PDA

View Full Version : Do you edit Wikipedia?

phrostbyte
March 1st, 2010, 06:12 AM
There might have been a similar topic in the past, but I'd like to structure this as a poll. :)

Giant Speck
March 1st, 2010, 06:16 AM
Normally, I'll just fix spelling and grammar errors, but sometimes, I add some [citation needed] tags.

n0dix
March 1st, 2010, 06:33 AM
Never with the Wikipedia, but moderate with the Spanish Arch Linux Wiki.

blueshiftoverwatch
March 1st, 2010, 06:39 AM
I used to several years ago.

V for Vincent
March 1st, 2010, 07:05 AM
factual errors and glaring spelling/grammar mistakes.

lisati
March 1st, 2010, 07:11 AM
I think I've made a minor grammatical change in one article, and tried to correct an error on TV history in NZ in another article. Must see if I can remember and track down the articles to see if the changes stuck.

WinterMadness
March 1st, 2010, 07:19 AM
grammar mostly.

i think i took something out once that was way way not true but i forget what it was. im pretty sure it was vandalism i dont know though

NET WT
March 1st, 2010, 08:31 AM
I made an account some time ago. Have not made any changes to it yet. Don't know what to do exactly.

earthpigg
March 1st, 2010, 08:45 AM
my last contribution was to the FrostWire article's discussion page:

When you first install and start FrostWire, you must agree that you will "not use it for copyright infringement".

Freedom Zero of the Four Freedoms (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Software#Definition):

" Freedom 0: The freedom to run the program for any purpose. "

copyright infringement is a purpose.

and the 6th part of the Open Source Definition (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Source_Definition):

" 6. No Discrimination Against Fields of Endeavor

The license must not restrict anyone from making use of the program in a specific field of endeavor. For example, it may not restrict the program from being used in a business, or from being used for genetic research. "

whatever your opinion on the matter, copyright infringement clearly qualifies as 'a field of endeavor.'

yet, the first paragraph of this article states the following: "Released under the GNU General Public License, FrostWire is free software."

it takes more than claiming to be released under the GPL for a piece of software to be Free Software.

and to the wikipedia 'people of influence': does it count as original research just because i haven't published an article or editorial on some trash website yet, or should i do that and then change the article? i can do so if needed, it isn't hard. nor is it hard to establish a source as 'credible'... the article currently cites lifehacker.com as a reliable source, for example.

no responses yet. i suppose i should go ahead and make the needed modification.

edit: done. that satisfies my 1-3 times per month, i suppose :P

Paqman
March 1st, 2010, 12:06 PM
I made an account some time ago. Have not made any changes to it yet. Don't know what to do exactly.

Check topics which you're an expert on (ie: stuff to do with your job), and see if the articles are good quality. You're most likely to be able to make useful edits on specific technical topics dealing only with factual stuff.

However, the general quality of Wikipedia artcles is getting pretty good these days. You're a lot less likely to be able to make substantive edits on existing articles than you would have a few years ago.

gnomeuser
March 1st, 2010, 12:11 PM
I generally take a tour of the pseudoscience entries to remove undocumented claims and downright lies.