PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need setup to cleanly upgrade Firefox

watchpocket
March 1st, 2010, 05:33 AM
I ran the ubuntuzilla.py script which went fine until I got the following.

I can only launch FF now in safe-mode from the commandline. Would really like to get these issues sorted out.

Adding `local diversion of /usr/bin/firefox to /usr/bin/firefox.ubuntu'
dpkg-divert: rename involves overwriting `/usr/bin/firefox.ubuntu' with
different file `/usr/bin/firefox', not allowed
sudo dpkg-divert --divert /usr/bin/firefox.ubuntu --rename /usr/bin/firefox
Previous command has failed to complete successfully. Exiting.
Process returned code 2
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/rj/bin/ubuntuzilla.py", line 1331, in <module>
bs.start()
File "/home/rj/bin/ubuntuzilla.py", line 311, in start
fi.start()
File "/home/rj/bin/ubuntuzilla.py", line 354, in start
self.install()
File "/home/rj/bin/ubuntuzilla.py", line 781, in install
self.linkLauncher()
File "/home/rj/bin/ubuntuzilla.py", line 984, in linkLauncher
self.util.execSystemCommand(executionstring="sudo dpkg-divert --divert /usr/bin/firefox.ubuntu --rename /usr/bin/firefox")
File "/home/rj/bin/ubuntuzilla.py", line 154, in execSystemCommand
raise SystemCommandExecutionError, "Command has not completed successfully. If this problem persists, please seek help at our website, " + self.version.url
__main__.SystemCommandExecutionError: Command has not completed successfully. If this problem persists, please seek help at our website, http://ubuntuzilla.sourceforge.net/
ubuntuzilla.py 1.68s user 0.44s system 2% cpu 1:32.39 total

watchpocket
March 1st, 2010, 06:24 AM
I solved this problem with:

ubuntuzilla.py -a remove -p firefox Reason I posted question is, I'd run the above command once, but when it asked:

"Are you sure you want to disable automatic update checking for the official Mozilla build of Firefox?"

I got worried the new install wouldn't check for the updates, so I answered "No".

Wrong thing to do. It won't fully un-install unless you answer yes to that question.
So I ran the remove command again, answering yes, & only then did it do a full un-install so that I could successfully re-install.

nanotube
March 1st, 2010, 03:37 PM
Hi,

you must have looked at some outdated tutorial on the internet. ubuntuzilla is now a ppa with actual firefox/thunderbird/seamonkey packages in it, so there's no need to deal with an installer script.

the latest info is always on http://ubuntuzilla.sourceforge.net/