PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I change my drive letter

daveritah
March 1st, 2010, 12:56 AM
I made a mistake when I loaded my Ubuntu and lost my windows xp. When I reloaded my windows, it loaded windows xp into E: instead of C: and designated C: for my usb. How do I change the drive letter from E: back to C: and redirect my usb back to E:?

darkod
March 1st, 2010, 01:04 AM
http://www.google.com/search?q=change+drive+letter+in+windows

Isn't the internet a wonderful thing...

presence1960
March 1st, 2010, 02:39 AM
http://www.google.com/search?q=change+drive+letter+in+windows

Isn't the internet a wonderful thing...

It is a wonderful thing. Some people prefer that you do the legwork for them...what a shame. Google can be your best friend when you have a problem...hint- did you get that? Then after using google and finding no joy you ask for help.

darkod
March 1st, 2010, 01:59 PM
It is a wonderful thing. Some people prefer that you do the legwork for them...what a shame. Google can be your best friend when you have a problem...hint- did you get that? Then after using google and finding no joy you ask for help.

I hate being so harsh but this is a really basic question even if you are not experienced computer user. I understand if some procedure is complicated and you need help, but this...
Plus it's entirely a windows question which just adds to the frustration of not making an effort to find the answer yourself.

presence1960
March 1st, 2010, 04:19 PM
I hate being so harsh but this is a really basic question even if you are not experienced computer user. I understand if some procedure is complicated and you need help, but this...
Plus it's entirely a windows question which just adds to the frustration of not making an effort to find the answer yourself.

I wasn't trying to be harsh but rather let the OP know what responsibilities are expected of each of us in here. An old saying comes to mind which I believe is fitting, "God helps those who help themselves." So it will be in this community also. You have to at least try to solve your problem before asking for help. We understand if an OP can't solve a problem and will gladly help. But someone who does not even try draws my disdain. A simple google search would have given the OP an answer as you so demonstrated.

To the Op: you are welcome in the community. In the future try googling or doing a search of your problem in this forum first. Then if it isn't fixed start a thread.

daveritah
March 1st, 2010, 04:23 PM
I apologize if I have offended or annoyed anyone. In my computing experience, I have never had to partition drives, reassigned drive letters, or much else other than operating the system. It only when I began to explore into installing Ubuntu, that I began to start working with these things. When I loaded Ubuntu and set-up my system for a dual boot, that I made a mistake and wiped drive clean and had to start over again. Once again, I apologize for my inexperience with such things. - Dave

P.S. Thanks for the information, presently I am using a friends system, until mine is up and running, so I limited acess and time to search the internet.

zeroseven0183
March 1st, 2010, 04:25 PM
This is how you do it in Windows. (Thanks to the link)

How to change a drive letter

To change an existing drive letter on a drive, on a partition, or on a volume, follow these steps:

Log on as Administrator or as a member of the Administrators group.
Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Performance and Maintenance.
Click Administrative Tools, double-click Computer Management, and then click Disk Management in the left pane.
Right-click the drive, the partition, the logical drive, or the volume that you want to assign a drive letter to, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.
Click Change.
Click Assign the following drive letter if it is not already selected, click the drive letter that you want to use, and then click OK.
Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the drive letter change.

The drive letter of the drive, the partition, or the volume that you specified is changed, and the new drive letter appears in the appropriate drive, partition, or volume in the Disk Management tool.

zeroseven0183
March 1st, 2010, 04:27 PM
I apologize if I have offended or annoyed anyone. In my computing experience, I have never had to partition drives, reassigned drive letters, or much else other than operating the system. It only when I began to explore into installing Ubuntu, that I began to start working with these things. When I loaded Ubuntu and set-up my system for a dual boot, that I made a mistake and wiped drive clean and had to start over again. Once again, I apologize for my inexperience with such things. - Dave

P.S. Thanks for the information, presently I am using a friends system, until mine is up and running, so I limited acess and time to search the internet.

No problem. We're here to help.
Always a learning experience...

presence1960
March 1st, 2010, 04:30 PM

No need to apologize. As I did say you are welcome in this community. Just try to solve your problems first, then if you can't start a thread. As darko so aptly showed you a simple google search would have done the trick for you. Stick around and happy ubuntuing!

daveritah
March 11th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Problem Resolved:
I just repartitioned the HardDrive again, forcing everything back to the c:/ and reloaded the entire HardDrive with my OS's.
Thanks everyone for your input-Dave