PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] PS3 and Xbox video format

neill64
March 1st, 2010, 04:02 PM
can anyone tell me if there is a video format that is compatible with the PS3 and XBOX 360 that does not need transcoding. i have tried various formats, some work on PS3 and some work on XBOX but i can find a format that will play on both. i am sure that WMV should work but i can get my PS3 to play it even after enabling WMA playback and i cant get my XBOX to play MP4. i think it mnay be the settings i am using to create the files or the codecs for Video / Audio but i can resolve the problem. any help would be much appreciated.

steev182
March 1st, 2010, 04:08 PM
Try xvid avi files. I don't know the whole details, but just about all xvid files I've thrown at both work nicely.

neill64
March 1st, 2010, 04:32 PM
thanks but i have tried xvid avi files and cant get them to work, that is the annoying thing, i know i have the right formats but just cant get the exact settings that make them work on both XBOX and PS3

snakeman
March 9th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Sure a fictional format called Xvid HD works on Both consoles. You have to google it to get the true specs, but basically its 720p xvid with ac3 5.1 audio. Works great, trying to create one on my ubuntu box is proving to be quite the challenge.

Cheers

snakeman:p