PDA

View Full Version : I want to start a blog

crlang13
March 1st, 2010, 11:00 AM
What's a good, easy to use, free, blog website?

I've attempted to start one before but I can never think of a decent and concise enough topic for the blog... Any ideas?

BackwardsDown
March 1st, 2010, 11:03 AM
Blogger.com, wordpress or baywords.com

jamie_alexander
March 1st, 2010, 12:14 PM
Hi, You might like to start your own blog - with your own URL?

I'd recommend FREEHOSTIA.COM who provide hosting, they have a free hosting option, which will be ideal unless you're expecting to get thousands of visitors (yes, we all hope that but being realistic, when you first start you'll have low traffic). They also provide blogging tools (I use wordpress - easy to use, gret support, flexible and loads of themes and extensions available to make a really funky blog!) and have installation scripts to make it easy.

WWW.CO.CC will give you a free "whatever.CO.CC" domain name! If you go down this route please use this link to sign up:

http://www.co.cc/?id=168888

As for idea's on content, I'm afraid you're on your own there! Feel free to take a look at the blog I created using wordpress, it's www.xander1968.co.cc but please read the disclaimer. If you're interested I also use joomla (again hosted at FREEHOSTIA) for jamie-alexander.com

Hope this helps, if you want any help setting stuff up, feel free to give me a shout,

Slàinte mhor

Jamie

crlang13
March 2nd, 2010, 12:37 AM
Thanks for the ideas guys, I'll check those out.

I know I'm pretty much on my own for ideas :p! Oh well...

Vostrocity
March 2nd, 2010, 12:51 AM
First, you should realize that there are two approaches to a blog. The first is outside-hosted, meaning you just sign up at a website and that's it. The second is self-hosted, meaning you rent a piece of server space and then install your blog software on there. If you want the first approach, Blogger (blogger.com) is definitely the way to go (here's (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/) an example blog). It's owned and funded by Google, which is why it is able to provide so many features for no cost. If you're going for the second approach (which will cost you around $5 a month), then WordPress is a no-brainer. The thing a lot of people get confused about is WordPress.com and WordPress. WordPress.com is a service (meaning outside-hosted) while WordPress is a good (meaning self-hosted). While WordPress is amazing, if you're comparing WordPress.com to Blogger the latter still gives you more features (due to the fact that WordPress.com has to make a living while Blogger just depends on Google).

PhoHammer
March 2nd, 2010, 12:52 AM
Thanks for the ideas guys, I'll check those out.

I know I'm pretty much on my own for ideas :p! Oh well...

I would use Blogger.com. It's easy to get started, you can use your
own TLD name if you want (like billy.com, which is probably taken-- and you have to buy the domain name, of course to use it with Blogger). You can also throw some Google Adsense on it (not allowed by wordpress.com blogs) if you want to make some chump change :)

howlingmadhowie
March 2nd, 2010, 12:56 AM
if you have a dsl connection, you can have a look at dyndns.org and install blogging software and a webserver on your own computer.