PDA

View Full Version : What's going on...?

Gumm
March 1st, 2010, 05:50 PM
So I installed Ubuntu Karmic right over Windows 7 on my GF's laptop. During the install, I noticed that the machine time is set to 2 hours in the future... At first I was like "Whats going on??!" and then I realized its just the times that are changing...

MelDJ
March 1st, 2010, 06:01 PM
?

Psumi
March 1st, 2010, 06:06 PM
MelDJ, you didn't get the joke.

s.fox
March 1st, 2010, 06:06 PM
Hello,

This (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuTime) page may be of some interest to you.

-Silver Fox

initramdisk
March 1st, 2010, 06:10 PM
So I installed Ubuntu Karmic right over Windows 7 on my GF's laptop.

How old your grandfather is?

MelDJ
March 1st, 2010, 06:11 PM

thats immediately apparent :)

Psumi
March 1st, 2010, 06:11 PM
thats immediately apparent :)

Times are changing, linux is the future. ;)

MelDJ
March 1st, 2010, 06:15 PM
did the year read "1990"?

ctrlmd
March 1st, 2010, 06:26 PM
ok
wonders what will happen when he installs ubuntu on mac :-\"

Kdar
March 1st, 2010, 06:32 PM
I didn't get the joke at first too....

I was confused :D

Lux Perpetua
March 1st, 2010, 06:36 PM
So I installed Ubuntu Karmic right over Windows 7 on my GF's laptop. During the install, I noticed that the machine time is set to 2 hours in the future... At first I was like "Whats going on??!" and then I realized its just the times that are changing...As Stephen King might say, time is slipping...

In seriousness, though, I had a similar problem recently whereby on every boot, my system clock (via date) would be 8 hours behind, although hwclock would show the correct time. I just did sudo hwclock --hctosys every time, but it got extremely annoying when my filesystem started reporting errors because some timestamps were in the future. It turns out that I had a typo in my rc.conf, so the system clock probably thought my hardware clock was set to UTC, when it's actually localtime (GMT-8, not coincidentally). That's for an Arch Linux system, but maybe there's a similar configuration issue for Ubuntu.

sudoer541
March 1st, 2010, 07:21 PM

At first I was like "huuhhhh??" Then I said "is this guy serious" later, I understood the joke and I LOLed!!!!!!!!!!! ~~*LoL *~~

audiomick
March 1st, 2010, 07:32 PM
http://www.bobdylan.com/#/songs/the-times-they-are-a-changin

;)

standingwave
March 1st, 2010, 10:23 PM
Oh, you know we've got to find a way
To bring some understanding here today

standingwave
March 3rd, 2010, 09:05 PM
As Stephen King might say, time is slipping...Are you sure that wasn't Steve Miller?

NightwishFan
March 3rd, 2010, 09:09 PM
Tick tock tick do do do doo...

forrestcupp
March 3rd, 2010, 09:14 PM
I didn't get the joke at first too....

I was confused :DIt wasn't a very funny joke to get. ;)

How old your grandfather is?
Now that's a funny joke. :)