PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install Ubuntu from an Ubuntu system

ThaddeusW
March 1st, 2010, 01:50 AM
I would like to know if there is an easy way to install Ubuntu to a hard disk from within an existing Ubuntu system. I am quite familiar with the command line method of installing Ubuntu by manually partitioning the disk and using debootstrap but its tedious and time consuming.

I want to be able to hook a hard disk to my existing Ubuntu workstation using a USB SATA drive dock and be able to install Ubuntu to that disk.

Is there a way to use the same GUI installer that the live Ubuntu CD uses? I want to be able to pre-load hard drives with Ubuntu for testing purposes without having to install Ubuntu on the actual machine the disk is to be used in. It would also help if the installer could also install a base installation or a no-gui server install.

Any ideas?

cnntdygrhm
March 1st, 2010, 01:58 AM
I'm having a similar problem. I'm trying to upgrade my netbook from ubuntu 8.04 to ubuntu 9.10 i downloaded the ISO downloaded the usb creator so that i could put it on my thumb drive, create the ISO and reboot with my freshely made ISO thumbdrive. When i reboot i get to the install screen select install and my netbook reboots and starts the process all over again without 9.10 ever being installed. When i select help i get the install screen but if at the very tipy top of my screen you see a 1/2in section that i cant read because it so small for help screen. I have a sylvania meso g netbook. please help

C.S.Cameron
March 2nd, 2010, 04:27 AM
You can clone your install to another drive using dd.