask for other processor options because those Sempron LE, Athlon 6000+ and Phenom 8xxx x3 offered are pretty lame for today standards. I also do not know if they have monitor included. But this is about best deal you can get from what I can se on ZaReason site. System76 is more expensive and it is Intel-only. Low-end Intel CPUs have cripled feature set so I do not recommend that.

WinterMadness
March 1st, 2010, 08:33 PM
I haven't really checked out ZaReason very much, but their prices seem more reasonable.

i agree, and most of thelaptops have crappy resolutions

gn2
March 1st, 2010, 08:35 PM
The link in my signature might be useful.

JDShu
March 1st, 2010, 08:47 PM
I suggest you look at this: http://zareason.com/shop/product.php?productid=16228&cat=249&page=1
It has integrated NVIDIA, Quad core AMD and cost about 725$. Bad thing is that I do not know if it has space for additional graphics card since chassis is rather small. You have to call and ask. If price is to big, I suggest to again call and ask for other processor options because those Sempron LE, Athlon 6000+ and Phenom 8xxx x3 offered are pretty lame for today standards. I also do not know if they have monitor included. But this is about best deal you can get from what I can se on ZaReason site. System76 is more expensive and it is Intel-only. Low-end Intel CPUs have cripled feature set so I do not recommend that.

Thanks! This got me in the right direction of thinking. I decided to look up the processor you recommended and found a benchmark site. I think I've made a decision now thanks to your advice!

ssam
March 1st, 2010, 09:01 PM

having tech support that covers linux can be handy though. also knowing that all the components have been chosen to work well with linux. thats why i got my netbook from linuxemporium and my desktop from dnuk. there is a good database of vendors at http://nakedcomputers.org/

samalex
March 1st, 2010, 09:05 PM
Hey guys, my laptop is falling apart. 2 of the 3 usb ports broken, keyboard doesn't work, battery life is really short.. bah.

Anyway, I'm thinking of ordering a desktop from System76 or ZaReason and get one of their computers for as cheap as possible. I'm fine with the specs my current computer has and I would like to know what kind of hardware today might match it so I can get a starting point on how much I should be willing to pay.

Any idea of what combination of hardware on a desktop would match this system? I haven't been keeping up with the latest technology so with all the new stuff, I'm not sure how things may have gotten cheaper.

For a desktop I'm with others in building from scratch if you can, but honestly for a vendor selling Linux pre-installed I think System76 is the way to go.

Before I bought my System76 laptop I did a spreadsheet comparing all the specs they offered along side most other vendors and I found for the laptop I got the price was actually VERY reasonable. If someone wants to say they're too high I'd like to see some price comparisons. I'm hunting for the spreadsheet I put together now, but it was from last summer so the specs and prices have all changed since then.

Also you can't beat their support. Just side over to their forum (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=341) and drop some questions. I did check out ZaReason and Dell as well before going with System76, but it seemed they were behind in releasing the latest version of Ubuntu plus had mediocre support if that. System76 has the newest version of Ubuntu available on their systems the day it's released plus their support can't be beat.

Take care --

Sam

audiomick
March 1st, 2010, 09:37 PM
lol I want to get system76 or zareason for ideological reasons
(and also because I'm lazy). I'm also planning to get ATI because its open source and I want to play around with it. Again, ideological reasons.
With you all the way.:popcorn:

standingwave
March 1st, 2010, 10:19 PM
... last time I looked, they were selling computers pre-installed with an older Ubuntu version, missing some significant new software improvements that have come out in the last couple years.Oh, it's nice but I don't think it's that much of an issue as I would just replace the installed system with the latest version anyway. At least I would know that 1) the hardware is compatible and 2) installing Linux won't void my warranty. Even if Dell shipped with the latest release I would still be upgrading/reinstalling when the next release became available.

MasterNetra
March 1st, 2010, 10:48 PM

Ridiculously high? You'd pay more at dell for the same level of hardware.

But yea building your own machine is cheaper.

Edit: Checked out ZaReason they and system 76 are kinda close in prices with ZaReason being a bit higher.

JDShu
March 1st, 2010, 11:16 PM
I placed my order :)

I went with the Limbo 2110 from ZaReason and upgraded the processor to a Core 2 Duo E7400 which does a bit better on this benchmarking (http://www.cpubenchmark.net/common_cpus.html) site than my previous processor, so at least its comparable. Total $388 USD plus shipping, which is not too bad. I'll probably buy some RAM from a cheaper source. You can buy enclosures for laptop CD-ROM drives right?

KegHead
March 1st, 2010, 11:32 PM
Hi!

I built my own Atom 330 based desktop.

160 gb hd, 2 gb ram.

Running 9.10.

Very pleased with the performance w/acer 15.6 lcd monitor.

KegHead

KegHead
March 1st, 2010, 11:33 PM
Ops!

Under $350.00 USD.

KegHead